Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bored of my cars look...what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Bored of my cars look...what am I missing?

*UPDATE 6/11/14: Pictures of new parts on page 3*

Basically I feel like my car is missing something (or more likely a few things) to make it stand out. Even with my current visual mods I feel like it's too plain/unaggressive looking. Here's how it looks currently...

and my current visual mods (most can be seen from the pic):
nismo v2 kit
wheels
lowered on coilovers
exhaust
wiper delete
30% tint
s2k antenna
red muteki lugs

Some info on my mindset right now and the possibilities I have in mind to make the car look more modded, aggressive, etc

-As far as color theme, I'm so tired of my color. I loved the san marino blue at first, but I'm really wishing I went with black. I know I can vinyl wrap it, but I'm not a big fan of vinyl and rather put that money towards other things. So it's gotta stay SMB for now which I think is part of why my car doesn't stand out too much. The really cool looking cars I've noticed have 1 of 2 themes:
1. major contrasting parts of the car (bright paint with dark wheels/emblems/tint/etc)
2. darker colors like black can usually go with an all dark or blacked out look that works really well.
I'm currently not headed towards either. Since SMB is dark as it is, maybe I should go for an aggressive all dark look (black wheels, black door handles, black or debadged emblems).

-I was deciding between the v2 front and the amuse front, went with the v2, but am now wishing I went with the amuse instead. If I ever bang up my front end or when the time comes that it needs replacing, the amuse is what I'm going with

-It definitely needs a BBK. I plan on getting the akebono front and rear kit this spring. Havent decided on a color yet though, and CZP says they can powdercoat any color I want. I'm currently deciding between red, light blue (similar to that light rotora blue), or gold (like brembo gold except a few shades lighter). I've been trying to narrow down which color calipers would go well with my car color and the color of my wheels, which are typically gunmetal as shown in the picture, gloss black, or gold. I'm thinking red (as common as it may be) would go the best with those 3 colors of wheels.

-I love the Seibon TS hood, especially the HR version so I'd consider getting it.

-I'm happy with the height of the front, but I'm going to lower the rear slightly as I'm currently a bit raked. Maybe the slight drop will help?

-My current set of wheels are a +22 offset, so I'm thinking 5 or 10 mm spacers would help the stance a bit.

-I don't like rear wings, so I'm gonna stay wingless.

-Slightly darker tint? I'd go down to 20%.

So, a bit of a long post, but any feedback on my ideas and/or any additional ideas of your own that I haven't thought of? There are so many sick looking cars on this forum, a bunch that I look at and think to myself that I wish my car looked as good. I'd really appreciate any opinions and suggestions

Last edited by Phenom; 06-11-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

my sister, of all people, told me back in the day, 'less is more'...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car needs more MW2.

Lol, seriously though, your car looks good as is man, all you need is a bbk.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i think a nice set of all black wheels would look nice along with matte black headlights and matte gray vinyl wrap.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by vex008
i think a nice set of all black wheels would look nice along with matte black headlights and matte gray vinyl wrap.
Make it even more plain and boring?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I think if you put the canards on the nismo V2 front, it will look so much more aggressive. Look through other pictures of v2 kits and you'll see what I mean. That bumper looks weak without canards IMO
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

i think it looks good how it sits! but i know how ya feel. i got tired of my silver color really fast. never got tired of my red z.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I think a wing or something may help too. something like the blitz rear wing or the stillen
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Paint the body kit below the character line SB + mirrors, door handles, and roof SB as well. It'll contrast nicely in daylight.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Make it even more plain and boring?
sorry it doesnt excite you. but tired of how it looks and that would be a change.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Few suggestions:

*spoiler - the duckbill type like Carbon Signal, Blitz, etc

*Mastergrade TS diffuser. If not, rear bumper tuck it (depends what type of exhausts you got though).

*CF HR Style Seibon TS hood

*put on those canards

*sell the wheels, get a new set and paint them with bold / bright colors. Check out Forgestar F14 Superdeep concave design. When I get my RPF1's I would paint the left set deep orange and then something like mag blue on the other side (just to offset the boring color of my chrome silver Z). IMO 19" TE37 in mercury silver would look sick on your Z as well.

*front tow-hook if you're "jdm-tyt yo"

*remove tint.

IMO your car looks great. Just add a few touches here and there if you're bored and she's golden.

Last edited by 350Zdj; 03-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big brakes would look great on your car
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
michaelm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big brake kit and new wheels. Everyone likes black wheels now. It is the current trend. Your blue paint would look best with polished alloy though (IMO). Work Gnosis HS202 would look sweet with nice big rotors and calipers. Work Emotion 11R would look nice also. Then treat your paint to about four coats of Soveran
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Salad bar wing= aggressive. Sorry, I know you don't like it.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Many people love everything about the 350Z; also, many people think it’s too big, too heavy, not nimble enough, too slow etc. However, everybody tends to agree that the shape, the proportions, the styling details are perfect, beautiful, iconic even. In the same league as the super iconic 911, but priced for the everyman’s (woman’s) pocketbook. You have done a great job of keeping the Z’s organic shape while adding your own personal look. Be careful tossing a bunch of contrasting bits and colors into the mix. A Z can be built to emulate a GT3 class race car, bright colors aggressive body kit, wheel flares etc and look good. Anything between your car as it sits now and the “in your face aggressive race look" rarely looks right and never stands the test of time.

Next time you find yourself in Midtown Manhattan, pop into the museum of modern art. In addition to traveling exhibits of some of the most beautiful cars of the last 100 years check out the cars in the permanent collection. Mostly plebeian things like the first jeep, beetle and so on, but then you see it, a Cisitalia. An unassuming thing, but also a thing of perfection, a continuous flow of unbroken curves. This mid 1940s sports car was one of the Pininfarina design studio’s early masterpieces, a two-seat coupe with a sloping rear hatch, much like a 350Z.

Standing back and studying the little Cisitalia, you will be hard pressed to see how a bunch of stick-on canards, wings, off tone painted door handles etc could in any way improve on its look. 60 years from now, somewhere in a che che design house, people will gaze on a 350Z in the same manner. Right now your Z could be that car in the museum, but if you over do it….
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-01-2017)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
dessidee90

Gold wheels?? I think that would look nice on smb and it would also bring the car out some imo
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go with the amuse front! it'll give a more agressive look imo.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope it's just a phase you're going through because your Z is perfect. If you want to change it up a bit, get some wheels. You'll probably stop thinking about modding (at least for a little bit) afer dropping that much on $$ on wheels.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 AM
jomamahama

i almost thought this was a troll post...if that helps with your decision.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

brembos
black the head lights tastefully
V3 front and sides

that well empty those pockets...

Quick Reply: Bored of my cars look...what am I missing?