Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light install

Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fog light install

Hi, searching the thread I saw some cool, round fogs behind the grill on those two outer plastic grill parts. Looking/feeling around under the hood it looks like those pieces might be easily removable in order to drill the holes and install the lights, anyone have any insight on just that?
Where I live driving at night is absolutely ridiculous, no painted lines, many locals on bikes or hanging out on the side of the highway, lowly lit cars, etc, and my eyes just aren’t what they used to be. So I want some extra light, above the upgrades I’ve done to the high beam. Thanks, and sorry if there’s an install write-up, didn’t see any.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

If you are looking for extra lighting, go with actual driving lights, NOT fogs. Fogs are pretty useless as a driver aid. They are better for you TO BE SEEN by other drivers while offering just a minimum of lighting aid.

But with that said, I would consider a main lamp upgrade instead of (or at least before) aux lights.

First ‘06+ lamps (obviously if an ‘03-05) then upgrade the lenses to at least STI then upgrade the output with new 55w ballasts, bulbs and suitable igniters.

If that’s not enough, consider not (or minimizing) driving at night. Yes, I’m serious. I don’t where I can help it.

EDIT: no help on grill installation you mentioned but will say it looks like you’ll need to fab solid mounting brackets of some sort. Aux lights won’t work on any grill alone, too much flex.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Wet feet

Originally Posted by MicVelo
If you are looking for extra lighting, go with actual driving lights, NOT fogs. Fogs are pretty useless as a driver aid. They are better for you TO BE SEEN by other drivers while offering just a minimum of lighting aid.

But with that said, I would consider a main lamp upgrade instead of (or at least before) aux lights.

First ‘06+ lamps (obviously if an ‘03-05) then upgrade the lenses to at least STI then upgrade the output with new 55w ballasts, bulbs and suitable igniters.

If that’s not enough, consider not (or minimizing) driving at night. Yes, I’m serious. I don’t where I can help it.

EDIT: no help on grill installation you mentioned but will say it looks like you’ll need to fab solid mounting brackets of some sort. Aux lights won’t work on any grill alone, too much flex.

Happy New Years MicVelo! You’re always a great responder.
Actually I should’ve clarified using high quality Diode Dynamics 4” “driving lights” as you are absolutely correct on the fog stuff. I’m a professed light ***** and have more upgraded lights on all 5 vehicles than one might ever desire, but all are function over form and I try to do it tastefully. Mostly on my off-road Zuk, it’s got rock lights, ditch lights, reverse lights, driving, non blinding interior, etc.... but back on track.
I had considered upgrading the headlights but mine are so dang perfect and clean (car garaged/covered entire life) that it seems a sin. I did upgrade to a higher grade LED high beam. But now you mention it I have noticed lately those darn nice looking headlights have been filling with condensation the past few months with a simple hose wash. So, maybe time to think of the upgrade.
I defintely really try not to drive here at night, it’s insane. But occasionally buddy rides run late, airport runs like recently, things happen.
So I imagine I’m looking at good/used +2006 or aftermarket?
edit: searching I see there may be a D2S bulb upgrade you may be referring to

thank you

Last edited by Wet feet; 01-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Nismo Ninja

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Wet Feet, I'd go with OEM. I've heard quality issues with the Depo's but haven't owned a pair so couldn't tell you for sure. Also the D2S bulb is for the newer OEM headlights Mic was talking about. With a STI lens upgrade he suggested you should see a significant improvement.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Wet feet

Originally Posted by Nismo Ninja
Hey Wet Feet, I'd go with OEM. I've heard quality issues with the Depo's but haven't owned a pair so couldn't tell you for sure. Also the D2S bulb is for the newer OEM headlights Mic was talking about. With a STI lens upgrade he suggested you should see a significant improvement.
Great info, thanks! Starting the search .....
edit: holy moly those look cool! I’m sold. Going to order tomorrow.

Last edited by Wet feet; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Standard Xenon in 03-05 used a D2R bulb, which is the same as a D2S but with painted portions specifically to reduce light output. This is because the 1.5" projector relied on a reflective portion behind the projector to light up the road. If you just swap a D2S bulb in , you will see a minimal difference in light output since the projector is what is casting the light at a distance. It will, however, cause a significant amount of glare to oncoming traffic.

The updated 06-08 lights use a true 3" projector, hence the proper use of D2S.

I do have DEPO 06+ lights. In my experience, they are 100% identical to OEM except for two things:
1) I had to lightly sand/grind the inner diameter of the lens housing on both sides to fit STI-R lens. I happened to have two separate sets of the STI-R lens and none fit without the trimming. Only relevant if you swap lens. I suspect this problem was unique to the set I bought since I have not run into anyone else complaining of the same issue, but this would lend some evidence to poorer quality control.
2) The outer clear plastic housing is not UV treated, which can discolor to yellow quickly. I treat them regularly with a UV protectant and have a headlight wrap on them. They still look new 8 months later.

Otherwise aside from the DEPO stamp most people can't tell the difference between them. If you plan to modify a set of headlamps (STI-R lens), I'd rather do it on a $400 new aftermarket set than a $500+ used OEM set. I built/installed an ironman mod and wired them as DRLs.

P.S. if you have condensation issues, especially with more than just fog (beads/droplets forming like in the picture) there is a breach somewhere. It isn't uncommon for the butyl glue that holds the cover to the headlight housing to dry and crack especially with exposure to UV light. You could potentially track down the leak and repair it to get rid of the condensation.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Wet feet

Originally Posted by Freise
Standard Xenon in 03-05 used a D2R bulb, which is the same as a D2S but with painted portions specifically to reduce light output. This is because the 1.5" projector relied on a reflective portion behind the projector to light up the road. If you just swap a D2S bulb in , you will see a minimal difference in light output since the projector is what is casting the light at a distance. It will, however, cause a significant amount of glare to oncoming traffic.

The updated 06-08 lights use a true 3" projector, hence the proper use of D2S.

I do have DEPO 06+ lights. In my experience, they are 100% identical to OEM except for two things:
1) I had to lightly sand/grind the inner diameter of the lens housing on both sides to fit STI-R lens. I happened to have two separate sets of the STI-R lens and none fit without the trimming. Only relevant if you swap lens. I suspect this problem was unique to the set I bought since I have not run into anyone else complaining of the same issue, but this would lend some evidence to poorer quality control.
2) The outer clear plastic housing is not UV treated, which can discolor to yellow quickly. I treat them regularly with a UV protectant and have a headlight wrap on them. They still look new 8 months later.

Otherwise aside from the DEPO stamp most people can't tell the difference between them. If you plan to modify a set of headlamps (STI-R lens), I'd rather do it on a $400 new aftermarket set than a $500+ used OEM set. I built/installed an ironman mod and wired them as DRLs.

P.S. if you have condensation issues, especially with more than just fog (beads/droplets forming like in the picture) there is a breach somewhere. It isn't uncommon for the butyl glue that holds the cover to the headlight housing to dry and crack especially with exposure to UV light. You could potentially track down the leak and repair it to get rid of the condensation.
Wow that is incredibly helpful on all accounts and points, thank you. I love and understand the nerdie jargon of lights and temperature, beam patterns and projectors that are not meant for certain bulbs so I appreciate the advice and will not do that. I can’t stand being blinded by people with firkin’ HID bulbs in non projector lenses, especially in the “low” Z car.

Looks like I need the proper projector/lamp, and maybe need to do some silicone or polyurethane fixing on my housings which are probably toasted or dry rotted.

Thanks again