Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Not Counting 'New Threads' and 'New Posts' = Faster Response?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:41 PM
ganz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Counting 'New Threads' and 'New Posts' = Faster Response?

I'm noticing an faster response time when I load the forum's index page especially now that it does not count new posts and threads. Is counting for new posts and threads creating heavy load on the database?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:24 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default was wondering same thing

I was wondering the same thing. The speed up seemed to correspond with the non-counting. Sweet.

I also THINK this has fixed my problem where I would see NNN new messages in MMM new threads but when I clicked through to see them there were NO new threads.

Whatever you web masters did, it seems to be a "good thing"
Old 09-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, MUCH faster now. I hope the OTHER problem I have had is also fixed. Whenever there were a bunch of new posts, and I hit the "view new posts" button, as I waded through the new ones, if it took me awhile, they would all be automatically "marked as read" and then the "go directly to last unread post" function will no longer work.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:32 AM
Morris

I think so!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Buub

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Yep, MUCH faster now. I hope the OTHER problem I have had is also fixed. Whenever there were a bunch of new posts, and I hit the "view new posts" button, as I waded through the new ones, if it took me awhile, they would all be automatically "marked as read" and then the "go directly to last unread post" function will no longer work.
Doc, I think this is just a necessary feature of the board system. (Guessing, I haven't read the source code.)

The last-unread-post feature requires and index to know where to put you. This index is probably generated when you hit the "view new posts" link. It can't keep that index forever or else the database and/or memory would fill up, so it has to expire it eventually. Because of the nature of http, it has no knowledge of when you stop browsing; it gets no notification when you are "done". So it has to expire these indexes some time.

This, to me, is he most logical reason why last-unread-post feature disappears if you take too long to read your new posts.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:25 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actualyl the problem with the view new posts happened when i changed the look of the index, that is not the cause of the site being faster.

i'm trying to get it checked out.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:01 PM
jazzfest

This web site is loading too fast for me....I like it when it took 1 or 2 minutes load because I had the time to use the bathroom, now I have to hold it until I read all the new posts. IMO!
Old 09-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Buub

Mike how many RWHP did you add, by the way?