Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katzkin Leather Seat Install (Burnt Orange)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:00 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Timeltel: thanks for clarifying the warranty..I was told by the installer that no chemical of any kind was allowed. The shop in question doesn't have a very good reputation though going by people I've talked to about them, so this would explain a little of why their reputation is one of dishonesty. Thanks again for bringing facts forward.

Hey any chance we could see a pic of your interior? Sounds like it's really coming along nicely. I'm an interior guy...it's where we experience the car so I think it should be as nice as it can be...really like seeing what others have done. My own is about two thirds done....next year sometime I plan on having everything tweaked just right...coughstopkiddingyourselfcough.

Anyway...would love to see some pics if you have the time sometime.

Oh...and regarding putting orange on the doors....if you like that look you can do that of course, and RedLine is top of the line and worth every penny...but....I will say that orange on the doors makes the doors the first thing you see when you look inside, or the second thing...and the orange then becomes kinda distracting as the eye looks over an interior....I'd focus on making the dash, waterfall, shifter, steering wheel and seats the main attractions...and everything else is playing a supporting role, and part of a supporting role includes not trying to compete for attention with the main areas of interest...just like music....every instrument and vocalist has a volume level that blends in with the other instruments...if they all play the same volume to get your attention it all becomes a mess....making everything dramatic or eye catching will make for a busy looking interior that doesn't gel...too many Z's get this kind of treatment in my opinion, when in reality the Z interior can be very very classy when upgraded nicely, but it takes some thinking on what to do and what not to do. I would do black leather with orange stitching on the door panels if you decide to upgrade them. The leather on the doors does look fantastic...have seen RedLine door pads and it's a beautiful upscale of a Z's interior.

A steering wheel redo with RedLine is another thing that really brings an interior together and isn't too too hard to stitch up....just takes a long time to do, but black with orange stitching could also look good.

Do whatever YOU really like of course...just trying to help and share the things I've learned.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 06-28-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
savedbygrace

I would avoid using Saddle Soap on car leather:

http://www.autogeek.net/nosasopl.html

Bickmore Leather (Bick 4) conditioner is one of the better ones and it cleans as well. Or Leather Honey.

Amazon.com : Bickmore - Bick 4 Leather Conditioner 16 Ounces : Horse Saddle Accessories : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Bickmore - Bick 4 Leather Conditioner 16 Ounces : Horse Saddle Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I’ve used saddle soap for 60+ years with great results. It’s the best thing to use on naturally tanned leather. I suppose it’s called saddle soap because it’s been popular for cleaning riding saddles forever.

I would use it on quality leather interiors tanned with a natural process, such as those from Katzkins.

I would not use it artificially tanned leather (commonly seen in inexpensive leather car interiors and home furniture).

Google “chromium tanning chemistry” to understand the difference.

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
I would avoid using Saddle Soap on car leather:

http://www.autogeek.net/nosasopl.html

Bickmore Leather (Bick 4) conditioner is one of the better ones and it cleans as well. Or Leather Honey.

Amazon.com : Bickmore - Bick 4 Leather Conditioner 16 Ounces : Horse Saddle Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
savedbygrace

Hi Spike,

I can see why you'd use Saddle Soap if it kept working for you, but I wouldn't risk it when better products exist. The quote at end of this post gives me some concern.

Bick 4 and Leather Honey are clearly less work, less potential for problem, and a better product and process overall.

"Saddle soap is also notoriously alkaline – and alkalinity actually damages leather. Alkalinity can abrade both the hide itself and the stitching which binds it. With all the great leather care products available at market; there is simply no reason to opt for saddle soap."

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 06-29-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw this thread, seats look great and are nearly identical to my OEM burnt orange

I will be getting my drivers seat eventually redone (bolsters are worn) by a professional upholsterer rather than going with Katzkin but this is a really premium option for someone to use
Old 06-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Bedore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seats look awesome and it's a great color combo. Also the shift ****/boot really looks nice.

As for leather products I highly recommend Lexol brand products. The cleaner/conditioner has always worked great for me. They also have neatsfoot leather care for lighter colored leather. I have also had very good luck with Chamberlain's Leather Milk No.4 for badly soiled and abused leather but if you keep on top of your leather care Lexol cleaner/conditioner will work great.

It's a shame that most people who buy vehicles with leather seats have no idea that it needs regular care. I have educated many folks on proper leather seat care so hopefully the next owner will thank me.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Tenacious T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike, I'm curious, has the leather tightened up around the bolsters of the seats now that it's had time to heat up and contract? Any more recent pics?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Spike100

Yes, the leather continues adapting more closely to the foam and seat's understructure. I doubt all the wrinkles will disappear completely. Actually I'm hoping the leather does not become much more smooth; too perfect looks artificial (resembling a flat vinyl covering). --Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-02-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Correct a typo
Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Spike100

I also have an off-road vehicle that I actually use off-road. So… It gets dirty (really dirty… mud and clay and grime), and it has leather seats.

I’ve found the best way to clean dirt, mud, and grime from the leather seats is saddle soap.
  1. I apply the soap with a rag and a little water to remove the real dirt.
  2. I then use a moist cloth to remove any residual soap and dry the seats.
  3. Now the seats are clean, but they are dry from the soap (an alkaline cleaner) and require an application of conditioner.
I use Lexol products. I have no idea how this product line compares to others, but it’s worked well for me.
--Spike

Hi Spike,

I can see why you'd use Saddle Soap if it kept working for you, but I wouldn't risk it when better products exist. The quote at end of this post gives me some concern.

Bick 4 and Leather Honey are clearly less work, less potential for problem, and a better product and process overall.

"Saddle soap is also notoriously alkaline – and alkalinity actually damages leather. Alkalinity can abrade both the hide itself and the stitching which binds it. With all the great leather care products available at market; there is simply no reason to opt for saddle soap."

Saved
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Spike100

Thanks for replying to the thread. I appreciate your comments. I agree with your wise comments about maintaining leather seats.

It’s interesting you mention Lexol; that is also my favorite. I started using it after noticing the product line was very popular with professional cleaners.
--Spike

Originally Posted by Bedore
The seats look awesome and it's a great color combo. Also the shift ****/boot really looks nice.

As for leather products I highly recommend Lexol brand products. The cleaner/conditioner has always worked great for me. They also have neatsfoot leather care for lighter colored leather. I have also had very good luck with Chamberlain's Leather Milk No.4 for badly soiled and abused leather but if you keep on top of your leather care Lexol cleaner/conditioner will work great.

It's a shame that most people who buy vehicles with leather seats have no idea that it needs regular care. I have educated many folks on proper leather seat care so hopefully the next owner will thank me.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:39 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks for the helpful info Spike...truly appreciate it....I'm no expert but am always wanting to add more knowledge to the brain database and share what I know if it helps someone.

Question for ya....for vehicles with cloth interior....any input on how best to clean the seats when it's not leather? There's a vehicle in my family that has cloth seats that has some water stains and dirt/food stains from being used over the years without giving the seats the detailing attention they could use...they're not horrible but I'd like to restore them to as like new as possible.

Any recommendations...and a PM is fine and appreciated if this is an unwanted potential hijack of this thread....not my intent at all...just would love to learn how to fix up those seats while we're on the topic of interior design and care.

Thanks sincerely,

Saved
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Woolite makes a great upholstery cleaner. Comes in an aerosol can with a plastic scrub brush built in to the top. You can find it in grocery stores, WalMart, etc. I've been using it on my '08 Z's cloth seats since it was new.

http://www.woolitecarpet.com/Product...2/Product.aspx
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Spike100

My wife is the one who put me onto Woolite. This is the product dcains recommends in his reply, and for good reason. It works, and it does not ruin the fabric you are cleaning.

Start with Woolite, and if that does work (won’t remove the stains), then you escalate to the next upholstery cleaner (that may damage the fabric).

It’s a tradeoff: Is the stain worse than the removal damage?

You might also want to look at the Cleaning and Detailing subforum on this site for more information.

Thanks for the helpful info Spike...truly appreciate it....I'm no expert but am always wanting to add more knowledge to the brain database and share what I know if it helps someone.

Question for ya....for vehicles with cloth interior....any input on how best to clean the seats when it's not leather? There's a vehicle in my family that has cloth seats that has some water stains and dirt/food stains from being used over the years without giving the seats the detailing attention they could use...they're not horrible but I'd like to restore them to as like new as possible.

Any recommendations...and a PM is fine and appreciated if this is an unwanted potential hijack of this thread....not my intent at all...just would love to learn how to fix up those seats while we're on the topic of interior design and care.

Thanks sincerely,

Saved

Last edited by Spike100; 07-02-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks Dcains and Spike, I have some in a cabinet somewhere....I'll give it a whirl...forgot I even had some.

I'll check out the thread you mentioned as well if that doesn't clear it as much as I'd like. I've seen enzymes take away mild to medium grease stains...but they leave a residue...or does somebody know if those outline stains of where enzymes did their zyming can be removed? Random question I know...thought just came to me as I remember there is an "outline stain" of when some grease was removed.

Saved
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Spike100

Adding a photo showing the most recent burnt orange piece in my interior….

Name:  IMG_1761_zpsad6fcc82.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  139.0 KB

I installed a padded armrest on top of the tunnel between the driver and passenger seat. The pad covers the glove box lid between the seats.

The pad serves two functions (apart from appearance):
  • It provides a comfortable center console armrest. I was surprised how functional it is.
  • It prevents passengers from inadvertently bumping and activating/deactivating the rocker switches between the driver and passenger seats (I added three switches to control seat heaters and a GPS).

I think the armrest pad also improves the interior’s appearance. It bridges the seats, and it provides continuity forward to the shifter and its burnt orange colored boot.

Last edited by Spike100; 07-27-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I like it.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Spike100

^^ Thanks for the reply.

I’m honestly surprised at the function added by the armrest pad. It provides a very comfortable place to rest my arm while on road trips.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Spike100

I took new pictures to help answering your question.

Originally Posted by Tenacious T
Spike, I'm curious, has the leather tightened up around the bolsters of the seats now that it's had time to heat up and contract? Any more recent pics?

Seats immediately after recovered with Katzkin leather.

Name:  IMG_17041024x768_zps41a1da79.jpg
Views: 3888
Size:  56.8 KB

Seats 3 months later.

Name:  IMG_1761_zpsad6fcc82.jpg
Views: 3153
Size:  139.0 KB

If you inspect the pictures carefully, you notice a quality leather seat covering that continues adapting to the seat’s frame architecture. Looking t the pictures it is obvious that the “wrinkles” are disappearing.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I really like your seats Spike! They did a great job on them, looks like top quality work.

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-01-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

/\/\ +1

Looks much better than I would have thought on a redline.

I installed my own Burnt Orange Katzkins in 2004. I would recommend a professional. Worth every penny

Quick Reply: Katzkin Leather Seat Install (Burnt Orange)