Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Looking for FI help... trying to compile a list.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005 | 05:35 PM
neo

Default Looking for FI help... trying to compile a list.

First let me state I'm not an engine guy... but I'm looking to create a 600-700+hp monster. I've complied a list of parts and things that would need done to get there. With knowledgable members help, this could be a good reference for others seeking the same.

List of parts:
[list=2][*]Twin Turbo

Greddy or APS? Which one fits the best for this HP and which one gives more room to grow?

[*]Engine internal build up

Forged Piston Set:
---- 8.5:1, 8.6:1, 11.5:1, etc... which one for this application + more longterm.
Forged Rod Set:
----- Which ones are best for this, again maybe more hp long term
Heads and Studs:
----- Any specifics? Again maybe more hp later
Bored core:
----- What specs for this application, more hp later?
[*]Fuel System Upgrades:

Return Fuel System:
----- AAM Fuel return system, can anyone recommend better?
Injectors:
----- RC Engineering 550cc injectors, these only goto 550hp. What else is there?
Fuel Pump:
----- Walbro 255lph Intank Fuel Pump, good for 650-700hp, what about later if I want more. Better parts now?
[*]System Management:

Boost Controller:
----- Greddy E-01 and programmer, what about the APS system?
Ignition Timing:
----- Emanage ingition timing harness for Greedy, what about APS?
Emanage unit:
----- Greedy Emanage baisc unit, does APS have a solution?
[*]Internal Misc parts:

Clutch upgrade:
----- 1100kg pressure plate, 700ft load, is there a better option?
Transmission:
----- I've not seen alot of discussion over transmission upgrades, what should be done here?
Flywheel:
----- Not a clue here... isn't that contained in the clutch upgrade?
[*]Shop a.k.a someone to make it all work
----- Looking for recommendations of where to get this done at without feeling like I've been worked over.

If I'm missing obivous things, please let me know.
Thanks ahead of time for any and all responses!

[/list=2]
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:45 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Default Re: Looking for FI help... trying to compile a list.

Originally posted by neo
First let me state I'm not an engine guy... but I'm looking to create a 600-700+hp monster. I've complied a list of parts and things that would need done to get there. With knowledgable members help, this could be a good reference for others seeking the same.

List of parts:
[list=2][*]Twin Turbo

Greddy or APS? Which one fits the best for this HP and which one gives more room to grow?

Both kits are capable of some pretty impressive #'s...I ihave the greddy kit, I will have my car back in a few weeks/dynoed, and I'll announce how much power we make. If I could do it all over agian, I'd prolly go with the APS kit (better intercooler design, ball-bearing turbos, huge-a$$ APS oil pan, fuel system upgrade, etc.--Although, I know nothing about the unichip thingy, the plus to the greddy kit is the e-manage- I imagine it is easier to tune with.?

Forged Piston Set:
---- 8.5:1, 8.6:1, 11.5:1, etc... which one for this application + more longterm.
Forged Rod Set:
Heads and Studs:
Bored core:

I went with 9:1 CR, no one knows for sure about the longterm because this is so new! but the major reason for the lower CR with forced induction is to prevent detonation from happening with as much ease (more susceptible in a higher CR) by lowering the static compression ratio of the cylinder.

as far as rods: I went with Pauter..they seem to be the best bang for the buck...the important thing is get H-beam rods-these are stronger than A-beam rods

studs: ARP main and head studs
headwork- I opted not to, the vq35 heads are pretty damn good from the factory, mild gains can be accomplished with some pricey headwork, may be for you if you are looking to increase the reving capabilities of the motor (reving above 7000rpm or so)

bored core:
with arias pistons, or any forged pistons for that matter, depending on the wear of the block, it is a good idea to get a slight overbore so that the cylinders are fresh and clean ready to go-that each piston is fit to each cylinder exactly... if you are planning on hitting above 600/700rwhp, prolly good bet to get the block sleaved-darton sleaves maybe? i don't really know much about the sleaving process.

[*]Fuel System Upgrades:

Return Fuel System:
Injectors:
----- RC Engineering 550cc injectors, these only goto 550hp. What else is there?
Fuel Pump:
----- Walbro 255lph Intank Fuel Pump, good for 650-700hp, what about later if I want more. Better parts now?

AAM is what everyone (including myself) is going with, they have an upgrade recently added to their kit which fixes the issue of not being able to pump adequet fuel on a 1/4 tank

Injectors: you can get rc's in 650cc and above, the larger the injector, the greater this will affect startup, idel, and driveability under light conditions...that's why i went with 550's, i figure with the aam fuel system, the higher fuel pressure will help get 550-600rwhp out of these injectors

FP: walbro 255 supposed to be able to handle 700 hp (#'s i've heard here on the boards, not sure if flywheel figures or wheel hp figures=someone else can field this better.

[*]System Management:

Boost Controller:
Ignition Timing:
Emanage unit:

e-01 for sure, if you are gonna get real crazy, lose the piggyback and go standalone-like the f-con- (phunk is the expert on this)

aps: i believe you need to reprogram the unichip or reflash the ecu to pull timing-again, someone else field this question better

[*]Internal Misc parts:

Clutch upgrade:
Transmission:
----- I've not seen alot of discussion over transmission upgrades, what should be done here?
Flywheel:
----- Looking for recommendations of where to get this done at without feeling like I've been worked over.

again, i'm shooting for 550-600rwhp- i went with the ats 1100kg..they have a good description on sgp website (i think) that talks about what grades/weights for what intended power levels

tranny: i'm hoping for no probs-should hold 550-600 no prob--again, someone else chime in about the claimed power this tranny can handle

flywheel-lightened-get it with the ats clutch (clutch/flywheel combo)

Shops to recommend--a few have been talked about on the boards- i have no personal experience with any of them-ask me in a month how i liked my shop-they are building going deep's engine and then mine--so they will have 2 under their belts by next week!

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

[/list=2]
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Default Re: Looking for FI help... trying to compile a list.

Originally posted by neo

List of parts:
[list=2][*]Twin Turbo

Forged Piston Set:
Forged Rod Set:
Heads and Studs:
Bored core:
[*]Fuel System Upgrades:

Return Fuel System:
Injectors:
Fuel Pump:
[*]System Management:

Boost Controller:
Ignition Timing:
Emanage unit:
[*]Internal Misc parts:

Clutch upgrade:
Transmission:
Flywheel:

[/list=2]
Which one would you prefer? That's what you need to ask yourself. The APS is going to be hands down cheaper to make your power (all you have to do is get a plenum from them and you have a system capable of 900hp). The GReddy and APS you have a chance of getting a larger turbocharger, although I don't think you'll need it. I'd go with APS.

Sharif suggests 8.6:1 with a .020 overbore if he could do it over again, I was going to go with 8.5:1 but 8.6:1 sounds fine.

Pauter, Crower, or Carillo H-Beams, all others aren't strong enough IMO.

ARP, I believe they are the only head and main studs makers for the 350Z right now.

Boring the sleeve? Get 8.6:1 and bore it .020 over.

I would recommend CJ-Motorsports twin-pump fuel system, I don't think the AAM is going to last over 650rwhp. Just my opinion.

HKS/CJ-M 1000cc injectors, you'd have to run a different engine management to control them properly.

The fuel pump is included in the AAM system and CJ-M systems.

You'd have to get a boost controller for the APS.

I think APS has an ignition timing harness on it.

I wouldn't suggest using a piggyback for high HP, that's just my opinion. You're going to want more control and IMO a piggyback won't suffice. I'd suggest the HKS F-Con V-Pro. APS uses the Unichip piggyback. Although I stated I wouldn't use a piggyback, Peter thinks the Unichip will be fine for their kit (buying their plenum which uses the stock injectors and you tune those and can support 900hp)...which you could do the same with the HKS F-Con V-Pro (just buy an injector controller).

Yeah, 1350kG is what i'm going with (ATS), with a carbon coating on the flywheel.

You need a new half-axle shaft, Driveshaft Shop sells them.

CJ-Motorsports, SGP Racing, or Altered Atmosphere.