Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
DavidD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BigBadBlackTrack you don't need hood pins?

The hood is safe with out pins? Also If you keep the stock
airbox or have a sealed airbox then rain on the engine does not matter, correct? But if you have exposed airfilters I think you could get into some trouble, correct?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:50 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

Not if the pipe has a slight downward angle. Mine got pretty wet a couple of times, (it sat right in the side air vent so it got pretty wet when it rained and i was driving) and i never had a problem.
If it worries you, then dont drive it in the rain, but i am just speaking from my own personal experiences. Or just buy a cover for it that will keep the rain off of it. (i think the K and N kit has one) or make a rain sheild out of some stainless or aluminum.
To each his own.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Loco350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my hood in and how no idea how to install it can someone with experence help me out thatnks
Old 03-11-2004, 10:12 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

best done with 1 or 2 other people.
1. remove old hood
2. install new hood using the bolts.
3slowly lower the hood.
4. check for rubbing. loosen bolts, adjust retighten

keep lowering it, and readjusting by the bolts (they have some room for movement side to side and front to back) until the gap is equal on all sides.

once this is done, then you might have to readjust the lock on the front.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Loco350Z

Thanks. How do i remove the stock bolts from the stock hood?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

i am not sur eon the Z, but usually just a socket wrench while someone holds the hood up. There are usually 4 bolts right where the hinge is.

maybe you should have a body shop install yours?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Loco350Z

I have the stock hood off but the bolts are still in the stock hood. I guess i will have to ask a body shop. I hate paying them to do something so simple.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JPizzle
Yeah- definately hasemi style, what's the price, shipped to 33331?
commercial or business...

PM me your address, my frieght company needs an address to guarantee shipping costs

but they are instock
Old 03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: BigBadBlackTrack you don't need hood pins?

Originally posted by DavidD
The hood is safe with out pins? Also If you keep the stock
airbox or have a sealed airbox then rain on the engine does not matter, correct? But if you have exposed airfilters I think you could get into some trouble, correct?
I have had my hood over 120 MPH and it hasnt blown away yet...

no hood pins... I think I need to add them for when I go to the track in April... although I really dont want too...

correct about the air box... but... im running a JWT Pop charger without the heat shield and I didnt have a problem driving in 80 miles of pouring rain...
Old 03-12-2004, 12:26 AM
BigBadBlackTrack

Actually the car has hood pins now. Its just an extra pecaution. You really dont wanna be driving at 70+ MPH with a hood on your windshield. I'm not a fan of hood pins but its just an insurance policy.

The stock airbox would work fine with the SEIBON hood that I have.

Take note that the SEIBON hood includes covers for those vents and discussed earlier in this thread. It mounts under the hood. It just defeats the purpose of having a vented hood but it does keep everything dry even at wet weather.

The piping behind the filter points down at a 45 Deg angle leading towards the turbos and I believe its less than 12 inches from it. Certainly even if its hot inside the pipe, if water did get in the filter it would not need to travel far to reach the Turbos. It doesnt take a mechanic to tell your that Tubos + Water = Not Good Then again at the temperature that the Turbos spool I guess it can vaporize any water that enters and gets near it. So I guess your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by BigBadBlackTrack; 03-12-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:39 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

track- you are correct that hot turbos does not mix with water (why you always let your engine cool before washing)

but when you are driving in the rain, the turbos get hot and ewater is there, and me nor anyone else i have heard of has ever had a problem.

the smal amount of water that would get on the filter, or even if the filter got very damp, the amount of water tat would go through the filter would not be a problem. The turbos get so hot that any water in the viscinity will get vaporized and if it does anything, it will cool the air going into the turbo. (kind of like a pre turbo water injection system).

i know you guys are cautious, and that isn't a bad thing. but unless you drive across very long and deep puddles you do not have to worry. In 6 years of building race mr2's and other turbo cars, i have never experienced a problem. Hell, i once did a 10 hour race in the pouring rain without a hood ( got clipped and had to remove it, i couldn't get it to re-lock) in a MKIII supra turbo that was making about 380 RWHP. Not one problem.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:14 AM
350 PILOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ricky
Second, personally I wouldn't even drive the Z in the rain. Not only because it's a weekend car, but because it doesn't get very good traction in wet weather, but if you must drive, I'm sure you can always get a custom made cover for the vents....

Do you even own a Z? I live in S. Florida where it sometimes rains 3" an hour. The Z is by far the best car I have ever driven in the rain. The VDC is outstanding. If it were not for the sound, you would not know when you were going through a puddle. I can safely drive this car 60 mph on the highway in heavy rain.

Last edited by 350 PILOT; 03-13-2004 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI again guys, the Seibon hoods we offer have vents that are removable.....
Old 03-13-2004, 07:58 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

yea really. I agree with 350 Pilot. I dont understand how people say these cars are hard to drive in the snow. I drove my friends for a week, and we got about 7" of snow. neve rhad a problem.
I drove my mr2's year round through snow, sleet, ice, and rain in iowa and IL. never had one problem.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:58 AM
350Now

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
its similar to the seibon but more rounded... 7 vents...

weight is about the same as stock...

I think it is called the Fuzion style.. I forgot.. haha.. but.. RX7's have the same hood for their car...

Fitment is near perfect... on my car.. it is sliiiiightly off... i need to adjust it...
The Hood that Jason has is called Fuzion Style and is a replica of the Scoot Hood for the RX7 grafted to fit a 350Z.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Ricky
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 350 PILOT
Originally posted by Ricky
Second, personally I wouldn't even drive the Z in the rain. Not only because it's a weekend car, but because it doesn't get very good traction in wet weather, but if you must drive, I'm sure you can always get a custom made cover for the vents....

Do you even own a Z? I live in S. Florida where it sometimes rains 3" an hour. The Z is by far the best car I have ever driven in the rain. The VDC is outstanding. If it were not for the sound, you would not know when you were going through a puddle. I can safely drive this car 60 mph on the highway in heavy rain.

The fact your asking me "If you own a Z" is very rude.

Second, the car gets DECENT traction in weather IN MY OPINION... With the stock tires, I was slipping every now and then. With my aftermarket tires - rain is a breeze.

Either way, the hood is safe in rain, but I just personally would cover it, or try to avoid rain if possible.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:49 PM
350 PILOT

Ricky

Well at least we agree on one thing, these beautiful cars should not be left out in the elements. Anyone seen doing so should be turned in to the authorities.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:13 PM
CatastrophZZ

Originally posted by BigBadBlackTrack
The hood works by venting off the hot gasses in the engine bay. As the car goes forward air gets pushed trough the mouth of the bumper. And in an F1 example through the intercooler. If air goes in the engine it has to come out somewhere. So thats where the vents on the hood comes to play. Its a pathway for air to travel.

As far as Rain damage on a FI setup with those hood. I'll let this second pic speak for itself.

Imagine youre stuck in traffic and its raining pretty hard. Look at the vents of my Hood and look at where the intake filter of the turbos sit. You have a perfect combination for trouble. I dare not drive this car in the rain.

WRONG! well you're about 30% right! actually it's called vacuum! the engine heat being vacuumed out from the holes on the hood as you're moving forward. if you've had physics, you'll know why.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Loco350Z

I just installed the VS style hood on my car. Here is a link to view it. If someone knows how to post theses pics without the link please fill me in.
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...uments&.view=l
Old 03-14-2004, 12:55 AM
BigBadBlackTrack

Originally posted by CatastrophZZ
WRONG! well you're about 30% right! actually it's called vacuum! the engine heat being vacuumed out from the holes on the hood as you're moving forward. if you've had physics, you'll know why.
Well imagine a parachute going through the air. The friction against the air makes the parachute go down slow. Also the air inside the Canopy is pretty much compressed and stagnant while it goes down. The only part that has major air movement is the on the edges. That is your stock hood setup.

Now poke some holes in that parachute then the stagnant air has somewhere to go to and it actually acts like a funnel for air. The parachute goes down faster because there is now less air friction. There is less air presure on the other side thats why it creates a vacuum. Air moves freely now. That is your vented hood setup.

Same concept why intercoolers are mounted on the front. And if they are mounted on the top theres is some sort of ram air meathod where they force air into it. Example STI.

Maybe I did have physics.

Still not enough? Grab a plastic bag and run around your house so it forms a parachute. Now light a cigarette and see if you can blow any smoke in the bag while your running. Repeat the said steps but now poke holes on the plastic bag. See what happens.

Quick Reply: ? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?