Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

All Arias piston buyers please READ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Yancy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, while you're there, can you find out what happened to the call tag I was supposed to get so I can have my pistons corrected? I emailed them on the 9th and had a quick response where they said they'd send a call tag, but I haven't received the tag in a week? Thanks GQ.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Yancy
Also, while you're there, can you find out what happened to the call tag I was supposed to get so I can have my pistons corrected? I emailed them on the 9th and had a quick response where they said they'd send a call tag, but I haven't received the tag in a week? Thanks GQ.
They mail the call tags out, which can take a week to arrive to you. At least that is my understanding of it.

I will ask for you when I get there...but also give Jason or Berry a call directly at Arias...they can help you faster.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
booger

I got my call tag by email . And I printed it out . I just got another email from them today saying there done and were shipped out ,UPS sent the email with the call tag
Old 12-18-2004, 07:18 PM
booger

I got the pistons back Friday . I took them to the shop and got a call a couple hours later from them . Arias forgot to in include the spiral locks , so I had to call them and they are shipping them out and will be here Monday . Just to let every one know to check the box and make sure your locks are included . SO your not surprised later on when your install begins.....Bill
Old 12-19-2004, 07:21 AM
ZRAYGO

I wonder if the pistons Arias was selling at JGTC were defective also?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
jak

Default WATCH OUT FOR BAD RING LANDS!

In addition to the incorrect skirts on these pistons there may be a quality control issue with out of round ring lands. One of the six pistons Arias sold me had a bad ring land and had to be sent back to Arias for repair.

Charles (phunk) had to spend a great amount of time with Arais on the phone before they would even be willing to do anything about it. At first Arias apparently wanted me to BUY another set of pistons and wait 4-6 weeks!

For a precision part maker I am not too impressed so far.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by booger
I got the pistons back Friday . I took them to the shop and got a call a couple hours later from them . Arias forgot to in include the spiral locks , so I had to call them and they are shipping them out and will be here Monday . Just to let every one know to check the box and make sure your locks are included . SO your not surprised later on when your install begins.....Bill

Thats strange...my locks were stapled to the box..and they were there when they returned the pistons.

Also, they really only needed the pistons..not the locks, wristpins, or rings..>FYI. So if others are still sending their pistons..just send the pistons alone....nothing else.

ZRAYGO, they had pistons on display at JGTC, but I dont think they were actually selling any compelete sets. They had about 40 different pistons on their table...just one of each.

When I spoke to them in person on Friday, every 350Z piston in their inventory had been corrected. They have two sets in stock right now 8.5:1 and 8.6:1 .020 overbore.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 12-20-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Default Re: WATCH OUT FOR BAD RING LANDS!

Originally posted by jak
In addition to the incorrect skirts on these pistons there may be a quality control issue with out of round ring lands. One of the six pistons Arias sold me had a bad ring land and had to be sent back to Arias for repair.

Charles (phunk) had to spend a great amount of time with Arais on the phone before they would even be willing to do anything about it. At first Arias apparently wanted me to BUY another set of pistons and wait 4-6 weeks!

For a precision part maker I am not too impressed so far.

Jeff
Jeff, i wanted to correct I couple of misconceptions here. It is sometimes way too easy to lay blame on someone. There are two sides to this story...bear with me.

1) The chances of an out-of round piston ring land are ziltch. The CNC machine spins the piston at 4000rpm and makes its cuts. Once the piston is done, it is checked to insure the piston is round, the ring lands are straight, and the dimensions are correct. A computer program cuts the piston,,,there is virtualliy no chance of error...but they check anyways.

2) Your 6 pistons were installed in the motor and they all fit correctly...the rings were seated...no issues. Due to the close clearances of the oil squirters, your machine shop did the correct thing in removing the pistons and cutting the skirts. But when they went to put the rings back in the ring lands, ONE ring didnt fit in ONE piston. This would lead me to believe that the ring land was damaged during the machining process. What else would explain that?

3) I spoke to Arias at length on your specific situation. Your shop and Jason talked for 10 mins (not a long period of time as you posted) on this topic, and it was a very cordial conversation. Your shop is sending back the piston, and Arias has agreed to fix the damage...regardless of who caused it....AND...ship it back at no cost.

To me, Arias has been nothing but stand up about all of these issues. I just dont want people to think the Arias is walking away or that they have poor quality control. I met with them personally on Friday, and they are very straightforward people. I've always found that when you work professionally with people, and are nice...you usually get a better, cheaper, and faster resolution to any issue that might develop. Arias has been in business for 35 years, and they have been under one family ownership the whole time...unlike most other piston companies.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 pistons were never installed in the motor nor did they have rings installed. The pistons were notched for oil squirters and balanced before they ever saw the block, this is because we already knew of this problem because of my Arias. Due to the stock bore selection of them there was no room for any boring at all because piston to wall clearance was already on the loose end of the spectrum.

The damage to the piston is not damage. There are no scuffs or dents or scratches, its simply a ring land that is not flat.

That all said, Arias said they would fix the problem if it was fixable... so I personally have no problem at all... thats about all we could ask for. However if its not fixable... then what?

I will just hope they can fix it, my machinist was almost positive they could.

-Charles
Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 PM
royce so

why bother fixing it, they should just replace the one bad piston.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
booger

I guess I should have mentioned , I had my pistons installed and had to have them removed to send back to Arias . So the spiral locks were already used and cant be used again
Old 12-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

why bother fixing it, they should just replace the one bad piston.
It takes 2 weeks or so to make a new one. Since 95% of the time, the piston is easily fixable, its faster and easier just to fix it...rather than replace it. And since Jak's engine is out, he needs the piston ASAP.

I guess I should have mentioned , I had my pistons installed and had to have them removed to send back to Arias . So the spiral locks were already used and cant be used again

Oh, that makes sense now.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
royce so

nope, it's easier to replace than repair a ring land that's not perfectly flat. you can't just remachine the land, you'll lose all your clearances. and it doesn't take 2 weeks to make one piston, you pop in the forging into the cnc machine and it's done in a matter of hours. if it disrupts normal production do it after hours. why fix a half-assed job w/ a half-assed solution?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
BONEHED

Royce,
What is the name of your piston company? You seem to know everythig about making pistons already, if your not already a piston manufacturer you should be, You will make millions of dollars just popping forgings into the CNC machine all day...What kind of CNC machine do you have that does 10 operations and makes a piston by itself? You should market that machine and sell it to the other manufacturers and make millions more. Don't make it sound so simple when you do not know what your talking about!! How do you know if the piston can be fixed or not? Have you seen the piston in question? How many pistons have you repaired? if the piston is damaged beyond repair then I'am 100% sure that it will be replaced. Arias has not been in bussiness for 36 years now making pistons that dont work.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
tig488

dont tell me you made a new screen name just to ask those questions...doh.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 PM
BONEHED

NO, i made 'A' screen name to ask those questions. Isn't that how these things work??
Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by royce so
nope, it's easier to replace than repair a ring land that's not perfectly flat. you can't just remachine the land, you'll lose all your clearances. and it doesn't take 2 weeks to make one piston, you pop in the forging into the cnc machine and it's done in a matter of hours. if it disrupts normal production do it after hours. why fix a half-assed job w/ a half-assed solution?
Royce..not sure where you came from...or why you are trying to disrupt this thread...I hope you arent a competitor trying to mess things up for Arias..or a shop trying to start trouble. There is no place for that crap on this board.

Of course the actual physical cutting of the piston on the CNC machine only takes a short time. But they have to stop the line, make this one piston, and then finish it by hand, and then quality check it.

Arias has repaired totally mangled pistons to brand new condition. They WILL NOT try to fix a piston that can't be fixed to 100% accuracy. That's the whole point of this. The piston is being sent back for inspection, and they will determine if it can be fixed or will need to be replaced.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:39 AM
royce so

Originally posted by BONEHED
You will make millions of dollars just popping forgings into the CNC machine all day...What kind of CNC machine do you have that does 10 operations and makes a piston by itself?
ummm, that's exactly what a cnc machine does.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM
royce so

Originally posted by gq_626
Of course the actual physical cutting of the piston on the CNC machine only takes a short time. But they have to stop the line, make this one piston, and then finish it by hand, and then quality check it.

Arias has repaired totally mangled pistons to brand new condition. They WILL NOT try to fix a piston that can't be fixed to 100% accuracy. That's the whole point of this. The piston is being sent back for inspection, and they will determine if it can be fixed or will need to be replaced.
hmmm, you're also the one that said it was absolutely impossible for him to have a ring land that's not perfectly flat. i didn't say they had to stop the line in the middle of the day did i? they can do it after hours or they can make a whole set and keep 5 pistons to replace any other defective ones that might come back, or they can make 7 pistons and stock the 6 on the shelf, they have plenty of options. and no you cannot repair "totally mangled pistons" to brand new condition as you've stated. in fact if you want we can bet on it. you pound on one of your pistons 50 times with a sledgehammer or to whatever point you feel that it's "totally mangled" and you return to arias to fix it. if they can fix it i'll pay you $1k, if they can't the you pay me a grand.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
BONEHED

Yeah, if your making block off plates for your egr valve. What CNC machine will drill the pin hole, cut the ring grooves. drill oil returns, drill pin oilers frm each side of piston. cut side reliefs, notch valve pockets, cut for locks in the pinhole, and then pinfit and deburr the pistons all by itself in one machine just by popping in a forging?????? think really hard, then let me know.

Quick Reply: All Arias piston buyers please READ!