Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Track accomdate Electric Seats?(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
BrickydZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Track accomdate Electric Seats?(Long)

I have completed a search of this and another forum, and just can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I have a 2003 Brickyard Track and have tracked down a set of Touring Power/Heated Leather seats, at what I feel is a fair market price. Before I purchase them I need to make certain that I can install the power seats. Side Air Bags are not an issue, as my Track and the Touring both are without side airbags. Weight is not an issue as this is my daily driver, and not for racing.

I have found conflicting answers to these Questions:

Does the Track model have a preinstalled harness for power seats or not?

Has anyone installed factory power seats into a Track model using the pre installed electrical harness?

Has anyone installed an aftermarket power seat into a 350z?
Is so, please post details of what brand and if any problems were encountered?

I already know from an unrelated experience that the Touring model has a different wiring harness than the other trim levels due to the BOSE system. It would seem logical that the Touring model harness regardless of BOSE or not, is a standard harness for the Touring, and thusly dealer upgrades for the Touring from manual to power is probable.

But does the Track also have the preinstalled harness? Some people say NO, while others say YES.

Nissan was no help, in that they declined to comment on this type of upgrade due to liability I guess. Their only statement was that " it is not recommended".
I called my dealer and their tech didn't know.

I know that someone has had to ask this question before and that someone has either "done the research" or "has installed one".

Please help..........Thanks.

Last edited by BrickydZ; 03-18-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
BrickydZ

Bump
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 PM
apsilon

This probably doesn't help much but FWIW the track model here comes with the electric leather seats as standard. That fact may mean you've got a reasonable chance that they're installed on all models.

Perhaps the easiest answer is to pull out your passenger seat and see?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My track has the harness under it to take a heated seat...

There was (if my memory serves me right) a white harness and an orange. Forgot which was which.

One of mine is always unplugged (i.e. non-heated seat)...

All you should have to do is run the switches.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Brando222
Ziologist

I think I have the most knowledge on this subject. If you do a search, you should be able to find that I installed Touring seats into my Performance Z. I believe I'm still the only one to have done this so far. You should be the second. I too had the same questions, and people told me that yes the wiring harness should already be there, and that all you would have to do is swap the seats and it would be plug and play. Wrong! The only plugs I found were the seat belt sensors. So I had to look up the wiring diagrams in the service manual. This iswhat you will need to do. Tap into the power window power (I think this is the power source I used and the source the service manual says is used) and you will also have to build in a relay for the heated seats because they are based on a timer/temperature that turns the heat on and off at certain times, depending on if they are on high or low. It wasn't too much work, but if you don't know what you are doing, just go to your local reputable audio/alarm installer and they should be able to do it for you. It's actually really easy to check if their are plugs. Its only 4 bolts that hold the seat down. Take them off and see for yourself. You'll only see one small seatbelt plug and thats it. Good luck. Oh and the plugs Pheonix are talking about I believe are not for the touring seats. THe white is for the seat belt and the yellow is for airbags. The touring seats I installed had 3 harnesses, 1 white for the seatbelt sensor, one white for heating/power, and a yellow one for side airbags which I left unplugged since I didn't originally have side airbags.

Last edited by Brando222; 03-21-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Brando222
Oh and the plugs Pheonix are talking about I believe are not for the touring seats. THe white is for the seat belt and the yellow is for airbags. The touring seats I installed had 3 harnesses, 1 white for the seatbelt sensor, one white for heating/power, and a yellow one for side airbags which I left unplugged since I didn't originally have side airbags.
I stand corrected if heated seats have three!