Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Performance Clutch Selection

Old 12-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Dec Radius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Clutch Selection

I recently purchased a very clean Rev-Up model G with 100K miles on the clock. Reportedly it had its throw-out bearing replaced @ 66K, but no clutch replacement was mentioned in the service records. Nevertheless, the clutch seemed tight and compliant until this evening, when the clutch began to show the beginning signs of needing replacement in the not-too-distant future.

I do not track the car, and likely never will, but I am a spirited driver who expects the car to handle hard use when called upon to do so. I am not a drag racer, but I shift frequently in the twisties, and need a dependable set-up. I turn my own wrenches, and do not like to tear down assemblies twice. I would rather spend a little extra to have the right gear for my needs. That said, I also do not like to waste money on performance parts that I will not use, and would like to have a clutch "feel" that is a little less aggressive than a race set-up, but compliant and competent. The car will remain naturally aspirated, and aside from a few bolt-ons and tuning tricks, I do not anticipate ever putting down more than 275-300 pounds per foot of TQ at the wheels.

I am looking at the Exedy Clutch Kit (05438066) @ $1100.00, including flywheel, The ACT Clutch Kit (03289257)@ $550.00, (sans flywheel), and the Z1 clutch kit, referenced on this site, which is offered as a complete kit for about $600.00.
I suppose all would suit my needs, and I especially like the clarity provided on the Z1 kit, and emphasis placed upon the weight of the assembly and the reduced wear on the thrust bearing on the crankshaft, as well as the price for a complete assembly.
While I have read several reviews of clutches here, if anyone could shed some light on these three options, and whether one would be better for my anticipated uses, I'd be appreciative.
Thanks-
Old 12-29-2018, 03:15 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts

Cant go wrong with Z1 Motorsports, 600 bucks for the clutch, light flywheel and a free stainless steel clutch line.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...bo-p-2405.html
Old 12-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Dec Radius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly looks like the best option, price wise, and it has all the bits I would need. Thanks.
Do you know if there is any reason to get away from the stock dual mass set-up, other than weight savings? Are they more reliable? Stronger?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 5,986 Likes on 4,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dec Radius View Post
I recently purchased a very clean Rev-Up model G with 100K miles on the clock. Reportedly it had its throw-out bearing replaced @ 66K, but no clutch replacement was mentioned in the service records. Nevertheless, the clutch seemed tight and compliant until this evening, when the clutch began to show the beginning signs of needing replacement in the not-too-distant future.

I do not track the car, and likely never will, but I am a spirited driver who expects the car to handle hard use when called upon to do so. I am not a drag racer, but I shift frequently in the twisties, and need a dependable set-up. I turn my own wrenches, and do not like to tear down assemblies twice. I would rather spend a little extra to have the right gear for my needs. That said, I also do not like to waste money on performance parts that I will not use, and would like to have a clutch "feel" that is a little less aggressive than a race set-up, but compliant and competent. The car will remain naturally aspirated, and aside from a few bolt-ons and tuning tricks, I do not anticipate ever putting down more than 275-300 pounds per foot of TQ at the wheels.

I am looking at the Exedy Clutch Kit (05438066) @ $1100.00, including flywheel, The ACT Clutch Kit (03289257)@ $550.00, (sans flywheel), and the Z1 clutch kit, referenced on this site, which is offered as a complete kit for about $600.00.
I suppose all would suit my needs, and I especially like the clarity provided on the Z1 kit, and emphasis placed upon the weight of the assembly and the reduced wear on the thrust bearing on the crankshaft, as well as the price for a complete assembly.
While I have read several reviews of clutches here, if anyone could shed some light on these three options, and whether one would be better for my anticipated uses, I'd be appreciative.
Thanks-
Wrong section noob