Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Envious Eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint question

ok, I, for the life of me, couldnt find a single blend line in any jamb, on any panel, or under any trim piece...

I was working on a 35z from 2008 in silver color. The paint was on the harder side of things, tons of "fish eyes" all over, paint runs both vertical and horizontal, and more orange peel on some panels compared to others...

the owner swears this car was never repainted according to the guy she paid to inspect the car from carmax. Under the hood, the underside was spotless, and there was a residue of some sort all over everything...and there was compound like you would see from a poor detailing from a body shop...

again, she swears no repaint.

I took out my PTG and it measured pretty even all over from the front fenders to the rear trunk 90-100, but the hood was 115-120 average.

Does this sound like a repaint? I have only worked on about 3 350/370z's in the past, so I am not SUPER knowledgeable with nissan paint....gtr paint is stupid soft, ferrari paint is middle of the road, BMW is both hard and soft depending on color (mineral white hard, jet black soft), etc...

any input? possible that it was a full repaint...fisheyes were on all but two random panels, the hood had 1/3 of it with more orange peel than the rest, the rear convertible top deck (when closed) was SUPER scratched and hazy and massive orange peel, the paint was harder than normal nissan paint, the paint blobs were on both sides....factory paint issues or repaint? my gut says repaint
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Plenty of Z's for sale, move on. Nissan paint isn't the best, but it's not nearly as bad as you're describing.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Eric, as you know factory paint will often have more than expected orange peel, but I doubt you’ve ever seen a run or even a sag on original paint. Sounds like a single coat of clear (heavy with reducer, to get it to blend in seamlessly). This would help to explain the fish eye.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I’m assuming you’re a detailer working on this car. My dad who had a lot of patience, used to wet sand most of this type of carnage out of the finish before polishing.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like a repaint.. Bad spray with good prep/tape.

The most common problem I've heard about with Z's is chips on the front bumper/front half of hood from daily-driving but nothing about "massive orange peel" or "hazy".

I own a '08 Z in Silver Alloy and the worst of my paint is simply micro-scratches that are easily smoothed by wax or polish.

Hopefully someone chimes in that has actually measured the depth of their oem paint. A friend of mine did before rolling my rear fenders but I can't for the life of me remember what the number was.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:45 PM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fish eyes are caused by contamination in the painting process.