Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Z1 Motorsports problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Spee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
You guys might have a fine reputation in the 300zx world, but you have a long way to go here in the 350z world. A pretty shop, and lots of service bays doesnt cut it..in my book. You need to stop acting like a lawyer, and start acting like a 350Z enthusiast...like the other reputable shops on this board.
LOL, don't let Z1 fool you into thinking they have a"fine reputation" in the Z32 community. They have FUBAR'd their fair share of Z32s as well. And they always try to put the blame on anyone but themselves. This is CLASSIC Z1 protocol. I would not take my Z to them for so much as an oil change, much less a full motor build. They are after your money and WILL cut corners to maximize their profit from it.

If you're ever bored, check out Twinturbo.NET and look up some Z1 posts. Good reading
Old 02-04-2005, 02:51 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God.. I wish i knew that... ok, no more off-topic posts from me... i promise Sharif...

Last edited by GurgenPB; 02-04-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:29 PM
430ztt

a bit off topic but that is kinda the mood of the thread

I know there is Z1 in Atlanta, is there another Z1 in New York? Are they the same shop or just have the same name? Could you post me the websites for the different shops, unless they are the same shop?
Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by 430ztt
a bit off topic but that is kinda the mood of the thread

I know there is Z1 in Atlanta, is there another Z1 in New York? Are they the same shop or just have the same name? Could you post me the websites for the different shops, unless they are the same shop?
Thanks,
Nick
Z1 Auto/Performance is in New York. http://www.z1auto.com/

Z1 Motorsports is in Carrollton, GA. http://www.300zx.com/
Old 02-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

OK yeah, for clarification, the Z1 in GA is the shop we are refering to.

Not to be confused with Z1 in NY. Adam runs that operation up there, and I have heard and experienced nothing but good things from him.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Bini2

I mean common....how long have you had Bini2's car???? He blew it up in Sept..and now it is Feb. At least FIVE MONTHS to rebulid a motor?
Don't get me involved with your childish rhetoric. Why my car is not finished is only speculation on your part, GQ. Not only that, it is neither your concern, nor do I wish for it to be your concern; focus your energies on your own car.

Related to the thread, good luck on the engine build, I am sure you'll have a monster when you’re done. I have an NX-Ntercooler. I know you were thinking about getting one/have one. All I have to say is that it is worth the investment.

Hope to see you and your car at ZDayz, GQ.

Last edited by Bini2; 02-05-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:03 AM
BrianLG35C

Wow! This is ironic, I was actually going to vist Z1 this coming Friday. My wife has a trade show in Atlanta, we're flying down together from Ohio and while she was at the show I was going to check out their shop for possible FI install and maybe internals too.

I'm so glad I kept up with this thread. I'm willing to take my car pretty far for the right tuner. Looks like Tuan & Charles continue to be "the choice" in my area of the country.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Lorca@Z1

1) Damaged and repaired block..not disclosed to him
2) Nicks and and holes on the pistons
3) Faulty balancing
4) Noisy slappy motor
5) Balancing the pistons improperly.

1) Gurgen recieved a significant discount on the price of the motor, so the fact that a completely cosmetic repair was done didnt seem to be that big of a deal and it had nothing to do with the problems he had

2) These are the first pictures we have ever seen of the marks on the pistons. Gurgen previously described them as "minor scuffs"

3) this is the first time balancing has ever come up, Gurgen never said a word about it so it was never an issue that we were aware of or had a chance to consider or remedy

4) " " when we spoke to Technosquare they said the motor sounded great until it warmed up and then the noise was from the piston contacting the oil squirters

5) the machinist feels that there is plenty of material remaining and he does not remove material at the edges because that is where a piston tends to fail

There you go, happy now or do you want to call me a liar again because I do save my email messages and you "wish you had saved yours". You challeneged me, I met your challenge and your response is pathetic.

Its interesting how you completely disregrad posts by royce and phunk that completely back up everything we have said to Gurgen regarding the oil squirter issue.

Additionally, you continue to misrepresent the issue with Carrillo which went back on its own statements regarding the A-beams, as some conspiracy by Z1 to get rich by selling people rods that we know to be bad. FYI, before we spoke to Carrillo at SEMA we had never sold a Carrillo rod, so we were entirely dependant on their statements, which at the time were not in print.

We don't only sell Carrillo and Wiseco, we were working with ARIAS to develop a custom piston. You on the other hand come on this board and act like you are doing everyone a big favor by setting up these group buys, when in all actuallity you are using these group buys to become a dealer for all of these manufacturers. Thats fine, go ahead and do it but at least be straight with people about your interest being more than just as an enthusiest.

And for your reading enjoyment, why don't you read this warranty for a good idea of the industry standard warranty when building motors that were never meant to do what they are being asked.

SGP
Old 02-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Lorca, I tired to steer the thread back on topic. I am sure Gurgen wills start another seperate new thread to talk about this further.

Am not commenting anymore on this.

Regarding the earlier question on moly coating. I was thinking about doing it, but decided against it becuase even the stock piston moly coat was pretty much worn down completely on the center of the skirt...after just 17000 miles. I'll try to take a picture of the stock pistons we removed and show you what I mean.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
g356gear

These are pretty standard disclaimers for any performance built motor. We all should remember that these motors are built to make big power....the smallest problem could lead to a failure....especially with the abuse it will see. I would not give warranty either

FROM SGP

High Performance Engine Warranties: & (JDM used Engines ) None is given and none is implied. Unit when installed properly, will startup and run without problems. If mechanical problems are found the below action will be taken. All Engine Packages will be supplied with compression-tested numbers.

1. Sold “as is”, in running condition, upon delivery. 2. With NO warranty expressed or implied. 3. SGP Racing is not responsible for any mechanical issues that may arise during use of the driveline components. 4. SGP Racing is not responsible for any electrical issues that may arise due to improper installation. 5. NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGE 6. ALL SALES ARE FINAL (unless you can show extenuating circumstances as to why you need a refund you are entering into a binding legal contract with us, as such we hold this right. Any refunds we issue will be accompanied with a 15% restocking fee at your cost. Purchases over 45 days old "WILL NOT" be refunded you MUST accept the product ordered or Forfeit your right to it!

Last edited by g356gear; 02-05-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:47 PM
AshsZ

Thumbs down I can't believe they used that block!

Gurgen,

That block came from a wrecked 350 that was the first 350Z parts car purchase at Z1. I recognize it because the alternator ear is broken off of it. The engine was disassembled by myself and Reuben of Z1 a loooong time ago and the parts of that engine were shoved in the back of their old location and got banged around with a bunch of other intermixed Z32 stuff.

I'm shocked to see that they actually used those engine parts for any build; I would have only seen them fit for display purposes. The components were not treated as items that were going to be used someday - they were, as far as I am concerned, simply parts to see how the engine is built and were not suitable for use with any engine build. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You can email me if you would like to know more. I used to work for Z1 as their developer/tuner/QC department and I left back in august of last year due to restructuring of the business (Lorca, Russell's in-house attorney, and Russell himself, their attitudes and business practices, had a lot to do with my leaving). Feel free to email me - agpowers@bellsouth.net

Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

OMG.... no freaking surprise!!! Thanks very much for the info...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Enron Exec

Im sorry to hear about the mistreatment you've come across gurgen. This shouldnt happen to anyone and I wish you all the luck with the current motor! More power to you!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

good... this info finally got it's own thread... enough hijacking sharif's thread...
Old 02-15-2005, 05:05 AM
mojo powered

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
good... this info finally got it's own thread... enough hijacking sharif's thread...
any updates on this?

Do we have a way to rate the shops that sponsor these forums? If not, I think it'd be great if we did.

That's really unfortunate and disrespectful Gurgen, I'm very sorry you had to experience that... is legal action in question at this point or is there another way to remedy this problem?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:28 AM
thrifiddytt

Retain as much prior history as you can, relative. this is too bad, sounds like extreme customer dissatisfaction.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

There is a vendor feedback section on this forum. You can grade and comment on all the vendors in that section. But this was important enough IMHO, to warrant it's own thread.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

But this was important enough IMHO, to warrant it's own thread.
Agreed, and your thread needed to get this out of it.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:49 AM
spazpilot

Before I read this thread I was going to have a local machine shop do the work on the block for me, but after reading this thread I will be making a 200 mile trip to SGP to be on the safe side. I know they do good work!! gurgenpb01, I am really sorry about your misfortune, hope it goes better with your new build.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally posted by spazpilot
Before I read this thread I was going to have a local machine shop do the work on the block for me, but after reading this thread I will be making a 200 mile trip to SGP to be on the safe side. I know they do good work!! gurgenpb01, I am really sorry about your misfortune, hope it goes better with your new build.
Thanks bro... I have always been public with everything that i did with the car... and this is no different.. They ca't get away with stuff like this, ANY shop! Man... do I wish that Kyle could find me an block that time... we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Quick Reply: Z1 Motorsports problems