Sponsored by:

Driver Airbag Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Angel55

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Airbag Question

Hey guys,

I am thinking about installing the 370z steering wheel on my 08 350z. I have done the steering wheel and driver airbag swap on my 02 Trailblazer switching to an SS Steering wheel and it worked, however the steering wheel was used NOT new. My concern on doing this swap is "if" I were to purchase a new Driver Airbag from the dealer would I have to get the airbag that I bought from the dealer reprogram? If so, should I just get a used one that is already programed just like I did with the SS steering wheel?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Angel55

anyone?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't be much to program on a new airbag install; if anything, what often needs to be unprogrammed is any errors left behind in the main airbag computer after a deployment or fault. What kind of programming was necessary on the Trailblazer? It should be a simple question of compatibility - is the current required to deploy the airbag the same for the 370 unit as it is for the 350, and is the resistance that the main airbag computer sees from the new 370 unit the same as that of the 350.

If it's compatible, it should be plug and play. And if you find yourself trying to diagnose 350z airbag codes, check out the Autel AL619 for about $140.....it reads and clears SRS codes in our 350z's.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Angel55

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
Shouldn't be much to program on a new airbag install; if anything, what often needs to be unprogrammed is any errors left behind in the main airbag computer after a deployment or fault. What kind of programming was necessary on the Trailblazer? It should be a simple question of compatibility - is the current required to deploy the airbag the same for the 370 unit as it is for the 350, and is the resistance that the main airbag computer sees from the new 370 unit the same as that of the 350.

If it's compatible, it should be plug and play. And if you find yourself trying to diagnose 350z airbag codes, check out the Autel AL619 for about $140.....it reads and clears SRS codes in our 350z's.
For the trailblazer there was no need for reprogram because it was already programmed, which is why i bought it used and was able to install it with no problems.

I have seen both the 350z and the 370z on how to remove the steering wheel and both of them completely look the same. So the installment is not the issue but rather the reprogram part.

If i were to purchase the driver airbag from the dealer would I need to reprogram the air bag since airbag is not programmed yet similar to the tmps? Lets say that i were to buy new tmps i would definately need to get the tmps reprogram. So shouldnt this example apply to the driver airbag?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Angel55

I have seen aftermarket 350z steering wheels without any airbag and that suprised me.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TPMS is wireless, hence the need to make each of the four transmitters in the wheels talk to the receiving unit. The airbag system is all hard-wired plug-and-play.

The only thing to program regarding the airbag system is going to be the main airbag computer, and that's only if its holding a code due to something like a deployment. Replacing any single component of the system, whether it be the airbags, steering wheel clock spring, or the seat belt tensioners, should be a bolt-in, bolt-out process absent a deployment or corruption of the main airbag computer.

If you are showing no fault codes in your airbag system now, if your airbag light is not on now........you should be able to install your new 370 airbag unit without issue. Again, my concern with the 370 airbag would be whether or not the voltage/current required to deploy it is the same as that of the 350 unit. If that question is answered, you should be a go for this.

My answer to your question is no, there's nothing to program.

Many of the guys here who either track their cars or who have installed a steering wheel with no airbag utilize a bypass to keep the airbag computer happy. The airbag computer is happy as long as it sees a certain resistance at the airbags and seat belt tensioners. When one of these is deployed or removed, that resistance changes, pissing off the airbag computer. The bypass is connected over the leads that normally would have been connected to the airbag, keeping the computer happy and the rest of the system ready to operate.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Angel55

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
The TPMS is wireless, hence the need to make each of the four transmitters in the wheels talk to the receiving unit. The airbag system is all hard-wired plug-and-play.

The only thing to program regarding the airbag system is going to be the main airbag computer, and that's only if its holding a code due to something like a deployment. Replacing any single component of the system, whether it be the airbags, steering wheel clock spring, or the seat belt tensioners, should be a bolt-in, bolt-out process absent a deployment or corruption of the main airbag computer.

If you are showing no fault codes in your airbag system now, if your airbag light is not on now........you should be able to install your new 370 airbag unit without issue. Again, my concern with the 370 airbag would be whether or not the voltage/current required to deploy it is the same as that of the 350 unit. If that question is answered, you should be a go for this.

My answer to your question is no, there's nothing to program.

Many of the guys here who either track their cars or who have installed a steering wheel with no airbag utilize a bypass to keep the airbag computer happy. The airbag computer is happy as long as it sees a certain resistance at the airbags and seat belt tensioners. When one of these is deployed or removed, that resistance changes, pissing off the airbag computer. The bypass is connected over the leads that normally would have been connected to the airbag, keeping the computer happy and the rest of the system ready to operate.
Thanks for the tips. Now I can be sure not to worry about the reprogram airbag issue.