Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS/Unichip Tuning Capabilities (Attn Peter!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 PM
cjb80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS/Unichip Tuning Capabilities (Attn Peter!)

I have recently purchased an APS turbo kit, and I am interested in the tuning capabilities of the Unichip system. Previously I have tuned a Supra with the Unichip however there were many flaws with it. I am hoping that these are cleared up so that I can trust the Unichip with my own car... Here is my list of questions:

1) Does the Unichip use the TPS sensor or MAP sensor to determine the current load of the engine - and therefore where in the fuel/timing maps the car is running?

2) Does the Unichip have any sort of O2 sensor and Knock sensor logging functionality? If not, how do you determine if you are running the timing too agressively? (Does the Unichip use the knock sensor signals at all???)

3) Is the Unichip just modifying the MAP sensor voltage to tweak the fuel delivery?

4) If the Unichip uses the MAP sensor, will the Unichip allow for MAP sensor swaps for a larger range of boost levels?

5) Can the Unichip drive the 6 additional injectors proposed in the new APS intake manifold design?

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-19-2004, 08:31 AM
cjb80

top please
Old 12-19-2004, 11:13 AM
etx

Default Re: APS/Unichip Tuning Capabilities (Attn Peter!)

Originally posted by cjb80

3) Is the Unichip just modifying the MAP sensor voltage to tweak the fuel delivery?

The stock ecu uses a MAF sensor. Hopefully it dosen't just scale the MAF like the e-manage. It works good, up to a point.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:57 AM
cjb80

Allrighty... so anyone got a solution for high boost for these cars yet, besides the HKS ecu?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 AM
etx

http://www.megasquirt.info

DIY, not for the faint of heart. I have one on my eclipse and I'll be installing one on my Z if I ever build the block up for more power.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 AM
azrael

I intend to go with an Electromotive TEC-3, when I eventually build up my car. The one major disappointment is that it cannot control VTC, so I'm wondering if I should wait a little longer and get a Motec M600 ($$$$$$). A lot of people are waiting for the AEM EMS, and I've seen your posts on the AEM forum, so I know you're aware of their proposed timeline.

Chris, you should keep in mind that any system that keeps the stock ECU in the loop (i.e. E-Manage, Unichip) will still have the stock ECU reading the stock MAF sensor, which will top out somewhere between 400 and 450 RWHP. I don't know if the Unichip setup clamps the MAF voltage below 5V, but if it doesn't, the stock ECU will barf when you top out the MAF.

Last edited by azrael; 12-20-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:36 AM
cjb80

I thought that phunk had his Z running with a map sensor and no MAF, with the HKS, which keeps the stock ECU??

Chris
Old 12-20-2004, 08:27 AM
azrael

I thought that phunk had his Z running with a map sensor and no MAF, with the HKS, which keeps the stock ECU??

Chris
In phunk's setup, the stock ECU isn't controlling the engine anymore.

With the E-Manage and Unichip, they piggyback the stock ECU and extend the fuel injector pulse to add more fuel, usually based on a MAP vs. RPM vs. TPS map. The stock ECU is still there, doing most of the work, and using the MAF to read airflow. The piggyback just adds fuel to the stock ECU's standard fuel injector pulse. Some of these units can also delay the ignition signal in order to retard the spark. Since the stock ECU is still reading the MAF, it will get maxed out at some level of airflow that seems to coincide with ~450 RWHP, 5000RPM, at WOT. There are ways around this, by clamping the MAP sensor voltage to 4.7 Volts with a zener diode, but this is a hack, and I wouldn't really recommend it.

With the HKS F CON V PRO, the TEC-3, the AEM EMS, or the Motec M600, the standalone ECU is controlling the engine completely, and the stock ECU is left just controlling ABS and heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC). In this case, you would leave the MAF connected but not installed in the intake piping, or maybe even remove it completely.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 AM
cjb80

I somehow got confused and thought you were saying that with the EMS you would need to have a MAF... So uhh, can you post in the EMS forum (when they fix the database error) and ask them to hurry up -- with me?

One of the reasons why I thought the stock ECU was retained was due to the fact that the stock ECU drives the console. If you do with the Motec system, will you still be able to use the stock console?? What other systems would be lost?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by cjb80; 12-20-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 AM
azrael

I somehow got confused and thought you were saying that with the EMS you would need to have a MAF... So uhh, can you post in the EMS forum (when they fix the database error) and ask them to hurry up -- with me?

One of the reasons why I thought the stock ECU was retained was due to the fact that the stock ECU drives the console. If you do with the Motec system, will you still be able to use the stock console?? What other systems would be lost?

Thanks

Chris
The stock ECU needs to be retained for the HVAC and gauges to work. I believe the stock ECU also controls some of the interior lighting, keyless entry, power windows, etc. To my knowledge, there will never be a way to keep the car in street-trim without the stock ECU controlling these functions.

Most of the standalone ECUs just control the engine, and leave the rest up to the user. In our case, we can just disconnect the stock ECU from the engine and let the standalone ECU take over. That is how the HKS F CON works, and AEM indicates that the EMS will work the same way.

The only reason I really like the Motec system is that they are the only people so far that have an ECU that is user-tunable and can control the VTC maps for variable cam timing. The huge downside is that it requires custom wiring, doesn't have a base map, and it comes with a much higher price tag (at least $4k). If AEM commits to having VTC support in the EMS, then that would definitely be the street ECU of choice.

Chris, shoot me a PM with an IM screenname or something,and we can discuss further, if you'd like. I don't have access at the office, but should be online at home.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 AM
dansouliere

What is taking AEM so damn long to release the standalone for the 350Z. Are they even working on one?

I wish Motec would provide a basemap and did not require custom wiring.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
azrael

Originally posted by dansouliere
What is taking AEM so damn long to release the standalone for the 350Z. Are they even working on one?

I wish Motec would provide a basemap and did not require custom wiring.
AEM is taking a long time because the EMS for the Z will basically be a completely different configuration than the other EMS setups. This is the first car they plan to support with drive-by-wire functionality. In addition, this is the first application that will require the stock ECU to remain in place to control HVAC and gauges. It makes sense that it would take longer to develop.

As far as the Motec not including a basemap.. a competent tuner can work around that, and it just makes sense to take your expensive car to a good tuner. If you were planning on doing all the tuning yourself, then that might make a difference. As for the wiring, I understand that. It's a HUGE pain in the butt to wire up a standalone ECU properly, but in the end, it's worth it.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
dansouliere

I will probably go with the Motec but first I gotta find a local shop that can install and tune one properly.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
dansouliere

What Motec model is best for the 350Z?

Bluefish uses the M880 but that unti is good for engines up to 8cylinders... It must have extra options the M600 don't have.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:31 PM
azrael

For a 350Z, you'd do fine with an M600, Drive-by-wire module, and the Cam control module. You could also optionally add a wideband O2 input module and datalogging.

The M880 has a few more options, but they won't really prove very useful on a street car. As a side note, the M880 is actually capable of controlling any piston engine up to 12 cylinders, as well as most rotary variants.