Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:27 AM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Harness Question

OK guys, I'm new to the interior mods. I'm starting to look for some new racing seats, (Spacro, NISMO, Recaro), and 4 point (or better) harnesses.

Can anyone tell me if I MUST install a harness bar behind the seats to install the actual harnesses? If so, will I lose any room behind the seats? I'm 6'3" and my seat is back pretty far. Finally, if I find a good deal on the actual harnesses, before I get the seats, can the harnesses be used with the stock seats until I upgrade them as well?

Oh yeah, for those of you out there with 4 point harnesses installed, do you simply not use the factory seat belts, or have you actually removed them?

Thanks for any info....
Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Audito350Z

Default Re: Racing Harness Question

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
OK guys, I'm new to the interior mods. I'm starting to look for some new racing seats, (Spacro, NISMO, Recaro), and 4 point (or better) harnesses.
are you looking just for looks? or do you do DEs and track events?

Can anyone tell me if I MUST install a harness bar behind the seats to install the actual harnesses? If so, will I lose any room behind the seats? I'm 6'3" and my seat is back pretty far. Finally, if I find a good deal on the actual harnesses, before I get the seats, can the harnesses be used with the stock seats until I upgrade them as well?
You have to have something to attach the shoulder belts to in the car. And, you want to keep the attachment point as even with shoulder level as possible. A harness bar that connects to the B-pillars behind the seats is the best option. A full roll cage is another.

I have the Avalon Racing Hardbar. I am also 6'3" and I weigh 260. I have to remove the headrests from the seats to make enough room to fit in the car with the hardbar in place. I had headrest pads made to cover the bar while it is in the car.

You don't need racing seats to use a harness. I have OEM seats and my 4-point harness works fine.

Oh yeah, for those of you out there with 4 point harnesses installed, do you simply not use the factory seat belts, or have you actually removed them?

Thanks for any info....
I only use the harness at the track. In fact, I remove the hardbar and harness after each track event. Racing harnesses are not DOT approved for street use, so you may receive a citation for not wearing a seatbelt.

Also, in the unlikely event of a rollover, your head will become the roll bar if you are strapped to the seat wth a racing harness. A regular seatbelt allows your body to roll forward if the car rolls over, reducing the chances of your head and spine being crushed. A racing harness will hold you upright in the seat and can cause serious injury if the rest of the car is not set up to protect you.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 03-14-2004, 12:02 PM
03 Z for ME

I havn't tracked the car YET, but I will be this summer, on a Road Course, at Pocono Raceway.

I've been slowly modding the Z and my next plans are for the interior. I love the feel of the racing seats. I do drive agressively, and I like the feeling of being fully supported and secure in the racing seats. I plan on actually putting the Z on the track in the future, so it's not JUST for looks.

Thanks for the great info in the above post!
Old 03-14-2004, 03:21 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news, men.

Your prayers will be answered soon. A new harness bar will hopefully be announced soon. The prototype is being powder coated now.

Full seat travel. Designed to work for big people.

Stock belts will work as well as OEM with bar & a race harness installed.

HPDE approved by PCA.

Looks cool.

Will prevent spinal compression.

Anyone interested?
Old 03-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Audito350Z

I've got drawings already made up to modify my hardbar. I work with a guy who has all the welding equipment at home, so as soon as we both have a free weekend, we will cut the hardbar apart and make the modifications.

Basically I'm using the ends of the hardbar since I like how it attaches to the car, but I'm adding steel plates that will move the bar backward about 17"... imagine an arm from the mounting point on each side reaching back over the bulkhead. From there I'll add two legs for vertical support... and weld mounting plates for the legs onto the floor just behind the bulkhead. Then, the remaining part of the hardbar will be welded in between the plates.

As for seats... a big guy like me would consider at the least the Sparco EVO II and maybe even a Spraco EVO III. The EVO is a rigid seat, no recline, but everyone I know who uses it swears by it. In fact, in the Z it buys you almost an inch of headroom.

EnthuZ... I'm interested in your design as well. Can you share specs or design?

Thanks,

PeteH
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a work-in-progress shot of my prototype. Lower stay brackets mount to existing child seat strap bolt holes. I'm getting production quoting now. Should have formal info in a couple weeks. I.E. cost.
Attached Thumbnails Racing Harness Question-harness-bar-3-4-04-2.jpg