Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014 | 05:31 AM
bmanf

Default Car Covers

I just got a CoverCraft Block IT Evolution car cover. I am really happy with my purchase, fits like a glove. But now someone is telling me I should not leave it on in the sun because it will trap in the heat, heat up the paint, and it will start to bubble under the clear coat. I thought I was protecting my paint from the sun? CoverCraft's site says the cover is good for protecting from UV rays and the cover is breathable, letting heat escape. However, this person says he is a detailer and sees it all the time. Now I am really confused and paranoid. Anyone have any advice? Just for reference I live in NJ and the car is in direct sunlight half the day. I basically just have converted my 07 350 from a daily driver to a weekend car. I want to wash it, cover it, drive it, then repeat. Please help.

Car Covers-cover.jpg
Old 05-26-2014 | 06:27 AM
KornerCarver

I think a car cover does far more harm than good. They trap heat and moisture and the wind moves the cover and makes small scratches in the paint. About the only use I see for a cover is inside a garage and only as a dust cover.
Old 05-26-2014 | 06:47 AM
Syner

I haven't heard the paint and moisture issue. But I don't use them because they can leave scratches in your paint if your car isn't clean.
Old 06-13-2014 | 11:57 AM
Waiz
Premier Member
Premier Member

Sorry, just noticed this thread.

I have been using car covers on my Z for the last 7 years. I had your current car cover and it got damaged by the sun and the manufacturer replaced under warranty. The newer version of the Evolution covers is supposed to be better resistant to the sun and you should not have a problem with that.

Although, if you are parking your car completely outside I would suggest you instead switch to the NOAH cover and sell your current cover to someone on the forum. That Evolution cover is water-resistant and the NOAH is completely water-proof.

http://www.covercraft.com/cartlink/i...t&prod_id=ccnh

A quality, modern car cover will not damage the paint or allow mold to grow or whatever false assumption that I keep seeing on this and other forums. In fact the modern covers have a really good level of breathability and will not damage the paint.

As long as you ensure that your car isn't too dirty when you cover it you won't damage the paint or create any additional scratches.
Old 06-13-2014 | 12:02 PM
Waiz
Premier Member
Premier Member

Additional info:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...endations.html

If you are in a carport or somewhat covered then the Evolution is good, the NOAH is the one that I use on both my Z and my Honda Fit since I have to park completely outdoors with no shade at all.
Old 06-13-2014 | 12:05 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Sorry, just noticed this thread.

I have been using car covers on my Z for the last 7 years. I had your current car cover and it got damaged by the sun and the manufacturer replaced under warranty. The newer version of the Evolution covers is supposed to be better resistant to the sun and you should not have a problem with that.

Although, if you are parking your car completely outside I would suggest you instead switch to the NOAH cover and sell your current cover to someone on the forum. That Evolution cover is water-resistant and the NOAH is completely water-proof.

http://www.covercraft.com/cartlink/i...t&prod_id=ccnh

A quality, modern car cover will not damage the paint or allow mold to grow or whatever false assumption that I keep seeing on this and other forums. In fact the modern covers have a really good level of breathability and will not damage the paint.

As long as you ensure that your car isn't too dirty when you cover it you won't damage the paint or create any additional scratches.
I have one covering an older car that needs to be rebuilt. It "breathes" like housewrap. Basically wicking moisture out, while preventing moisture from coming in.
Old 06-13-2014 | 12:12 PM
Waiz
Premier Member
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Syner
I have one covering an older car that needs to be rebuilt. It "breathes" like housewrap. Basically wicking moisture out, while preventing moisture from coming in.
Exactly, I have noticed the same thing.

There is alot of false information floating around dismissing car covers but those of them who have invested in the quality versions know what's up
Old 06-13-2014 | 12:15 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Exactly, I have noticed the same thing.

There is alot of false information floating around dismissing car covers but those of them who have invested in the quality versions know what's up
Like you said, the only thing to really make sure of is that your car is clean.