Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash kit installation--experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:46 AM
MI_Roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash kit installation--experiences?

Hey all,

Got a question. I've got a leased Roadster coming (leased b/c I work for Nissan, and get a HELL of a deal vs. buying one), and I'm curious about dash kits. The interior is so charcoal & drab... a red dash kit to match the Redline paint would look trick.

But thing is... how permanent are they? Will I be able to remove it in two years w/o totally damaging the plastic underneath? The last thing I want to do is have to replace the whole center console before I turn it in, two years from now...

Anyone have any experience with dash kits & interior mods? Thanks!

-Aa.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 AM
CarbonZ

there pretty permanent, i believe theyre paint on.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:15 AM
MI_Roadster

Um, no. I'm talking about the pre-made carbon fiber or plastic resin kits that affix via adhesive to the instrument panel, radio, center console, etc. Like these:

www.autodash.com

Anyone have experience with these things?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:20 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default Re: Dash kit installation--experiences?

Originally posted by MI_Roadster
Hey all,

Got a question. I've got a leased Roadster coming (leased b/c I work for Nissan, and get a HELL of a deal vs. buying one), and I'm curious about dash kits. The interior is so charcoal & drab... a red dash kit to match the Redline paint would look trick.

But thing is... how permanent are they? Will I be able to remove it in two years w/o totally damaging the plastic underneath? The last thing I want to do is have to replace the whole center console before I turn it in, two years from now...

-Aa.
Those dash kits that peel and stick usually need an adhesion promoter applied to the dash before sticking it down. They are one dimesional and are difficult to remove once applied. They come off in pieces making them non-reusable. For a few hundred (maybe less with your connections, wink, wink,) you can buy all the affected interior pieces and swap them out when you turn the car in. Maybe you will decide to keep it after the lease is up too. If you want a higher quality kit we can do the molded look. It is twice as much but we do sell alot of them Ckeckhttp://www.elegantwooddesign.com/350zphoto.htm
Plus it will be easier to sell our kit once your lease is up as it is a much better looking treatment. Just a thought
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM
CatastrophZZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dash kit installation--experiences?

Originally posted by MI_Roadster
Hey all,

-Aa.
id say paint it but also buy a replacement dash for when-before you're returning the car.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:15 PM
stopgo

I just installed a dash replacement that I received from elegantwooddesign.com. Despite a few minor fitment quibbles, this is definitely the way to go. Just keep in mind that you'll have to forfeit a $200 core charge to keep your old dash components.

The big drawback is that a full complement of parts to replace your dash is gonna be costly. On the order of $1100 or so if you choose colored CF with painted guage clusters. But as for the aesthetic effect, nothing could be more impressive. My kit was done in DB, and I suspect that factory red would be at least as cool.

I just got a new digital camera this evening, so photos will be forthcoming soon.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Scott