Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.
View Poll Results: Vendors giving discounts to reviewers will impact the review in a bias way.
True
30.00%
False
60.00%
Possibly
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Should Vendors be giving discounted prices to testers/reviewers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beddow
I don't think I am confused at all here. If R&D is done and manufacturing commences, this would seem you are satified with the test results implemented in your R&D. Then why release the product to the public for purchase then target individuals for reviews? Seems the personal reviews will come on their own, right? You can find a review for just about everything we can purchase for the 350z, people want to give their opinions/reviews on their purchases.

I am glad to see you have the same outlook as me when it come to reviewers giving positive reviews due to discounts. That is really the debate I am pushing in this thread.
It all comes down to marketing and sales. Word of mouth and public approval/knowledge is the biggest way to promote your product. You can say XX about YOUR product but that's viewed as biased because it's YOUR product...you would never say anything bad about your own product and source of income (that's how the public thinks...as they should). To get by this you need to give an initial incentive to make people a "believer" (just as you believe in your product). People nowadays are hesitant to try something new and you need to offer something to get over the hump of hesitation. You don't want someone who will buy your product and never be heard from again to represent your product. You want someone who will be vocal and "proud" of what they have. Humans by nature follow "popular opinion" for the most part. It's this "popular opinion" you want on your side. Targeting those who are influential in forming peoples opinions (b/c believe it or not a LOT of people don't have their own) is to the sponsors benefit. Think of it as a "Street Promotion Team" and your "hiring" them by offering them the discount in exchange for their "honest opinion" and review.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
It all comes down to marketing and sales. Word of mouth and public approval/knowledge is the biggest way to promote your product. You can say XX about YOUR product but that's viewed as biased because it's YOUR product...you would never say anything bad about your own product and source of income (that's how the public thinks...as they should). To get by this you need to give an initial incentive to make people a "believer" (just as you believe in your product). People nowadays are hesitant to try something new and you need to offer something to get over the hump of hesitation. You don't want someone who will buy your product and never be heard from again to represent your product. You want someone who will be vocal and "proud" of what they have. Humans by nature follow "popular opinion" for the most part. It's this "popular opinion" you want on your side. Targeting those who are influential in forming peoples opinions (b/c believe it or not a LOT of people don't have their own) is to the sponsors benefit. Think of it as a "Street Promotion Team" and your "hiring" them by offering them the discount in exchange for their "honest opinion" and review.
I totally agree with this post Driven! So why then if it is on the marketing end of promoting the product, they target individuals? I would think you offer a special introductory price to consumers, like I see other companies do. I am really trying hard to leave compay names out of this thread, because I do not wish to promote anyone here. As a reader just think of some of the bigger named companies, and the process. They usually offer special prices to vendors, then the vendors sale to ALL of us at special price.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Driven1
Professional

Because you want those specific individuals who are influential in the community thus maximizing your return on investment (i.e. the discount).

Vendors...like sponsors are viewed as biased due to it being a primary source of their income. Vendors can't sell something people don't like. Your "vendors" aren't your primary source of marketing as they also market and sell your competitors products. Vendors operate on quantity of sales not "what they sell".

Last edited by Driven1; 04-08-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, wait I was only thinking of my350zforum vendors. So there are sponsors here to, so are they attempting to sale goods to us? Where do I find a list of sponsors? I only see a list of vendors. Also if you are a vendor, are you considered a sponsor vise versa? Is there really a defined difference.

Last edited by screener; 04-08-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Driven1
Professional

Technically I believe they are one in the same to IB. However imo a "sponsor" profits more from the business and work that they get from the site vs. a "vendor" who's primary purpose is to sell products.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My posts aren't attempting to paint you in any way. That isn't my interest nor do I even have the time to entertain such an idea. And "small interest?" You have a total of 10 votes at a forum with over 100 THOUSAND members. We have over thousand people a day that visit. You keep thinking the way it's convenient for you.

As far as using the discounts as an incentive, it's clearly working, no? There are lots of people who wouldn't dyno unless they were given an incentive. I recently did one a couple of months ago and the member only dyno'd and volunteered his car because he was getting a discount (so that he can pay for the dyno). If you think that people only dyno because friends get them interested, then that's strictly your opinion. AGAIN, THAT IS YOUR OPINION. I don't know how clearer I can make that.

And I agree with you in that our communication isn't going anywhere. I've stated that multiple times above yet you keep trying. Why?

I'm not failing to see anything. I understand that there could be bias and blah blah blah. I see your point. My point is that your posts won't get anybody anywhere so why even bother? Do YOOOOOOOOOOOU not get that? Again with the "several members" (you can count with 2 hands) among hundreds of thousands of members. BTW, I majored in psychology so I'm pretty sure I know well enough about bias (even wrote a 30+ paper over it.. you wanna read it?) and how the human mind works. I'm trying for a doctorate, also. KGGTHNXBAI.

It's obvious that you're the one failing at seeing things. I brought up the dyno aspect because that is part of the incentive/discount. You do realize that these members PAY for the dyno themselves, right? Thus, they're not really saving all that much and spending a lot more time than they actually need to. Anyway, if you don't understand why this was brought up, then I have no more to say.

Also, I personally am all about making power, but also doing it within budget. I'd love to know how each bolt-on mods affect the output, but I don't go dyno every single time I get a new mod. And my friends sure as hell don't interest me or deter me away from dynoing. Your logic fails hard here. I'm definitely interested (as you said), but I don't dyno. I only dyno when I gain something worthwhile from it (i.e., knowledge of my AFR after nitrous, difference in area under the curve after X amt of mods, a discount for the dyno, discount for a part, etc).

Anyway, to address your bolding of selective words in my post... You and I both know EXACTLY who you're referring to and why you even started this thread in the first place. Don't try to pin some BS on me. No other vendors on our forum even offers anything like what your thread is referring to (through various posters contributing info and opinion). Don't treat me like I'm doing something that I'm not supposed to or implying more than what's necessary or be condescending toward me or whatever else you're trying to spin on me. Be a man a call out the vendor if you feel his practices are immoral. Quit beating around the bush.

To answer your other post, on our forum the terms, "vendor" and "sponsor," are used almost interchangeably. There are differences, yes, but we consider them to be similar on our forums. IB, on the other hand, may consider these to be different (but they only handle technical and financial aspects of our forum, so it's irrelevant).

You agreed with me in admitting that this thread won't get anywhere. Thread closed.