Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Hood Vents - APR NACA Ducts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Instead of shimming the hood you could try removing the rear weather/rubber strip to let the air escape.
I've been thinking about this. It could be one of the most effective/cheapest mod ever..
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I've taken the plastics (and the wiper assembly) toward the back of the engine bay out before and, IIRC, that actually gives you quite a bit of opening between the hood and the engine bay. It can look a little unsightly if you look straight down and depending on what you have there (I have some wiring there), you may not want that area directly exposed to the elements.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to remove the rubber seals for the hood and the battery/brake mc covers.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM
QTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen flow characteristics for the Z but the cowl near the windshield is typically a high pressure zone. Which means you'll be pulling air into the hood from there actually slowing air flow through the radiator, creating more heat build up. Which is why they seal off that cowl area, along with a few other reasons. If the Z is different I'd like to see some data or studies. The air coming into the engine bay typically will flow down over the headers and under the car, which isn't ideal either but more practical for a street car than cutting holes in the hood/fenders.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QTB
I haven't seen flow characteristics for the Z but the cowl near the windshield is typically a high pressure zone. Which means you'll be pulling air into the hood from there actually slowing air flow through the radiator, creating more heat build up. Which is why they seal off that cowl area, along with a few other reasons. If the Z is different I'd like to see some data or studies. The air coming into the engine bay typically will flow down over the headers and under the car, which isn't ideal either but more practical for a street car than cutting holes in the hood/fenders.
This is correct.

Removing the rear weatherstrip will have the air coming in the grille fighting the air coming in from the back of the hood.

Anyone Remember Cowl induction hoods? They used the high pressure zone to direct air coming INTO the engine bay into the intake.

So shims, removing weather stripping, etc =
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, ya all I've done is removed the weather strip and the battery/braker master etc covers. They go back on in literally a min.
I do remember cowl induction hoods and the air is being INDUCED by the engine drawing the air in on a carburated motor. They didnt work by air being forced in, but by the engine pulling in from the low pressure zone right below where the air hits the windshield.

The space Ive created by removing those couple things IMO will allow some heat out with convection.

I'll end up buying a cf vented hood but I'll be painting it. But low priority, i'd rather get a Koyo rad.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Pete5150

Default Hmm

Not a fan of how those vents look, but for discussion's sake, what if those were installed the other direction (points towards the window)? Would it improve flow from the grill through the radiator and out the hood?
Attached Thumbnails Custom Hood Vents - APR NACA Ducts?-image.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Nice, ya all I've done is removed the weather strip and the battery/braker master etc covers. They go back on in literally a min.
I do remember cowl induction hoods and the air is being INDUCED by the engine drawing the air in on a carburated motor. They didnt work by air being forced in, but by the engine pulling in from the low pressure zone right below where the air hits the windshield.

The space Ive created by removing those couple things IMO will allow some heat out with convection.

I'll end up buying a cf vented hood but I'll be painting it. But low priority, i'd rather get a Koyo rad.

The Cowl area is a high pressure zone, meaning the air is going to just push its way in if theres room for it.. A lot of cars on ITBs do the shimmed hood thing to allow air to come into the ITBs.

Not only will this disrupt aerodynamics of the car (air should flow over it, not over the hood, into the engine bay [causing turbulence at that location] and then over the car.), But It really has no benefits for the Z.At idle, yes, it will allow for some heat to escape through there, but in motion?Na.

IMO the shimmed hood is more of a style thing.

If you are looking at maximing cooling, pre radiator is where you want some scoops...Name:  IMG_8832.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  51.0 KB
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pete5150
Not a fan of how those vents look, but for discussion's sake, what if those were installed the other direction (points towards the window)? Would it improve flow from the grill through the radiator and out the hood?
They ARE pointed towards the window....?

This design should aid in allowing air thats been heated up by the radiator (and the engine, and the exhaust manifold lol) to escape.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Pete5150

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
They ARE pointed towards the window....?

This design should aid in allowing air thats been heated up by the radiator (and the engine, and the exhaust manifold lol) to escape.
OP wants the points towards the nose so air "rams" in. I was asking about tips towards the windshield so air escapes out like those louvres in the pic I posted.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pete5150
OP wants the points towards the nose so air "rams" in. I was asking about tips towards the windshield so air escapes out like those louvres in the pic I posted.
The design you posted would be very effective in dissipating heat.