Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Super Charger and TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 02:14 PM
BENSIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super Charger and TT

I was speaking to a fellow Z fan over the weekend, and he told me that putting in a TT into a car that didn't come with one to begin with would damage the engine. Any truth to this? He also made a comment that it would be safer to put the super charger in after driving it for a while. In regards to the Super Charger, he said that it wouldn't do as much damage to the engine, but would still effect it negatively in the long run.

With the amount of people putting in TT's into their Z's, I'm not sure if he was all to correct, but I figured I would ask anyway. Same goes for the Super Charger what's the deal with that, what if a Z has both of them ?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:44 PM
adrianko43

It just depends on how much boost you are going to run. You can run low boost without damaging your engine. If you want to run higher boost then you will have to get forged internals. Both superchargers and twin turbos can damage your engine if not done right. And if done right, both can be reliable in the long run. But there are more parts on the supercharger that need to be replaced overtime.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:28 PM
lovetoclown

I do not think that one will damage the engine more than the other. Both are forcing more air into the engine. The only difference is how they do it. But like adrianko43 said, both are fine as long as they are done right.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:47 PM
BENSIN

Awesome, just one more question though, do you mean both individually, as in one or the other? -- or both at the same time?

Or...does everything you guys said apply to one or the other and both?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BENSIN
Awesome, just one more question though, do you mean both individually, as in one or the other? -- or both at the same time?

WTF? English
Old 11-28-2004, 04:50 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What they are trying to say is that having a supercharger OR a turbocharger can damage your vehicle if you dont take necessary precautions. The stock internals on these cars arent made for any sort of forced induction because it is aluminum alloy for lightweight purposes, plus the compression is pretty high. So in fact if you boost more than the recommended amount you will detonate and crack a piston or rod. In other words, a supercharger or turbocharger are very reliable and they cant hurt your motor if you have correct boost pressure and maintain them correctly. I hope that answered your question.

Arin
Old 11-28-2004, 05:04 PM
BENSIN

LOL, sorry about the confusing reply earlier -

Arin, I did get that much, but what I want to know is what if I put in both a super charger AND a TT at once?

I appreciate it, thanks again all.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:08 PM
97supratt

LOL, sorry about the confusing reply earlier -

Arin, I did get that much, but what I want to know is what if I put in both a super charger AND a TT at once?

I appreciate it, thanks again all.
You dont need to... Why would you need both??? If you put aftermarket forged internals and lower the compression then you can boost much more with whatever system you use (supercharger or turbocharger) and increase power tremendously. But then again this is in the 10k plus range, because internals go around 2k, plus installation, plus the turbo or supercharger kit, + fuel injections, pump, management, and tuning. I hope that helped...

Arin
Old 11-28-2004, 05:31 PM
7 eleven

It sounds like you asking if you can install a Supercharger and a Twin turbo kit on the same car. Well, yes you can do it, it's called compound charging.

However it's not worth the effort on a street car. On a stock bottom end you can blow the bottom end apart with just one or the other. It's best place is mostly car shows.

Alamo did this with a MR2 and it worked well.But they invested alot more time and money into it then almost anyone who didn't own a shop would bother with.
Gary
Old 11-28-2004, 10:37 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 11-29-2004, 01:48 AM
aaaaa

what about BOV sound from supercharger?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:54 AM
TwinTurboPower

I don't see how a supercharger would be any more reliable then a turbo. N/A engines from factory can take 5-8psi safely, as long as theres enough fuel. Stock turbo cars are already built for forced induction so they can averagely force 8-12psi. 5-8 psi into the Z is safe but installing a turbo does take life from your engine, n/a last longer; less wear and tear.

Turbo is the way to go. Many debates over turbo or supercharger; turbo always comes on top overall.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
BENSIN

Okay, I'm a n00b, obviously, when it comes to things like this, in theory, say the money was not an issue, COULD both systems be installed on the same car, without risk to engine life?

Would I be correct in saying that a supercharger will give me the upper hand against an all wheel drive like the WRX for example, while the TT gives me the upper hand in the long run? In the end, creating a killer both from a stop and/or roll?

This stuff is pretty interesting to me and I'm damn new to it, so be easy if I ask something stupid.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
97supratt

Originally posted by TwinTurboPower
I don't see how a supercharger would be any more reliable then a turbo. N/A engines from factory can take 5-8psi safely, as long as theres enough fuel. Stock turbo cars are already built for forced induction so they can averagely force 8-12psi. 5-8 psi into the Z is safe but installing a turbo does take life from your engine, n/a last longer; less wear and tear.

Turbo is the way to go. Many debates over turbo or supercharger; turbo always comes on top overall.
Usually factory turbocharged vehicles come with fully forged or semi-forged internals and low compression which means with the right amount of fuel they can boost way more than 12psi. N/A vehicles usually have lightweight composite materials for pistons, and connecting rods for quicker throttle response. Plus the compression is also much higher than turbocharged applications. Now the comparison between turbo vs superchargers can go on forever, but to tell you the truth I have owned cars with turbo's, and I have owned cars with superchargers. The maintenance is the same for both, but it is a known fact that turbochargers create more power, plus they dont rob the engine of its power because it is driven by the exhaust energy and not the crankshaft. I think its a matter of opinion and which unit you prefer.

Arin
Old 11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
97supratt

Okay, I'm a n00b, obviously, when it comes to things like this, in theory, say the money was not an issue, COULD both systems be installed on the same car, without risk to engine life?

Would I be correct in saying that a supercharger will give me the upper hand against an all wheel drive like the WRX for example, while the TT gives me the upper hand in the long run? In the end, creating a killer both from a stop and/or roll?

This stuff is pretty interesting to me and I'm damn new to it, so be easy if I ask something stupid.
Well if money wasnt involved then I would say yes it is very easy to supercharge and turbocharge a vehicle. BUT, it has been proven that one or the other is more efficient and not both. If you do some research on how the units work, you will know why its not efficient. Also, turbo's arent meant for top end, I think what your referring to is "turbo lag" which comes with the bigger sized turbo's. That is one of the advantage of superchargers (no lag), but then again it is driven by your crankshaft energy which you also add weight to the rotating mass which in turn doesnt give you a lot of power. To cut a long story short, turbo+supercharger= could be done and it has been done, but isnt efficient. I hope that helps.

Arin
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
BENSIN

Originally posted by 97supratt
Well if money wasnt involved then I would say yes it is very easy to supercharge and turbocharge a vehicle. BUT, it has been proven that one or the other is more efficient and not both. If you do some research on how the units work, you will know why its not efficient. Also, turbo's arent meant for top end, I think what your referring to is "turbo lag" which comes with the bigger sized turbo's. That is one of the advantage of superchargers (no lag), but then again it is driven by your crankshaft energy which you also add weight to the rotating mass which in turn doesnt give you a lot of power. To cut a long story short, turbo+supercharger= could be done and it has been done, but isnt efficient. I hope that helps.

Arin
Yes, that helps big time. I'm actually going to go start doing some research, if you have any good sites on the topic, or on the two subjects of discussion, then I'd really appreciate the links and would love to check'em out. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:29 PM
97supratt

how a turbo works turbo vs supercharger
Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 PM
BENSIN

Originally posted by 97supratt
how a turbo works turbo vs supercharger
YES! KNOWLEDGE! Thanks!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:49 PM
barthelb
Master

My recommendation would be to ride/drive in a TT "Twin Turbo" 350z and a SC'd 350z outputting about the same power. I have done this and have driven both. I wanted a SCger at first but if I wanted to create more power it would have been more hastle and limited to where a turbo can create more power easier and almost indefinitely to what the turbo can do. I too thought of the "turbo lag". But the Z is built for lowend torque. I dynoed at 247 with basic mods. At 1800-2k my car produces 200+ ft lb torque. With that amount the Z doesn't really have a "turbo lag". I personally felt the TT was a faster car and acted stock unless you punch it. I'll stop now because this is something I too was comtiplating.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:17 PM
97supratt

Originally posted by barthelb
My recommendation would be to ride/drive in a TT "Twin Turbo" 350z and a SC'd 350z outputting about the same power. I have done this and have driven both. I wanted a SCger at first but if I wanted to create more power it would have been more hastle and limited to where a turbo can create more power easier and almost indefinitely to what the turbo can do. I too thought of the "turbo lag". But the Z is built for lowend torque. I dynoed at 247 with basic mods. At 1800-2k my car produces 200+ ft lb torque. With that amount the Z doesn't really have a "turbo lag". I personally felt the TT was a faster car and acted stock unless you punch it. I'll stop now because this is something I too was comtiplating.
Well the tt kits for 350z's have two small turbo's, we're not talking about gt30/30 kit for like a supra here with big a/r's. The turbo will almost always have more power than the supercharger because of a couple of factors. (1) The turbo kits come with intercoolers, (2) the turbo's create a lot more cfm of boost pressure compared to one supercharger, and (3) the turbo's are small so the lag is basically eliminated. But overall, for this application I would go with a twin turbo deal, but the hks supercharger is very nice as well because it comes with a fmic and oil cooler for the supercharger. Plus it doesnt have spline gears, its got rollers. Its really a matter of opinion though, but whatever the case, 350's do well with a supercharger or a turbocharger, so as long as your making power "life is good".

Arin