Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

How to Install Veilside 1 Lip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004 | 09:37 PM
tekkensux

Default How to Install Veilside 1 Lip?

Hey guys,

Got my Veilside 1 lip ready to install on my own.
Does anyone have any tips on how to install this?
Is it easier to stick on the center part of the lip and work
out or work from one side to the other side?
Please help me out. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:51 PM
Wedge

Well, I haven't installed one yet but I have the exact lip being painted right now and will be putting it on next week. I have talked to some people who have installed them as well as asking a body shop person how he would do it. Here is what I am going to do based on recommendations from those I talked to.

First, I will get a helper to assist in a test fit of the part. Once we get it into position where it is centered, at the right height and lined up with the existing bolts on the right and left of the front bumper, I will draw a line along the top edge with a grease pencil. I will also make some vertical hash marks with the grease pencil (marks on the bumper and the lip that meet). These will then be my guides for installing the lip permanently.

They tell me to pull a 2-3" tail from the paper covering the double sided tape and extend this tail up from behind the lip. Then you line up the lip along the grease pencil marks, and pull the "tail" which will expose the double sided tape behind the lip. By gradually exposing the double sided tape, you have to opportunity to make adjustments if the lip moves off your guide marks.

Finally, I will place the four existing bolt through the holes in the lip and tighten them. I believe there is one hole on each side of the lip which will be screwed into the wheel well after drilling a small hole in the wheel wells.

Then I will wipe off the grease pencil marks and hopefully admire my work.

I have the urethane lip, which one do you have?

Let me know how your installation goes.

Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:42 PM
mgl

Originally posted by Wedge
Well, I haven't installed one yet but I have the exact lip being painted right now and will be putting it on next week. I have talked to some people who have installed them as well as asking a body shop person how he would do it. Here is what I am going to do based on recommendations from those I talked to.

First, I will get a helper to assist in a test fit of the part. Once we get it into position where it is centered, at the right height and lined up with the existing bolts on the right and left of the front bumper, I will draw a line along the top edge with a grease pencil. I will also make some vertical hash marks with the grease pencil (marks on the bumper and the lip that meet). These will then be my guides for installing the lip permanently.

They tell me to pull a 2-3" tail from the paper covering the double sided tape and extend this tail up from behind the lip. Then you line up the lip along the grease pencil marks, and pull the "tail" which will expose the double sided tape behind the lip. By gradually exposing the double sided tape, you have to opportunity to make adjustments if the lip moves off your guide marks.

Finally, I will place the four existing bolt through the holes in the lip and tighten them. I believe there is one hole on each side of the lip which will be screwed into the wheel well after drilling a small hole in the wheel wells.

Then I will wipe off the grease pencil marks and hopefully admire my work.

I have the urethane lip, which one do you have?

Let me know how your installation goes.

Good Luck!

wow dean!!! you got that lip install down to a science!!!
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:14 AM
Wedge

Thanks Michelle! That procedure looks good on paper, let's see how I do when I actually put it to the test next week. I will let you know.

I can't wait to get the lip on my car. Ever since I saw it on your car in the pics you posted, I have wanted one.

I got a nice surprise when UPS delivered my lip on Tuesday. I was checking it for any shipping type damage and noticed that 3M double sided tape had already been applied all along the top edge of the lip. Saved me a trip to the store.
Old 02-05-2004 | 01:14 PM
wakaZ

Yes...thanks for the info...just picked one up as well
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:52 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Did you get the CF or Urethane one?

Bat™
Old 02-05-2004 | 04:04 PM
Tim'sZ

If you are going with either the CF or Fiberglass you need to call Ray at Veilside and ask him to e-mail or fax you the proper instructions. I don't care how careful you are, the ends will crack as soon as you release the bottom of front bumper cover. I have installed 2 of them and they both cracked on the outer edges. On the 3rd attempt I called Veilside and Ray faxed over some very helpful instructions, just too dang bad he did not send them with the first 2.
Old 02-05-2004 | 04:07 PM
havabooz

veilside instructions basically say that 1+1=2

what they dont tell you is that you need 2 people..cant get a better explanation that wedge...just know that once the tape sticks its annoying to get it off ..so make sure that its the correct spot when you tape it on
Old 02-05-2004 | 04:19 PM
Tim'sZ

No No, the instructions Ray sent me shows where to dremel some of the material off the upper edge of spoiler that presses against the front bumper, the problem is that there is so much pressure on the spolier that it cracks around the very edges, this has been documented on numerous occasions. You need to tell him that you want the instructions on how to keep spoiler from cracking, that is unless you decide to go with urethane.
Old 02-05-2004 | 06:00 PM
Strife350z

where can I get a copy of the instructions? does ray have an email address? Tim: could you send me a copy? I'm getting the VS lip soon too!
Old 02-05-2004 | 09:01 PM
tekkensux

Whoa, Wedge you just scared the living crap outta me!
That is ALOT more complex that I ever thought this to be haha.
I have the urethane one too. EDL ripped my paint when they were clear-bra-ing it! I met TwistedZ who was re-wrapping the lip too. Cool guy, cool car. Man....make sure Edre of EDL wraps your stuff....well I guess if I am detailed and patient I can do this on my own...who knows maybe I should get my paint/body shop to do this....
Old 02-05-2004 | 09:27 PM
Wedge

haha.......didn't mean to scare the crap out of you.......either living or dead.......lol

Typing the instructions make them sound a lot more complicated than they are. I am just going to try to make sure I get it in the right spot before letting the tape grab hold.

mgl did her own lip and some others on the board did too.........they all look fine to me in the pics they posted.

I got urethane because of the cracking issues I have been reading about with the fiberglass and CF versions. Also in the event of a little tap, I think the urethane will be more forgiving.

I can't wait to get it back from the paint shop and begin putting it on. I think it is going to look great.

You are right, Mr. Twisted is a cool guy. I met him at Performance Nissan a couple of months ago. Those lambo doors on his Z are excellent!
Old 02-06-2004 | 08:04 AM
Tim'sZ

All you have to do is all Veilside direct and ask for Ray, tell him that you purchased the CF or fiberglass front lip and you need him to e-mail you or fax you the instructions on installing the lip w/o cracking it. If he is not in ask them to put you through to technical assistance. The install is not difficult at all and I know this sounds overwhelming but it is not hard at all. You just need to know where to take off a little of the material, and you will not be able to tell where you did this.
Old 02-06-2004 | 09:21 AM
Strife350z

cool, i'll do that, thanks!
Old 02-06-2004 | 09:22 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker
Premier Member

Wedge, where are you getting it painted?
Old 02-06-2004 | 11:18 AM
Wedge

zxsaint...I am getting it painted at the body shop that Performance Nissan uses. They painted my wing that I bought from Performance and it was a good match so I am having them paint my lip. I am embarrassed to say that I don't even know the name of the shop. Jeff at Performance is returning a favor and sent my lip over to them for me. I will find out the name of the place when I pick it up next week and let you know. They have to put a flexing agent in the paint when it is going on urethane.