Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:41 AM
DavidD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?

This might seem like a dumb question, so don’t flame me, I am an old man and I am just getting into this car mod stuff. It seems to me that the cars engine compartment gets very hot. Would an aftermarket hood with vents, like the, Hasemi Motorsports Carbon Fiber Bonnet, reduce the heat? And does it matter to reduce the heat? Also, do these aftermarket hoods (bonnet) even have holes where they appear to be or do you have to cut them out? Also is it easy to paint over carbon fiber? Thanks is advance.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Ricky
Banned

David, if you are planning to attend my meet on March 13, you can check out my new carbon fiber hood. It has a large reverse scoop, which when driving pulls colder air in, and allows warmer air to release.

Now unless you have a FI system, this is really going to make a dramatic difference. I personally bought it because I'm trying to build a show car, and think it looks amazing.

Contact "Wicked4u2c" on this board, or Wicked4u2c@aol.com for more information on the new carbon fiber vented hoods. Let him know I sent you, please

And finally, it's very easy to paint over CF.. the hood usually comes with the surface clearcoated, so it's smooth as glass already, and all you have to do is paint over it, and clearcoat over that.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Ricky
Banned

Forgot the picture.. here is what my hood looks like.. based on the design, you can see the air will go over the ramp, and be pulled into the vent.

(PS- They have many more styles of hoods, so contact Wicked4u2c )
Attached Thumbnails ? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?-vs.jpg  
Old 03-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Ricky
Banned

Driver view..
Attached Thumbnails ? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?-vs1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2004, 05:45 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I dare ask how much the hood costs?
Old 03-07-2004, 06:04 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by Ricky
David, if you are planning to attend my meet on March 13, you can check out my new carbon fiber hood. It has a large reverse scoop, which when driving pulls colder air in, and allows warmer air to release.
Ummmm... not to be overly critical, but does it pull cool air in, or allow warm air out? It can't do both (air will only flow unidirectionally).
Old 03-07-2004, 06:33 AM
DavidD

Cool Thanks Ricky

That hood looks awesome. How much? I can't make it on the 13th but thanks for the offer.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:40 AM
DavidD

Unhappy ? Ricky

What difference does it make if the car is FI or NA? The engines both get hot. And the NA and FI engines are pulling air in from the front not the top. I could see a difference if the NA was pulling are from the hood but the Z is not set up like that.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:11 AM
FairladyZ

The hood pictured looks like it would let heat out. The only way it would work as a "ram air" is if the intake was onneted to the vented part of the hood.

How much does that hood weigh? A friend has a carbon fiber hood and he needs hood pins because the hood will not latch do to the lighter weight.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:43 AM
teh215

What meet on March 13th? Details, please.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Ricky
Banned

DavidD and teh215, I'm sorry, it's not march 13, it's the 15.. I mixed up the dates.. Sorry!! DavidD, can you make it on the 15th?

I was explained that the warmer air would be let out, but it also would "pull" colder air in. I wondered why it would "pull" cold air in, and a friend told me as the air moves across the hood and over the slight incline in the hood, the air will be pulled down slighty into the vent, at the same time as the incline pushing air up (think of it as a spoiler, putting more downforce).

I'm not 100% sure if it actually will pull more cold air in, but it will let hot air be released from the engine bay.

The reason an FI engine gets more benifit is if you ever popped a hood to an FI engine after even a 20 minute drive, it is EXTREMELY hot. Hense the reason a lot of people use turbo timers, allow the engine to cool down before you turn it off. It will benifit a NA engine, but just not as much since it's not as hot.

Personally, I wonder if having a short ram set up with a vented hood would be as good as a full CIA.. I'll try it out and let you guys know.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:32 AM
teh215

OK, what is the event on the 15th?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:31 AM
OptimusP517

now kind of an off topic question, but does anyopne know of a company that makes quality c/f hood. I'm lookingfor a double sided c/f hood pretty soon in the near future and would like some referral to certain companies. Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 11:15 AM
ZRAYGO

Let me ask this question that will make everyone think.....I have noticed that from the drivers view the hood goes down and an angel. What happens when it rains? Does the water hit the engine? Will this damage the engine itself? Please advise....this design is pulling me away from the Top Secret hood that I have my eye on.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Ricky
Banned

Rain shouldn't affect it at all, I mean unless you live somewhere where it rains everyday, you don't have to worry.

And as far as companies that make a good cf hood, look into Seibon, thats what I have. Otherwise, Topsecret and other big name brand companies usually have good products.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 PM
DavidD

Default ? Rain?

That is a good question. If the rain runs into the engine, I know it will not damage the engine but if you have a short ram set up will the air filter not get very wet? Ricky, I am closing on my new house 3/15 and then going to Las Vegas on the 16th. I can't don't think that I can make it.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Abomination

Wow, thier site says 800 for the hood you showed with free shipping, thats very alluring... Unfortunatly thier pictures on the web site are horrible, doesnt do it justice from the pictures you posted, any more pics available

Also, are you planing on painting it when you install it or leaving it natural

Last edited by Abomination; 03-07-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:47 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

a vented hood pulls air out by negative pressure. The negative pressure is caused by the airflow over the hood and then pulls the air out of the engine bay.
if routed correctly, the air comes in the front bumper up and over the engine and is pulled out the vent in the hood by the negative pressure.

in the question about rain, my MR2's had the engine lid rain covers removed for better airflow and i never had a problem. i dont think you guys should either
Old 03-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Ricky
Banned

Thanks mr2!

DavidD, I'm really just out of it. The meet is this coming Saturday, which turns out to be the 14.. not 13.. or 15.. haha. Sorry about the confusion. I know you a while away, but if you can make it, it will be amazing. It would be worth the experience. And about the filter getting wet, I doubt it'd get that wet, but if you're extremely concerned about it, I'd just take a normal hand towel or such and just put it over the vent (if you don't have a garage). But I really don't think it should make a difference. Also, if you notice, the vent is exactly in the middle, the ram air filters are to the left headlight, and up some, so the vent shouldn't even be over the filter. If you install a heatsheild, that should also cover the filter from rain.

Abomination, yeah their MSRP is $800+Free shipping. If you PM "Wicked4u2c" on this board and let him know Ricky sent you, he might be able to work something out with you. He's a very easy to get along with and friendly guy. I'm sorry I don't have any other pictures of the hood yet, since no one else really owns the hood. If I'm not mistake, I'll be the first, or one of the first to get it. I was told there is currently only 8 of these hoods in the U.S.A, so there arn't many pictures out there yet. I'll take a bunch of pictures soon as I get the hood though!

Last edited by Ricky; 03-07-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:19 PM
ZRAYGO

Hey, I found an evan better price. Go here http://www.intensepower.com/setsstcafiho.html. I have dealt with them before, they have given me no problem. But I have heard of others having problems with them. The cool thing about them is that they are based in Arizona and there is no sales tax. Also, I believe thier supplier is based here in California (crazy how that works). Give them a call, I am sure they could work out a deal on shipping. This hood is really making me lean away from Top Secret....it looks off da hook!!!

Quick Reply: ? after market hood with vents to reduce engine heat?