Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A scrappers lament

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default A scrappers lament

At the beginning of this season I tried my hand at part picking at junk yards in Maryland. There's a network of 5 around Baltimore and I've got auto-notifications set to tell me as soon as a Z hits any of them. Most Z's eat it up front, go figure. But what's killing me is that I've gone out for four now, the most recent within 24 hours of arrival. I took off work! But it was already picked clean. Light cluster's, central dash, intake and anything worth swapping out of my 05. This thread is simply me venting. But god damnit... No other cars on the lots get hit like that. I guess it plays to the fact that Z's have held their value well over the years..
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I look for blown VQs … the best ones are the ones that simply overheated and the heads warped. Most often its a spun bearing. I can usually part-out and make between $400 and $800 on a $100 to $200 buy-in. With the forums, craigslist, and FB market place its relatively easy to market.

Always a risk but I enjoy disassembling them and having the extra parts on hand. I'd like to put together a OEM spec VQ and thrash the **** out of it in a z33 some day.