Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Lights have arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
myz8a4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to help some of the z owners confusion here i wanted to add this: i think z owners here want to see pics to see how bright they may be & the potential match of the color they are interested in - in a particular area of thier z. just curiousity of wether it will light up(brightness) more or less than what they expected as well as match a possible color they intended to see........
also there may be some confusion as far as how the led lights perform after a particular color has been selected. you mentioned that the leds light up white, then roll through the spectrum of colors. do they still light up white momentarily before changing to the selected color after a particular color has been chosen(using the jumper)? how long will it stay white before changing to the selected color(if this applies)? then after a certain color has been selected, does it still slowly fade to black or instantly turn off when power is cut? are the leds too bright to have "on" while driving at night?(i.e. one mini in each footwell that turn on when the park lamps are powered)
i think these things are great & would love to have my footwells light up amber/orange like my instrument panels/radio do!

thanx,
-justin
Old 10-26-2004, 03:50 PM
MacGyver

Justin,

While no tri-color LED combo can match every possible color, I think mine do a pretty good job. Red, Green, and Blue are all rich, deep colors, but if I had to pick one area that I personally feel lacks, it would be the purples. I can still select a wide range of purple shades, but I've never felt they were "deep" enough for my taste.

Once a color has been selected and stored in memory, the Mini will act as if it only has that color LED attached to it... when you apply power, it immediately displays the stored color. Once power is removed, well, it turns off.

The Minis are pretty bright, but they should be too much of a bother at night, so long as you're not looking directly at them (it'll blind you for a while if you catch them full on). If they are too bright, you can cover them with a transparent material, like a very thin piece of paper (crepe, maybe?) or window tinting.

I'm hoping to have the code for the Footwell Lights ported over by the first week in November.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Autobahn

I'm not sure we're quite getting the response we need. A number of us (me included) are just interested in amber, orange, or whatever color you would call it that matches our gauges and radio.

Without mentioning the other colors in the rainbow can you let you give us an idea on whether we can get a match for the dashboard lights. I don't know about the others but I'm not into doing a lot of extra work for bulb replacements. Can YOU pre-set the led's for interested 350Z buyers to amber?

Also I don't know what a festoon bulb is. Can someone determine if this is a true plug-and-play replacement for the map lights trunk light etc? Also does anyone know how the footwell lights would be wired to either turn on with the parking lights or turn on and off with the door opening/closing?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM
KShep

The map/dome light is a festoon and inserts kind of like an old style fuse. The trunk/rear cargo light is a 169/194 and plugs into a socket.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:52 AM
MacGyver

Brakelight Tubes and Sidemarker Lights are now available for purchase.

Finished up the code this morning...
Old 11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by MacGyver
Brakelight Tubes and Sidemarker Lights are now available for purchase.

Finished up the code this morning...
Where?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Jun
Where?
Nevermind, i found your website in your profile, thanks anyways .
Old 11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
MacGyver

I'll be spending a good chunk of tonight cleaning up the webpage, adding new pics/products, etc. Unfortunately, the e-cart is STILL not ready (the logic fails to calculate the price correctly).
Old 11-07-2004, 05:29 PM
silverstoneTT

Macgyver, can you just explain to me how exactly one makes the LED display only one color? How hard is it to do this?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
MacGyver

When first powered up, the Mini fades up from black to bright white, holds there for several seconds, then begins a slow, smooth fade over the entire rainbow of colors. When the color you want shows up, you short two contacts with a supplied jumper. The LEDs flash to let you know the color has been stored in memory. If you ever want to change the color, short the contacts again and the color cycling process starts over.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
350zWhite04

not to be a *******..but didnt these things exist on cell phones? lol i think i can take mine apart or better yet goto the mall and buy one of those flashing cell antennas and stick it in my car...
Old 11-09-2004, 04:02 AM
MacGyver

If a flashing antenna is what you want, then by all means, stick one in your car. <shrug> I'm not really sure what that has to do with the Minis, but sometimes I find it's better to simply smile and nod...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:00 PM
MacGyver

Long story short, it looks like the Footwell Tubes will be ready for ordering in the next couple of days. I just worked out the last bugs I could find, give me another day or so for proper testing, then they will begin shipping.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:10 PM
suse

What's the word on this??
Old 11-21-2004, 04:14 PM
MacGyver

Oh, sorry about that... Footwell Tubes are finished.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:33 PM
suse

how much??
Old 11-21-2004, 07:14 PM
MacGyver

$65/tube, or $125/pair shipped. Full user color selection, timed fade-out, etc.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Autobahn

Do we have pictures yet? I'm not sure what a footwell tube is. Has anyone from the website purchased any of these LED kits yet to verift that we can get an "amber" color out of them. Also anyone know high to tie into the door switch so the lights would turn on when the door opens?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 06:16 AM
MacGyver

A member should be purchasing a pair of Footwell Tubes in a few days... I'll ask if he minds posting a review.

For the amber, I sat in my garage a couple of weeks ago matching up the color to the turn signals on my S. A few local guys have seen it and agree it matches.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Autobahn

MacGyver,

What's a "s"? And why are you talking about turn signals?

I'm asking if the footwell tubes can be set to an amber that matches the interior amber lighting of the Z's cockpit instrumentation.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Mini Lights have arrived!