Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Switchback LEDs Wiring '06+

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019 | 03:21 PM
Aks03

Default Switchback LEDs Wiring '06+

Hello,

I have a 2006 350z (with the HID headlights and updated front bumper). I purchased switchback DRL side markers that replace the side reflectors on the front bumper. I want to splice the power wire (for the DRLs) to the parking light, and then the turn signal power (for the DRLs) to the turn signal wires for each side. My questions are:

-Are T taps a reliable method of splicing the wire
-What gauge wire is the parking light and turn signal (so I can buy appropriate sized T taps)
-Can I splice near the headlight, preferably near the plug that goes into the bulb (for the parking light its on the bottom of the headlight and for the turn signal its on the top)

Thanks for your help!

To clarify - the switchback LEDs come with 3 wires: ground, power, and turn signal.
Old 04-30-2019 | 03:23 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Aks03
Hello,

I have a 2006 350z (with the HID headlights and updated front bumper). I purchased switchback DRL side markers that replace the side reflectors on the front bumper. I want to splice the power wire (for the DRLs) to the parking light, and then the turn signal power (for the DRLs) to the turn signal wires for each side. My questions are:

-Are T taps a reliable method of splicing the wire
-What gauge wire is the parking light and turn signal (so I can buy appropriate sized T taps)
-Can I splice near the headlight, preferably near the plug that goes into the bulb (for the parking light its on the bottom of the headlight and for the turn signal its on the top)

Thanks for your help!

To clarify - the switchback LEDs come with 3 wires: ground, power, and turn signal.
T taps are reliable but you can use solder and heat shrink tubing for a more permanent solution. You can use some dielectric grease on the taps if you're worried about corrosion. The wire is small - maybe 18-22 gauge. As for where you tap in, it can be pretty much anywhere you want including close to the housing as long as it doesn't interfere with clearance when mounting the headlights.