Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 04:10 AM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks like good quality...but you will find out the truth when you send it to the body shop...the biggest annoyance with replica kits is the unsmooth or uneven surface...once you pass that test its smooth sailing
Old 06-23-2004, 07:50 AM
350nt

squill, which kit did you get the wings from vis or the initial d kit? didn't really get what you were saying(is the vis kit bad). also, is the price the same?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:54 AM
SQUILL

Originally posted by 350nt
squill, which kit did you get the wings from vis or the initial d kit? didn't really get what you were saying(is the vis kit bad). also, is the price the same?
The First kit i bought was the wings kit from Vis Racing directly.
It was 749 bucks ... should have known better but i talked to one of their guys there and they assured me of its fitment and quality
they also said the kit was hand laid fiberglass and was made in japan...eh no.. it is obviously chopper gun and who knows where it was made. The kit is just terible and also now that i have the Initial d kit to compare it too i was amazed that the vis pieces are about 3 times heaver than the initial d pieces.

Here is a good pic to show the fitment issues with the vis kit ..whoops its just a little short..unbelieveable
Anybody that is a member of imagestation.com or wants to join to see the rest of the pics of the vis kit have a look..http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286668663
Attached Thumbnails Initial D Kit (INGS Replica):  It has begun!-bodykit-009.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 06:06 PM
350nt

squill, the pics are the vis kit? is the initial d kit alot better than the vis kit? cause i was going to get the vis kit but if it looks like that, i'm just going to pay more and get the initial d. did you put the kits side by side and can you tell a big differents and have you test fitted the initial d kit yet? also, is thier a big differents in the fiberglass? sorry for all the questions squill, its cause i was going to get the vis kit from a friend that has a shop and told me he would give me the vis kit for 650 shipped. thanks for the info!!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:22 PM
SQUILL

yea i wouldnt get the vis kit if i were u unless mine happens to be 1 off bad kit or something. The vis kit is full us waves and distortions which are harder to see in the photos ..but still if you looked through the imige station photos u probably got the picture ... the difference in fiber glass quality between the initial d and vis is night and day .. Sharif had his test fited and said the kit fit well... i havent done it yet cuz ive got Sharif as my guinne pig as the kits are the same...Thanks Sharif. and it will be about a week or so till i can get my car in the shop

If you want to get the vis kit I would have it test fited before purchase because the one i got is just garbage and i would assume the other ones are the same..

I was very impressed with the initial D kit as it sits in raw form now and we will get the final verdict from Sharif in a day or so as soon as his kit is finished.. I cant wait to see it! I dont want to steal his thread though so if anyone that has questions about the Vis kit go ahead and pm me!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update from the body shop. Nathan is the owner, and he has been calling me about twice a day for updates. After a closer and through examination, turns out the kit had some waves in it, and a few cracks. These are things that he noticed after applying some primer and other things to the material. We didnt notice them out of the box.

To make a long story short, the orignal price quote was $1000-$1200. But becuase he had to apply 80% of the surface with filler, and did tons of blocking, filling, and sanding, the price is now up to $1900!!! He has 3 guys working on it full time...eight hours a day! And he took pictures of everything so I can post those too later on. This guy does perfect work, and he knows I am very picky...so there you have it!

I am a bit dissapointed, since Intense told me the kit is virtually paint ready. But there were cracks and other imperfections in the kit.....in addition to the wavyness in certain areas. Those "repairs" are costing me about $700-$900 in extra labor charges.

Does anyone know if the orignal INGS kit is TRUELY paint ready? Even for a nerdy perfectionist like me? Again...out of the box, I only noticed a minor section of wavyness, and other minor blemishes.......sounds like Squill felt the same way....a quality kit.

The car will be done on Friday COB, so I'll take some pics before the sun sets.

HTH,

Your current INGS Replica guinea pig! thanks Squill!

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 06-23-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Rayden2001

Those kits is gonna look bada$$. Congrats Squill and gq
Old 06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Mr B

Sharif... the real Ings kit is PAINT READY out of the box and doesn't need that much work at all. I'm sorry to hear about the extra charges for the Initial D kit.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:59 PM
SQUILL

Sharif you have just killed me ha! Now i am in a deep depression which only loads of prescription drugs can overcome j/k anyway it will be interesting to see what my body shop thinks of the kit!

it sounds like they will have it perfect for you when its done which is all too important in black of course.

One thing i did think was cheap was the steel mesh thats installed with the kit ..i need to source a higher quality replacement as i have no polished giant FMIC to show off like GQ does

Hurry up friday i wanna see!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:44 AM
DIGItonium

Why not use MS Paint (Assuming most have Win2k or XP) to resize images?

Image => Stretch/Skew

Type same values for horizontal and vertical stretch. Anything below 100% is a reduction.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
vice86

How could a kit made for your specific car be that off? Did they guess??
Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

$1900 to prep and paint body kit? damn...

good luck!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:48 PM
joust75

Originally posted by SQUILL
The First kit i bought was the wings kit from Vis Racing directly.
It was 749 bucks ... should have known better but i talked to one of their guys there and they assured me of its fitment and quality
they also said the kit was hand laid fiberglass and was made in japan...eh no.. it is obviously chopper gun and who knows where it was made. The kit is just terible and also now that i have the Initial d kit to compare it too i was amazed that the vis pieces are about 3 times heaver than the initial d pieces.

Here is a good pic to show the fitment issues with the vis kit ..whoops its just a little short..unbelieveable
Anybody that is a member of imagestation.com or wants to join to see the rest of the pics of the vis kit have a look..http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286668663
Thanks for the link. I now know that I will buy nothing from VIS. I feel for you Squill. You must have been so dissappointed when you got that kit.

BEst of luck with the initial D!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:18 PM
basam350z

Here is a guy that has it on and painted, for those interested.

YUMMA this is nice!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Mr B

Is that the Ings kit or the Initial D one? Two toned?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Guys, I'm guessing that lots of body shops would look at the kit and just primer and paint it. It's not totally horibble, it just takes a lot of costs to get it perfect. So I am not certain that an orginal INGS kit would any better. See, each body shop is different, and some may have different levels of perfection in mind as they prep the kit. No question, the kit could have been primered and painted almost straight away...but this guy wanted to absolutely perfect.

So I cant really say what the kit would look like in the out of the box condition. I guess we'll never know.

I'm intersted to see what Squill's body shop says. And Squill..dont go taking that thing to Macco or something...ok?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Oh, one more quick update. I saw the parts today in the paint booth. They had 2 coats of color on them, and he was going to put one more coat before doing the clear coat.

I must say...they look FLAWLESS! Wow......ultra smooth...not an imprefection that I could see. Can't wait to see it cleared and installed on the car!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:48 PM
SQUILL

Originally posted by gq_626
Oh, one more quick update. I saw the parts today in the paint booth. They had 2 coats of color on them, and he was going to put one more coat before doing the clear coat.

I must say...they look FLAWLESS! Wow......ultra smooth...not an imprefection that I could see. Can't wait to see it cleared and installed on the car!
Hurry up! No im not going to take it to macco they want too much Im going with Earl Sheib $99.95!

Hee hee J/K the shop im most likely going to use is boulder auto body... They said they have done a few body kits and it would be no porblem working with fiberglass and explaind some of the things to me what was involved in prepping fiberglass body panels so it sounds like they know what they are doing however here in colorado we are hardly the tuner capital so its hard to find a shop that does body kits all the time.

Hey you know with al the beat up civics , integras and neons around here you would think nobody paints their body kits LOL.

You know what else im kinda hesitant to install the kit yet as i am still rollin the factory DuBz LOL... I think I might look like a jerk driving around with a body kit and no sweet wheels to match!

I really like the Hiros but no 10.5 width yet for the rear. I like those volks that Sharif has as well the Volk GT-C's. Man i cant decide on what wheels to get!

Got my nazar speaker box for three 10's the other day as well so i need to get my stereo install scheduled as well damn im in a bottelneck all of a sudden!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:55 PM
KrazY-2K

Grats guys! Can hardly wait to see those beasts painted...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:57 PM
basam350z

Initial D

Originally posted by Mr B
Is that the Ings kit or the Initial D one? Two toned?

Quick Reply: Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!