Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!! Another Convertible Top Malfunction Post

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:39 PM
RedTopZ33

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Help!! Another Convertible Top Malfunction Post

Hey all, brand new to the forum. Just joined to scope things out on maintenance, fluids and misc info here and there, and today disaster struck (so far anyway). I have a 2007 350Z convertible. The top light has been flashing while up and latched. I know it is latched, so I joined also, to look into answering why. Found the little sensor behind the drivers door, and looked into that today by simply messing with the contact on it (not sure has anything to do with my now bigger issue but couldn't hurt to set the tone). After messing with that for maybe 30 seconds I lowered the top to sit into the rear but kept the tonneau up so I could clean some dried up wax in the seams. I then proceded to raise the top and just as it went to finish it's process the rear stayed popped up and didn't latch. When I went to continue it did nothing. I then pushed on the rear( which I found as a suggestion) until it latched in place (which it did) but now when I go to start the top down process, all that happens is the rear pops up. That's it. Windows don't move, seat doesn't move, nothing else happens. I've searched all over and I can only find outdated posts that all say "it's probably the 5th bow take it to the dealer and be ready to clear out your bank acct"...

I'm not nay saying, but is there anyway to re-initiate the top retracting process or anything?? I just feel like it's out of sync like my old Saab 9-3 used to get. I'm pretty handy, but new to the 350Z 's and don't really know where to start. Thanks for any help and direction. I'd really appreciate it. As much as I love how my car looks with the top up, I love cruising with it down!!

Last edited by RedTopZ33; 07-14-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-14-2017, 03:46 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTopZ33
Found the little sensor behind the drivers door, and looked into that today by simply messing with the contact on it (not sure has anything to do with my now bigger issue but couldn't hurt to set the tone).
So how, exactly, did you mess with the contact? Did you add voltage, connect to ground, remove the sensor?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 AM
RedTopZ33

No, honestly all I did was play with the little tab to make sure it wasn't stretched out or bent too far in or out... I felt it clicking back and forth, and knew that unless I wanted to spend time trying to unbolt it and meter it for resistance, I should just leave it alone and learn to live with the blinking top light when the top is up. And that is essentially what I was doing so after cleaning the tonneau I went to put the top up and now I can't get it to do anything more than pop up about 2 inches at the rear latch. I hear the latch pop every time I press the "open" button, and if I hold it, it seems like the tonneau wants to start coming up, but the top doesn't want to fold first...
Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 AM
RedTopZ33

Default Update...Still need help

Update, sent the 5th bow motor out to be rebuilt. Got it back, and same issue. Press the button to start the process and all that happens is the back pops up, then nothing. Headrest doesn't move, Windows don't lower.... I feel like something isn't allowing the process to go any further. After several uneventful searches, I did find a picture of 3 fuses to check at the fuse jb next to the clutch, and the 40a under the hood, all of which look fine. Does anyone have access to an electrical diagram WITH locations of fuses, relays, switches...anything to trace this out?!? Would love to be able to get this working for the 3-4 weeks left of summer I'll have here in WNY.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:19 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

give up and take it to the dealership
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM
JakeC06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hey, my top is doing the exact same thing. It's like it is out of sync. I hit the button and storage lid opens and then nothing. Then I can disconnect the 2 black shock looking things that attach to the 5th bow and move the 5th bow manually and once i get it up then the top will continue as its supposed to. It's as if my 5th bow doesn't work. But I have changed the entire top and it does the same thing. If you figure it out, let me know please and I'll do the same. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and see if I can figure something out.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 PM
JakeC06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it.

I changed the 5th bow motor and then the 5th bow started operating up and down. The top would then open all the way perfect, but when I go to close the top it would do everything perfect except after the storage lid closed the 5th bow wouldn't go down and latch. I could lower the 5th bow manualy and it would continue the process as it should and suck the 5th bow down to the storage lid as it should. Come to find out it is the latch mechanism inside the storage lid. There is a metal part in there that the motor moves left and right and at the end of each movement there are 2 switches. When the metal moves all the way to the left it hits a switch and when it moves all the way to the right it hits a switch....in my case the metal part that is supposed to be pushed left and right to hit the switches has gotten stuck in the middle and doesn't hit either switch. I can move it manually (barely) and the top will close as it should....but only once and then the metal part gets stuck in the middle of its operation again. I hope this helps someone.