Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom diffuser, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leafjerky
Thanks for the kind words, ****. I am currently working on another one. i appreciate everyone's input, both negative and positive even though I don't consider any of them negative, just constructive criticism. No one really said "Hey that sucks" without a reason and I appreciate that. I will do my best to make it more realistic and less Bruce Wayne (or mad max). I Should have it up and rendered by 5 (central time). As for buying my design, don't worry about it. I'll give them to you for free if you really like them.
Thanks again
That would be really cool, however I am unsure if you mean the idea, or the actual product, built, and ready to be installed, if you are talking about the product, I would at least want to pay for the prooducts used to create the item, like the carbon fiber, etc
Otherwise you'd be giving an item you put money into away, I could understand you giving away prototypes etc for people to test the product. I just want to be sure were are talking about the same thing, cause I would not be able to create the product from a design, or a mold even, I don't have the equipment.

I suppose I'm alright if your are willing to make the product and send for free for testing purposes if money is not an issue for you, but again, this is something that is hard for me, in good conscience, to take for free, unless you are certain on doing so.

Can't wait to see some future designs!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

You could drive through a pack of zombies and come out unscathed with that thing!

Work on your sweeps and lofts, or use a network surface for a more realistic render. Good job with the lighting though.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM
FOOKhonda

Im no expert on this either, but if you were to mount this upside down from the way its made now, wouldn't it actually serve its purpose? Aside from the many fins...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM
leafjerky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Alright so I came up with a new concept. I'm not going to do it in solidworks until I get a good opinion on it. I did some research and I have a better idea of how these are supposed to be made now. I tried to keep it simple, hope it doesn't look terrible when I'm finished.

Custom diffuser, opinions?-8yxall4.jpg

This is the bigger one that runs all the way across. The part underneath the fins and the mesh backing is the "tummy". This part covers the exhaust and runs underneath the chassis. This part will have to be separate from the diffuser and probably have to be custom fitted depending on your setup.

Custom diffuser, opinions?-5cepo4y.jpg

Here is a smaller version of that I wanted to try.

Which one do you like the best? Hate both of them? Let me know!

Last edited by leafjerky; 04-24-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: descriptions
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 PM
leafjerky

Also @noquestionz, here is my idea for yours. It would be a pain in the *** to make since I don't know your aftermarket dimensions, but it would be doable. Design-wise, what do you think?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:04 PM
FOOKhonda

Alright so I came up with a new concept. I'm not going to do it in solidworks until I get a good opinion on it. I did some research and I have a better idea of how these are supposed to be made now. I tried to keep it simple, hope it doesn't look terrible when I'm finished.

This is the bigger one that runs all the way across. The part underneath the fins and the mesh backing is the "tummy". This part covers the exhaust and runs underneath the chassis. This part will have to be separate from the diffuser and probably have to be custom fitted depending on your setup.

Here is a smaller version of that I wanted to try.

Which one do you like the best? Hate both of them? Let me know!
Wow, that actually looks pretty neat,
but I have a couple questions,
1 is the center part going to be like mesh or something of the sort to allow air to flow through?

2 I noticed the exhaust tips are a lot different on your image, on my car the tips have and upside down u kind of shape cutout around the exhaust tips, and with your diffuser I would have to locate them a couple inches lower somehow (id probably have to take them off the rear hangers) so can you try to find an image of that kind of rear bumper and fit.the diffuser with that style?

I do like this design, definitely heading the right way, just feel its a bit thick and may scrape a lot.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM
leafjerky

Yeah from what I understand, it's that way so that any air that does get inside of the diffuser can escape and not have drag. Like I said, everyone's setup would be different, so I guess maybe you could get longer hangers? Also, I forgot to answer your reply earlier, but unfortunately I couldn't just give you one. Being a college student, I probably will barely have the budget to make my own. I'd be happy to give the design to you or someone that could make you one.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

The white one kind of looked like the Chargespeed... I do like where you are heading with the idea.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM
FOOKhonda

Yeah from what I understand, it's that way so that any air that does get inside of the diffuser can escape and not have drag. Like I said, everyone's setup would be different, so I guess maybe you could get longer hangers? Also, I forgot to answer your reply earlier, but unfortunately I couldn't just give you one. Being a college student, I probably will barely have the budget to make my own. I'd be happy to give the design to you or someone that could make you one.
yeah that's what I figured, and why I asked, but would it be possible to pay you for the materials etc to make it? Since you know a place to get them made, I don't know of any place around me and doubt it would be easy information to find lol.

And this is the best pic I could find for what I'm talking about :

Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM
FOOKhonda

Disregard the red circles I found it that way on google
Old 04-24-2015, 05:33 PM
leafjerky

Alright guys, new design is up. Let me know what you think!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how come you didn't make the exhaust tip openings circular or elliptical?

Nice to see another member familiar with SW

Anyone wanna bring back the straight six???

Last edited by venture210; 04-24-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 PM
leafjerky

I wouldn't say familiar, I'm a newbie and I'm still learning as I go. That second diffuser took me about 4 hours to make from design to render. I didn't do it simply because I didn't think about it. It wouldn't be too hard to go back I guess but I like the edgy feel. Yes a straight 6 is lovely. I always liked the one I had in my Cherokee.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Alright guys, new design is up. Let me know what you think!
For now, don't quit your day job. Keep it coming though.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Leafjerky, I dig the look of the one you put on my car, except for the "mesh center". I'm at work and conveniently enough, that was the only picture I could see HAHA!!

I could see that design causing drag though. I already have enough "lift" since I went with the GReddy Evo 2 making a huge pocket for air to collect in. I don't notice it during my cruises but anything I do from this point forward would have to have function (and form as a by product imo) I have included a picture of the GReddy exhaust from the bottom to see what you'd be working with... This does NOT have the INGS rear though
Attached Thumbnails Custom diffuser, opinions?-greddy-stock-picture.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 PM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

this thing looks sooooo need for speed underground 2 ......i hate it.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by XM 1
this thing looks sooooo need for speed underground 2 ......i hate it.
What a contribution!

Srs tho, if you didn't get some greater love for cars from NFSU2 and the ability to put 3 way splitting hoods and neon on everything, you are the hated one!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

With the sharp angles and small creases...what material is this going to be made out of ?

Designing something is one thing, making practical for the application is entirely different!

In for cardboard mock up
Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
What a contribution!

Srs tho, if you didn't get some greater love for cars from NFSU2 and the ability to put 3 way splitting hoods and neon on everything, you are the hated one!
That game was great.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM
FOOKhonda

For real man, NFSU2 was dope, that's what started my love for 350z, 240sx, Audi tt and the skyline... That skyline was bad tho, with some of the unique parts that thing was fasst.

240 was the only thing you could top off if you get all the unique performance parts on it though...

Quick Reply: Custom diffuser, opinions?