Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 AM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dkent2
I am a professional window tinter in PA. $250 is a more then fair price for a quality tint job on a 350Z. As for 3M being the best, that is debatable. I use Llumar automotive window film, it is the best of the best and only true professional tint shops can get this film. All of you who buy illegal tint from tint shops are not getting a professional job. A true professional tint shop will not install illegal tint on your car. Check to see if you can see cut lines on your rear window, look for contamination between the glass and the film, water bubbles, and little dots around the edges of the glass. All of these things can be found on almost all cheap tint installs. If you find this type of work acceptable then you should go somewhere where they charge $120 for all windows. If you want a professional job I would suggest you call around, and look at the work that comes out of the shop before you have anything installed.
Is 35% illegal in PA? What's the stock tint on the Z..apparently the legal limit is an aggregate of the stock and aftermarket tint?

btw i got 20% 3m on my Z in PA (please, i am not a bad person ) but I do see some small bubbles, mostly on the back window edges...in each bubble i can see what appears to be tiny hairs or something...not visible from 5 feet away but it does bug me. I may be interested in legal tint from you if you can guarantee that wouldn't happen. I paid 200 bucks unfortunately.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:46 AM
thunder0880

Can someone post a pic of platinum tint on a db?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Iezzi

Originally posted by Dissolved
Actually I have a dr's note, so it isnt illegal. I'm going to go darker once I get some more $$$ to blow They are definitely not a hack shop. Best work I have ever seen. I've had a lot of tint jobs done over the years too. They use lumar film as well. You'll be at the Z meet in a few weeks right? You can see for yourself
If you have a note from an eye doctor you can have a darker %. In that case the tint installer can put on whatever % you want on the vehicle. You should realize that police can still stop you and force you to show your eye doctor’s note. Also another thing to think about is night driving. If you have 20% tint or darker you are impairing your night vision and the safety of yourself and others greatly.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Iezzi

Unfortunately in PA anything other than 70% is illegal on front drivers and passenger side windows. Most cars from the factory are close to 70% (including the Z). If you did find a tint shop that would put 35% on for you I think you would be safe. Although it is illegal I rarely hear of anyone ticked for 35% window tint in PA. I know that people who get illegal tint in PA are usually not bad people; PA window tinting laws are rough for customers and tint shops. The shops that really anger me are the ones that do cheap jobs and hack installs. They make the whole industry look bad and take business away form those shops who try to keep it legal and still make some money.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Dream2Reality

I got 35% all around (except windshield) and I think it's the perfect darkness. No issues seeing at night
Old 04-14-2004, 01:31 PM
zeroday

honestly ive had no troubles at night with 20% all around...if i really thought it was dangerous i'd be the first one to pull it off.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:52 PM
IsatteliteI

I am a professional window tinter in PA. $250 is a more then fair price for a quality tint job on a 350Z. As for 3M being the best, that is debatable. I use Llumar automotive window film, it is the best of the best and only true professional tint shops can get this film. All of you who buy illegal tint from tint shops are not getting a professional job. A true professional tint shop will not install illegal tint on your car. Check to see if you can see cut lines on your rear window, look for contamination between the glass and the film, water bubbles, and little dots around the edges of the glass. All of these things can be found on almost all cheap tint installs. If you find this type of work acceptable then you should go somewhere where they charge $120 for all windows. If you want a professional job I would suggest you call around, and look at the work that comes out of the shop before you have anything installed.
Being that you're a pro maybe you can help me out. My Z is silver with the frost (gray) interior and I'm thinking that a very light blue tint, like Mercedes, would look sweet. Does anyone make this sort of thing, and if so would it look as sweet as I think?
Looking for everyones opinion, if anyone has pics it would be great.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Aftrmidnyt

I like the idea of the blue tint. Should look "Smokin'" on your Z.
I,ve ordered Dark blue tint on my DB roadster and 3m rock gaurd on full front and door kick plates for about $550. (CDN Peso).
Pick it up at end of April. Post some pix for you then.
Till then, theres some talented Z'ers on the photoshop thread that might give you an idea what it will look like be fore you drop the ca$h. Just ask nice and I'm sure they will help you out.
Cheers, AFT.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
ZxRage

I paid $150 for all 5 windows. I got 50% on the front sides and 20% on the 1/4's and hatch.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 AM
jhchan

Hi dkent2,

As a pro installer what type of llumar film do you suggest? I guess I just don't want anything with metallics because I use a radar detector. I looked on their website and there seem to be several different types. I'm looking for a regular good quality tint. Nothing fancy. I'm probably going through Tint King in Billerica, MA. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Iezzi

I would suggest LLumar ATR CH series (the CH stands for charcoal color). ATR is not a full metal film it is a mix of dye and metal flake. In my opinion it is the best Llumar film you can use. Llumar also offers AR CH that is dye only, but dyed films will fade quicker than metal films. Dyed films usually last about 3 years max. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:58 PM
jhchan

Thanks for the info. Any idea if the semi-metallic will effect radar detectors? I assume yes for rear detection??? I guess I should expect around $200 for this type of install also?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Z_Pride

$250 all the way around minus the front. In the states you shouldn't expect to pay more than $250 max.

5% tint
Attached Thumbnails Window tint-im000397.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z_Pride, very nice, that's the same model and color i'm getting Dec. Is it easy to see through that tint? I want something just above legal.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Z_Pride

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Z_Pride, very nice, that's the same model and color i'm getting Dec. Is it easy to see through that tint? I want something just above legal.
Thanks! Actually unless theres light inside it then it's near impossible to see through, 5% is the darkest I believe? If you want legal then 5% is a no go, but you can still get great looking windows and still be legal. I think 22% is the darkest you can get in Texas.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:14 AM
jhchan

I would suggest LLumar ATR CH series (the CH stands for charcoal color). ATR is not a full metal film it is a mix of dye and metal flake. In my opinion it is the best Llumar film you can use. Llumar also offers AR CH that is dye only, but dyed films will fade quicker than metal films. Dyed films usually last about 3 years max. Good luck!
Any idea how long I should expect a semi-metalic to last? I assume this stuff is guaranteed to some point? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:27 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember correctly i was told my llumar semi metallic charcoal tint should last 7 years no problem, but will fade after that.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
FLZ

I'm opening a Tint Shtoop,I mean Shop in Saudi Arabia...jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
MotiCarmona

basicly anyone that paid over $200 got ripped off ,again , shouldnt be more then $150 and only because i knew the guy he told me $130 , still looks great and i have life time warrenty
Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 PM
lunartick13

Default window tint location

I need window tint on my LS, the temp got about 90 degree here in woodstock Il. my car set all day in the parking lot, after getting off work and I opened that door, WOW! it had to be like a hundred degree inside the car. Anyway does anyone know someone local that does excellent work I would apprcciate it very much. and what is legal in Illinois?

Quick Reply: Window tint