Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Replacing stock HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004 | 02:06 PM
Jergens

Default Replacing stock HIDs?

Hey guys, did a search and most of it yielded info on adding HIDs to a base model. I already have HIDs and was wondering how complicated a task it would be to change them to a different color temperature. My 2 buddies have a M3 and a S2k and both of their light temperatures are much prettier/more effective lights. Is it simply a matter of replacing a xenon bulb or to get that effect would I need a whole new higher quality assembly? Thanks

~Josh
Old 02-24-2004 | 02:32 PM
VQ35DES

all the light temperatures of OEM HIDs are in the 4000ks
Old 02-25-2004 | 02:14 AM
fairladyz33

4700ks to be exact, I replaced my to 6000ks...let me know if you need pics.
Old 02-25-2004 | 08:53 PM
Jergens

So if all OEM bulbs are the same color temp how come the M3 looks so purpleish and the S2K looks so sky blue? Our's seem to be very white/yellowish compared to other assemblies I have seen. Just curious. Also when You say you picked up a 6000 kit, is it just bulbs that you pop out of the assembly we currently have? Or do I need a whole new mount/wiring setup?

~Josh
Old 02-26-2004 | 04:04 AM
MY350Z.COM

You only need new bulbs to change lumens.
Old 03-06-2004 | 05:48 AM
topdaytrader

if you want the best, get MotionR 6000k. I use them on my M3 & Porsches for over 2 years w/o any problems. They also offer lifetime replacement warranty.

http://www.motionr.com
Old 03-06-2004 | 11:48 AM
N1-R

M3 and S2000 etc have prettier/nicer HID colour is due to the design of the headlight assembly. Both of those cars have a fully encased projector type housing, while our 350Z has somewhat both projector and reflective housing. If you look closely at our headlights, the projector lense is sticking out of the encased area of the HID bulb and there's a gap between there. I don't know why nissan did that, they should have enclosed the whole thing or designed it just so our HID bulb is fully encased so that it may probably produce "prettier" look. But I was quite disappointed with the Zs HIDs. They're not as bright as the other cars such as BMW, Benz, s2000 etc even though they all use the same range of 4300K bulbs.

If you want the prettier colour of BMW and S2000, you'll have to get the 6000K bulbs but you'll be sacrificing lost lumens when you go up on the K scale. So there's a trade off.

I was wondering if changing our bulbs to a D2S bulb will put out better light because our Zs use D2R bulbs which has this high temp paint strip around the middle of the bulb?

For those that don't know, D2R bulbs are for reflective housing and D2S bulbs are for projector housing. But since our cars are sort of in the mix of the two, i don't know why nissan didn't put in D2S bulbs anyways.
Old 07-15-2004 | 06:08 AM
herbrock17

Originally posted by topdaytrader
if you want the best, get MotionR 6000k. I use them on my M3 & Porsches for over 2 years w/o any problems. They also offer lifetime replacement warranty.

http://www.motionr.com
What color does your 6000K D2R HID bulbs produce?? White, blue, purple?? The picture you have of the BMW looks nice and blue...Every different website I go to says 6000K is purple, 8000K is blue, low crappy lumens/flux, etc, etc...I will probably purchase from this website but let me know.

DARN!! Only D2S is available to order, no D2R for my 350Z??
Old 07-16-2004 | 10:25 AM
03redlineZ

I have 6500k hid it looks great it is a real white purple it looks a lot like the lexus gs400 to me, it makes my buddies s2ks look like they are a plain white but you do not get as good of lighting but as long as you stop at 6000k you should be ok I have a friend with 8000k they look terrible much like the fake blue lights or you could go with a 5500k and you will notice a huge difference from what you have now and still get a good quality of light.
Old 07-16-2004 | 11:30 AM
Jergens

I am still confused as to where you guys buy the bulbs... no offense but the one link in this thread looks a little... amature. Aren't there any large distributors of HID replacement bulbs?

~Josh
Old 07-16-2004 | 04:25 PM
old_s13

www.autolamps-online.com
Old 07-16-2004 | 04:53 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by herbrock17
What color does your 6000K D2R HID bulbs produce?? White, blue, purple?? The picture you have of the BMW looks nice and blue...Every different website I go to says 6000K is purple, 8000K is blue, low crappy lumens/flux, etc, etc...I will probably purchase from this website but let me know.

DARN!! Only D2S is available to order, no D2R for my 350Z??
Those lights are on a Porsche 996 newer model and not a BMW (I'm guessing the Turbo because of his sig). 6000k is bluish and 8000k is purplish.

After you pass about 4,500k (the same as about the sun), you lose light intesity, brightness (lumens). I'd suggest not going over 6000k, which is bluish (not solid crayola crayon blue). I have 5000k and they are solid white and look better than S2000s that I've compared to.

Jergens, www.suvlights.com sells just HID bulbs (not tinted craps, but the real thing). If you want brighter HIDs and higher color temp (past around 4,500k), you'll need higher wattage ballasts. I only know of one place that sells 50W (as opposed to 35W) HID ballasts and bulbs: http://www.supremepower.com/category...ht-stage3.html
Old 07-16-2004 | 09:04 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

is our stock HID's D2S or D2R bulbs? I want to upgrade to a 6000K so please let me know which one to get! And would it be a pain in the butt to change too?
Old 07-17-2004 | 06:14 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by cquence 350 [Z]
is our stock HID's D2S or D2R bulbs? I want to upgrade to a 6000K so please let me know which one to get! And would it be a pain in the butt to change too?
They're D2R, reflectors. It's not that hard to change out, I wrote up a way to access the healight housing here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=72545
Old 07-18-2004 | 11:17 AM
Jergens

I know a few people have switched over to D2S bulbs... I was curious how they got a different bulb to fit into the housing? Is it just plug and play or do you need to reshape/adaptor the hardware?

~Josh
Old 07-18-2004 | 01:08 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by Jergens
I know a few people have switched over to D2S bulbs... I was curious how they got a different bulb to fit into the housing? Is it just plug and play or do you need to reshape/adaptor the hardware?

~Josh
I heard that some fit without any problems, but others used a dremel on the housing to make it fit.
Old 07-18-2004 | 02:28 PM
bgwillyis300

ok guys apparently NONE f you have any real knowledge when it comes to HID's.

1.>>>the guy who posted www.motionr.com was the way to go. Is a complete MORON. Those are FAKE HID BULBS .

2. the stock HID bulbs are i believe closer to 4300k. And the reason the s2k and M3 have bluer appearance is because the Fully enclosed projector lenses.

3. D2s & D2r.....if you upgrade i suggest going to D2s. especially with the 350Z headlights. Much will be much brighter in my expeirence.

4. the whole increase Lumens= less visiblity. Is scientifically correct. But i have upgraded on IS300 an not noticed any brightness difference at all. If anything my visibility went up. Actually people are always flashing lights at me now because of the brightness.

if you upgrade to 6000k......the best manufacturer is by far PHILLIPs.

i wouldnt purchase anything else!
Old 07-18-2004 | 06:06 PM
ButtDyno

Originally posted by N1-R
M3 and S2000 etc have prettier/nicer HID colour is due to the design of the headlight assembly. Both of those cars have a fully encased projector type housing, while our 350Z has somewhat both projector and reflective housing. If you look closely at our headlights, the projector lense is sticking out of the encased area of the HID bulb and there's a gap between there. I don't know why nissan did that, they should have enclosed the whole thing or designed it just so our HID bulb is fully encased so that it may probably produce "prettier" look. But I was quite disappointed with the Zs HIDs. They're not as bright as the other cars such as BMW, Benz, s2000 etc even though they all use the same range of 4300K bulbs.

If you want the prettier colour of BMW and S2000, you'll have to get the 6000K bulbs but you'll be sacrificing lost lumens when you go up on the K scale. So there's a trade off.

I was wondering if changing our bulbs to a D2S bulb will put out better light because our Zs use D2R bulbs which has this high temp paint strip around the middle of the bulb?

For those that don't know, D2R bulbs are for reflective housing and D2S bulbs are for projector housing. But since our cars are sort of in the mix of the two, i don't know why nissan didn't put in D2S bulbs anyways.
Best post in this thread..
Old 07-18-2004 | 06:54 PM
NismoKid

Putting D2S bulbs in your car will make it look brighter only because of glare. The strip of metal on the bottom of the DSR bulb is there so no light will reflect back up and into the eyes of drivers when using a reflector housing.

If our lights were fully enclosed in a projector, the light emitted from the bottom of the bulb would reflect up, (since no metal strip on bottom of D2S bulb) hit the lens, and refract either straight ahead or down. D2S will only cause glare to other drivers in a reflector only housing, which will make you think that you have brighter lights.

Haven't you ever seen halogen equiped cars with lights not adjusted properly? They blind oncoming traffic, but it looks brighter because you see all the light shining in your face.

Here are some drawings I made and they're pretty self-explainatory. Keep in mind I do not know the dimensions inside the 350Z light housing so I don't know what % of light would shine out and upward of the housing when using D2S. These are only to get the point across. Also, the lens on the 350Z housing will reduce the glare with a D2S bulb compared to an all reflector housing with a D2S bulb.

Old 07-18-2004 | 09:57 PM
Watkins

Originally posted by cquence 350 [Z]
These are 6K D2R's on my car.

This is right after the turn on.

This is a little over a minute after turn on.

When compared to a stock 4100k Z at night, there is a huge difference. I am pleased with the outcome.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock HIDs?