Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DSport Magazine VQ35/G35 Build-Up....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM
symalik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very clean job, awesome pics!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:53 AM
DSport G35

Originally Posted by symalik
very clean job, awesome pics!
Thanks sy.

Derek,
DSport
Old 03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
DSport G35

Finally getting this project started with Vortech. I'm dropping the car off at Vortech on Tuesday to see what we're going to be able to do. From the questions I asked on the phone it will most likely be a T-Trim with a upgraded impeller and drive setup. The T-Trim is capable of making 825hp but the problem is the pulley and belt setup which they will try and fabricate to hold 5-600hp+ on this car.

Derek,
DSport
Old 03-03-2006, 11:55 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear they have gotten started . They have my blower for the second time in a month . So things have been delayed with getting it tuned .
Cant wait to see what they have come up with . Did they give you a time line ?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
DSport G35

Originally Posted by booger
Good to hear they have gotten started . They have my blower for the second time in a month . So things have been delayed with getting it tuned .
Cant wait to see what they have come up with . Did they give you a time line ?
Yeah, seriously. Maybe I'll snoop around for you supercharger and tell them to put a move on it.

They didn't give me a timeline but I will ask them when I get there. We're trying to have the fuel system done and tuned by April 8th for our IDRC Season Opener at Palmdale Raceway.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
booger

They should have gotten it today . It whined real bad after about 40 miles after the motor went back in , sent it back in and they replaced bearings and seals . We put it back in and same thing , 20 or 30 miles and it started to sound like a huge race twin screw blower again . I called Jamie and let him listen to it over the phone . SO maybe they will take a better look at it this time . If you go by there , tell them to hurry up on Bill Jackson's blower . And to look further than bearings and seals...lol
Thanks for the update ....Bill

Last edited by booger; 03-03-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:19 PM
DSport G35

Dropped the car off yesterday at Vortech Finally! From what I've heard they will most likely be using a T-Trim or Ysi-Trim Supercharger with custom 2.75" piping and drive system. We will also be going with an XS-Engineering GTR Core Intercooler with 2.75" inlets. When I hear back from them on the plan/progress I'll let you guys know.

Thanks,
Derek
-DSport
Old 03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
booger

Looking forward to see what they come up with for the drive system .

Did you tell them to hurry up on my blower ? lol
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
DSport G35

Originally Posted by booger
Looking forward to see what they come up with for the drive system .

Did you tell them to hurry up on my blower ? lol
Ummm...i forgot, but i'm sure they're working on it(hopefully).
Old 03-08-2006, 12:31 PM
booger

I really didnt expect you to remember . Im going to call them in a minute any way
Old 03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
zachcrosen

subscribing...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
trefling

The T-Trim is capable of making 825hp
When I first started researching supercharger I was most interested in procharger/vortecs stats page where they would list max boos & CFM's listings. The only thing that is kinds dishonest about whole sales pitch is that they lead you do believe you can get 500-600 out of a built engine. After all that's what it says in the procharger brochure, I'm sure Vortec does the same. But in the real world none, neither, have produced a supercharged Z/35 with 500 to the wheels. The size of the blowers (so far) have not supported the CFM's needed to get big hp like turbo's will give you. Turbo's are unrestricted and can spin faster. But hey supercharger are cool too.

I also have to say that DSport and Modified by far the best tuning mags in print. Mike, Derik and the team have done an amazing job with the content, keep the hot asian theme, I like it.

Both Vortec and Procharger rate their blowers saying they will make 500-600 hp but their only basically guessing because neither has done it, yet. But once you strap it in, run it through intercoolers, piping...ect everything now becomes different. The procharger brochure says quote "C2 blower will support 600-700 hp respectivly" What kind of crazy hp figures are they talking about? It's really BS marketing because they front like it will support crazy hp gains with high boost. But I've got the biggest pulleys (high boost) that are made or available and with my low compression pistons I'm seeing only a max of 14 psi between 4500-7000rpm.

It's really nice to see DSport do something mainstream because now maybe ATI or Vortec might actually design a high boost kit, built for built motors. All that would need to be done is have the blower itself a little larger so the CFM's would greatly improve and keep psi the same but with much more power.

The biggest disadvantage of a high boost blown car versus a turbo is that the high boost superchargerd Z/35 will be really jerky when you drive. With high boost pulleys you get lots of momentun/spinning weight running with you engine. You can really start to feel the parsitic drag when you spin fast/high boost because it's quite a bit of strain on the engine.. That's what they mean when they say that big supercharger are not streetable. It's not really that they have crazy power but more that it's so damn jerky that it get very difficult. I've been in high boost drag mustangs and it's the same thing times 10

This will be great competition for Vortec and Procharger. My Z will be with Sharif on April 6th next month and here is what has been done so far by SGP, Sharif will do fine tuning with the UTEC and I'll be dumping my Emanage Ultimate

CP pistons 8.5.1
Stock heads/stock cams
Pauter rods ARP rods/bolts
UTEC (soon to be tuned by Sharif)
AAM return fuel system/Walbro 255
RC 750CC injectos
Skunk 2 composite plenum spacer
JWT flywheel/300ZTT clutch
Borla headers/helix test pipes/Apexi exaust (pretty loud) No emissions laws in Kansas! Yee haww

ATI Procharger, modified cold air larger air intake:
44 tooth drive cog pulley pushing 14-15 psi in most of the upper rpm band. I'm suspecting maybe my blower is restrictive because boost peaks at 5000rpm and does not increase to redline like it should

Maybe DSport will feature my 350Z if ATI procharger can hang with the high tech Vortec on the Dyno, I'll have dyno results to post April 6 tuned by Sharif. Actually that would make a great write up story for Dsport......Procharger Vs. Vortec!!!! Of course I'm representing Procharger ! There has been talk for years as to who makes more power, Arpil 6 will be a great time to find out if Dports got their dyno's by then.

Last edited by trefling; 03-17-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:48 PM
booger

The thing about how they rate the blower . I think its with out an IC and piped directly to the manifold . And they dont say on what type of motor either
Old 03-17-2006, 09:11 PM
trefling

Booger I swear man your a genious! I have no data what so ever to back up my outlandish claim but I'm willing to bet with a cold air intake on a supercharger plumbing straight into the manifold the inlet temps would still be somewhat close to what turbo temps would be. That being the case with a little race gas and a great tune no ic may be the ticket to really big supercharger gains. Even in the summer the intake to the intercooler from the blower never get really hot like it does on a turbo car.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
booger

The turbo's intake temps.....I dont believe are any higher than a SC car . Some SC cars do pipe it directly from the SC to the plenum or manifold . You just cant run to much boost [ 5-6psi ] intake temps get to high after that because when you compress air it gets hotter ...the more preasure...the hotter it gets . Now you could cool the intake with water & meth injection . A guy I know was thinking of actually going to try to TT his G35 and not use a IC and use water & meth to cool it...But he ended up selling the car .

Last edited by booger; 03-17-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:36 PM
trefling

I dont believe are any higher than a SC car
Boogs your the man but this simply aint true.

My FD's turbo outlet pipe that leads into the intercooler get too hot to touch, very hot/burning to touch and the exit port of the intercooler is just warm during 70-80 deg weather. But on my Z the intake temp/tube is pretty warm but never burning hot and the outlet pipe of the intercooler was very cool to the touch where as my turbo was pretty warm. I remember comparing them last summer noticing how much of a difference there was. There is no doubt in my mind out intake temps running into the intercooler are far less than the same for the turbo

Last edited by trefling; 03-17-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 PM
trefling

A guy I know was thinking of actually going to try to TT his G35 and not use a IC and use water & meth to cool it...
Sharif, chime in here man...could you do something like this on my setup? I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for it
Old 03-18-2006, 03:37 AM
booger

Inlet air on a turbo must pick up more heat than I thought .
The guy that was thinking of doing the W&M injection on a turbo , knows his stuff , and has his own Turbo parts company . So I would think he thought it would work
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by trefling
Sharif, chime in here man...could you do something like this on my setup? I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for it

We've measured air inlet temps on the dyno, and the TT kits run the coolest inlet temps, generally just a few degrees above ambient. The SC's and Single T's run the hottest inlet temps...between 15-45 degrees above ambient, depending on load.

Trefling, how about a simple meth kit?

Also, can you shoot me an email....need to ask you something about your UTEC setup, and your current setup. sharif@forgedinternals.com
Old 03-18-2006, 06:25 PM
trefling

Boogs your the man but this simply aint true
The SC's and Single T's run the hottest inlet temps...between 15-45 degrees above ambient, depending on load.
Sorry boogs, I stand corrected

Sharif...I've got a duel stage water mist kit on the way. The procharger is now flowing straight to the throttle body, we bypassed the intercooler and will use water/meth injection to deal with inlet temps. I'm very interested to see how a high boost vortec and/or procharger will perform with no intercooler restriction and meth injection

Quick Reply: DSport Magazine VQ35/G35 Build-Up....