Vertical Door install questions????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:41 PM
jwkirkland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to install until...

OK.

I really wanted the lambo door kit.

Ready to order and do it until I visited a body shop here in San Diego that specializes in tuner cars. This shop is know for it's bodywork, swamped 24/7, one of the reasons turn around is so slow. I went out and talked to them and basically I was told not to do lambo doors. For a shop that wants to make money turning away business I was alarmed. Here were the reasons I was given after they had done quite a few installs on 350z's.

The doors need to be opened OUT for a min amount before UP and damage has happened on each of their installs so far. This is known by me and you, but does everyone who gets into your car or opens the door know this? A Valet guy could kill your door in one night. They told me most damage on passenger side. Do you want to have to "instruct" everybody who gets into your car how to operate the doors?

They have also seen problems with the door alligning badley due to weak hinges, like the door drops down a 1/4 inch and it has to be lifted up to close properly.

Are these problems seen by others? I want to say I really would like to get the lambo doors, so if it is a certain kit that is better than others please let me know.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:41 PM
jwkirkland

Default Ready to install until...

OK.

I really wanted the lambo door kit.

Ready to order and do it until I visited a body shop here in San Diego that specializes in tuner cars. This shop is know for it's bodywork, swamped 24/7, one of the reasons turn around is so slow. I went out and talked to them and basically I was told not to do lambo doors. For a shop that wants to make money turning away business I was alarmed. Here were the reasons I was given after they had done quite a few installs on 350z's.

The doors need to be opened OUT for a min amount before UP and damage has happened on each of their installs so far. This is known by me and you, but does everyone who gets into your car or opens the door know this? A Valet guy could kill your door in one night. They told me most damage on passenger side. Do you want to have to "instruct" everybody who gets into your car how to operate the doors?

They have also seen problems with the door alligning badley due to weak hinges, like the door drops down a 1/4 inch and it has to be lifted up to close properly.

Are these problems seen by others? I want to say I really would like to get the lambo doors, so if it is a certain kit that is better than others please let me know.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 AM
mcduck

Full review will be posted in about a week. I want to get some really good pics and have time to use the doors before I pass judgment.

I don't think alignment is an issue if the doors are installed properly to start with. Bear in mind, my installer spent A LOT of time getting the alignment correct. It would be easy to just slap the doors on and let it go, only to have an alignment issue a month or two later. If you do it right the first time, you don't have these worries.

The problem with this kit is it is billed as a DIY bolt-on and it's not. Doing a proper install takes A LOT of time.

As I said, I'll be posting a full review in about a week. Hope you guys & gals can hang tight until then.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:47 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

In my response to your original post I cautioned about the complexity of the design. As an experienced machinist, I was convinced that trying to recreate this hinge system would not be worth the time and effort.

My installers initially thought they would be able to do it in a day. It ended up taking them 2 weeks!!!

After 8 weeks, my install is still performing perfect. I have had NO alignment problems, NO damaged panels, and NO regrets.

I have my old hinges, and I could put them back on...but I haven't had the slightest inclination to do that.

I agree this is not a BOLT-ON mod. I believe it demands the skills of someone who has hung and adjusted doors before, and/or ideally someone who has installed this kit before.

My install is proof that it can be done correctly. I hope yours turns out as well.
Attached Thumbnails Vertical Door install questions????-rearshot2.jpg  

Last edited by JCat; 08-10-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM
mcduck

jcn...

I agree... it can be done right, it just takes time and the right installer. I think many are under the impression that the kit fits up with very little modification tho. Going in, I was aware of cutting the inner fender metal and extending the wires, that's all. There is soooo much more to get it in correctly and working right.

Now that mine is on, I couldn't be happier, but oh what a journey to get it on!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:09 PM
coolmancopper

How much are we talking for the conversion and what kind of comments have received from people on it?

I think I would like to have it done to my car but unsure if it looks too gay.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would like to have it done to my car but unsure if it looks too gay.
Uh, what are you, 16 years old? Anyone who feels that the doors look "gay" as you put it, probably shouldn't consider them.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
this is not a DIY kit. huge hassle. i've had mine for about 4 months now.

i've had to realign them twice. temps will mess with how the doors align. you shouldnt have to take anything off to align the doors. just go to a small hardware shop, and im sure you'll find everything you need to do the adjustment yourself. it should take longer then 5 minutes to adjust the doors. they are perfectly lined up as of now.

there is rubbing on the door panels when the doors are opened up. the door kinda rests on the piller of your car. overtime they will scratch the paint and rip the panels if you dont do something about your door panels. i just finished working on the passenger side door panel. i shaved off a chunk of it. you still have to be carefull when opening, but the door doesnt rest on the piller anymore. problem solved....for the passenger side anyway. i still gotta get the time to do the driver side.

it is possible to open the door from a seated position, but you have to get a spot as far back on the door to give yourself more leverage.

bottom line. WELL worth it.

So how many times have you had to reallign your doors after the initial install? Do you think this is a matter the shop not doing the installation properly right the first time or is this something that happens eventually?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Again, SunsetZ, please reiterate that you DO NOT HAVE the Vertical Doors kit. Yours is the Decah kit correct? NOT the same thing we are talking about.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:32 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

bonz, what's your progress?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:22 AM
MySunset350Z

i dont think anyone is taking about any 1 specific brand of kit. we're talking in general. but yes, i have the decah kit and not whatever other kit you mentioned.

re-aligning the doors is not the shops fault, its expected with a new install and temp changes. i've so far aligned the doors 2 times since my install about 5 months ago. like i said, a less then 5 minute process with the right tools, or you can take it to a shop to have them do it.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Mr Twisted

JWKIRKLAND In San diego go to the GT factory in Northern SD they do the only Vertical lambo conversion 90 degrees not 45 like everyone else's Door panels have to be modified Takes about 4 days
Do'nt mess around with the other kits.

Mr Twisted and the Twisted Z pics in So Cal gallery

Last edited by Mr Twisted; 08-14-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:48 AM
jwkirkland

thanks TWISTED

will look them up
Old 08-15-2004, 05:47 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I haven't started yet. I have a guy who is going to do it for me but first I have some bigger fish to fry. I'm heading down to Maryland tomorrow to drop the car off at AAM to have their fuel system put in (billet rails, larger injectors, pump, return system etc), getting the ECU flashed for FI to retard timing, getting a wideband A/F sensor/gauge installed, and getting the 9 psi ATI pulley installed and the car dyno tuned.

The doors will come after all of that. Hopefully by the end of this month.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing mcduck's doors in person, I WANT THEM NOW! They really give the car a show quality look, and there is a major bling factor in having them. I also like how you can exit the car without lifting up the doors...so a discrete entry and exit is still possible.

One thing dont like about these doors is the fact that you have to push down slightly as you close the door. The piston seems to want to pull up on a door ever to slightly. You'd like the design of the hinges would keep the door aligned and on track, once the door is down in push in slightly.

Mr Twisted has that other brand of vertical doors...the ones that go up 90degrees, and I have tried his doors, and they are smoother, and virtually automatic in a nature. They close themselves....pretty much....no drama. Apparently, as Twisted mentioned, it requires some modding of the door panel, but for those that have seen his car...it's pretty damn impressive.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 AM
alddave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT Factory

Originally posted by gq_626
After seeing mcduck's doors in person, I WANT THEM NOW! They really give the car a show quality look, and there is a major bling factor in having them. I also like how you can exit the car without lifting up the doors...so a discrete entry and exit is still possible.

One thing dont like about these doors is the fact that you have to push down slightly as you close the door. The piston seems to want to pull up on a door ever to slightly. You'd like the design of the hinges would keep the door aligned and on track, once the door is down in push in slightly.

Mr Twisted has that other brand of vertical doors...the ones that go up 90degrees, and I have tried his doors, and they are smoother, and virtually automatic in a nature. They close themselves....pretty much....no drama. Apparently, as Twisted mentioned, it requires some modding of the door panel, but for those that have seen his car...it's pretty damn impressive.
The GT Factory seems to be the best but it requires the door panel mods and a good body shop for the install. My mod took about 3 weeks but they also did a turbo install at the same time. It has been on since Jan. The doors close perfect and does not leak. The only change I would recommend is reinforceing the area under the door panel just to be safe. Also with the GTF mod it is welded to your car so you can not going back after it is done (without buying new doors and repairing the welded areas). I have not seen it yet but they are supposed to have a motorized option with the GTF kit also.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

So when is Andy going to post some pics? The other half of the Brickyard Bros. is getting antsy!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 AM
mcduck

Smile Some general commentary about the lambo doors...

OK... It's now been more than a week since the doors went on. I still need to right my review, but here are a few thoughts regarding some of the comments on this thread...

First... for those who know me... you know how much I have done to my Z. For WOW factor, no other single mod has generated more interest than the lambo doors. In the 10 or so days they have been on the car, I've been stopped, chased down, diverted traffic, and asked more questions about them than any other thing about my car over a similar span of time... more than the Brickyard color... more than the Vortech SC... more than my 420+rwhp dynos... even more than when I first got the car after preordering and there were no 350s around!

If you can tolerate the pain in the a$$ of putting them on, they certainly are cool and will attract a crowd.

A few minor things I have noticed so far...

1 - because the door hinges move the door back ever so slightly, you do hear a little more "road noise" through the doors when the windows are up. It's only mildly noticeable and you probably won't pay it any attention if you are talking to someone or listening to the radio.

2 - rattles - I'm guessing it's because the vertical door hinges are not fixed vertically (duh) like the stock hinges, but when you hit a bad bump the doors will let out a quick rattle. To me it sounds like the rattle is emanating from where the latch and latch lock come together. This is not frequent, though, just when you hit really bad bumps. I'm very picky about my car and even I can live with this in exchange for the effect the doors have when open.

3 - What I have found is that this is an effect of temperature on the vertical door hydraulic pistons. In hot weather, the fluid in the lifting mechanism "expands" I guess. I say this because in 90+ degree weather, I have noticed the door wants to pop up quickly when you open the doors. 75 or so degrees and below, the doors will stay horizontal until you give them a nudge to move upward. Waiting to see how they act when it gets really cold outside.

4 - They draw a crowd! I know I said this earlier, but I cannot tell you how many times in the past week I've had to stop and answer questions just because I was getting into or out of my car with the doors up.

So when is Andy going to post some pics? The other half of the Brickyard Bros. is getting antsy!
Working on it, Bonz... seems everytime I get a free day to take some pics, the weather turns out crappy for taking those pics. My guess is I will probably I have some to post after HIN-Atlanta next weekend!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:07 AM
jwkirkland

Great post....you really are convincing me to install this mod....LOL
Old 08-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Andy: With all the talk of people who say that they have had to adjust their doors on occasion, I had an interesting thought that was mentioned to me down at Altered Atmosphere today.

Do you think it would be worthwhile or advantageous to weld the door hinges on once you have them properly aligned so as to keep them that way. I wonder if this would remedy your "rattle"?

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Vertical Door install questions????