Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS, where's the post-Easter Single turbo system update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 PM
kosmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, will APS have an option of a high flow cat? If so, where would it go? Built into the big main exhaust tube?

Thanks

Originally Posted by APS
I'm sure the guys at SGP will be able to produce a simple Y connector pipe for you, really it's a very basic part to produce and the TD sounds really cool on the Z car, a lot like a 911 Porsche.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by kosmic; 04-05-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by APS
Don't panic, the Y piece connection pipe is no big deal to have made, it's not practical for APS to develop and supply this Y connection part without having every brand of TD exhaust on hand in Oz.

On a more positive note APS will release a TD 2.5'' exhaust system with the Y connector to suit the APS single turbo system in the near future (I know this won't help you now though it will make life a little easier for the guys who want to run a highly developed TD 2.5 '' exhaust in the future) which will easily handle very high Horsepower.

Thanks

Peter
I'll probably just sell my exhaust though I've only had it 3 days, and get yours (will it be cheaper than the regular dual you sell since the y is less piping?) or some upgraded single 3" y - pipe back exhaust . :P

What about a cat? Will you be offering a cat that fits somewhere in this
layout? EDIT: Sorry, see this cat question was asked above.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-05-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:46 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by bwzabodyn
I would like to see a layout of everything that's going to come with the kit... because by the looks of it, I don't see what's worth $5,500 (now $4,500 sounds better) - only one turbo, no manifolds, and to top it off my Injen SES would have to be modified to work with this... Price is going to be a big factor between going with this and the TT kit (but it's still APS either way )
Just a couple of points to keep in mind.

The APS single turbo system has virtually all of the same parts as the APS TT system other than one turbo charger and 2 exhaust manifolds.

The APS single turbo system also has a very large 3.5 '' down pipe/intermediate exhaust pipes that are not supplied in twin turbo system, obviously these high quality polished stainless steel TIG welded exhaust parts are expensive to produce and add additional cost to the single turbo system.

In addition the APS single system turbo has a very large GT series dual ball bearing water cooled turbocharger, this particular GT series turbocharger is very near the cost (75% of the cost, not half the cost as some may expect) of the two smaller GT series turbochargers supplied in the APS twin turbo system.

You have to be prepared to pay for the worlds best dual ball bearing turbo charger technology, the cost is higher though so is the performance and turbo charger durability compared to any other turbocharger.

I guess if APS was to utilise a cheaper sleeve bearing turbo and remove many of the high quality components from the APS single turbo system then the cost for the APS single turbo would be at least $1500 less at MSRP.

At this lower quality and engineering level I very much doubt that APS would bother with the single turbo project. APS is far more engineering driven and our customers expect a 100% total FI solution, of course you pay a little more though you get thorough engineering combined with precision high quality components, a very complete FI system.

Peter
Old 04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
zman1910

Thanks for the clarification Peter, When is this single exhaust gonna be released and any idea on pricing?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:00 PM
xxlbeerZ

While taking a dump I came up with a plan. Since I want to install this in one weekend, I will bolt on the stock exhaust to the taper and take all measurements and THEN make the silly little y-pipe at my convenience. THEN I will put the invidia rear section back on. Not too big of a deal!

Now, please look at this pic. I believe I will lose those two little pre-mufflers because of where the pipes break right? If this is the case I'll sell it and buy your y and exhaust or leave the stocker on there.

Also, will APS be selling that big 4 bolt flange seperately so I only have to make the two little oval ones? This would make it a tiny bit easier! (I can get someone to make me the pipes and flanges at work, just have to send it out for robotic welding).

At this lower quality and engineering level I very much doubt that APS would bother with the single turbo project
BTW, if the group buy price doesn't start with a 4 or 5, I don't think you should bother with the single turbo project. If I had $6k+ to spend, I'd just buy a TT kit. I could get a hopped up Turbonetics or a complete Greddy kit for $5600, hell, for $5600 I can get a SC kit installed with gauges. This kit looks nice, but why spend an extra grand or two to build boost a few hundred RPM sooner and get a few extras that can be bought seperately to get ~400hp on a stock motor? The only way ST makes sense is if it's cost effective, and you seem to be hinting it won't be!
Attached Thumbnails APS, where's the post-Easter Single turbo system update?-new-2.jpg  

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-05-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=xxlbeerZ]While taking a dump I came up with a plan.QUOTE]

^^isn't this where all of the great ideas come from?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
zman1910

Peter has consistently said the price would be 5700, so I would expect a GB price well below that...closer to 5. I hope he did not mean it would exceed 6k, bc that would just be a complete waste of time and money on both our behalf...
Old 04-05-2005, 06:23 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Turbonetics is 4500 right??? a return fuel kit cost about 1000 from what ive seen.....an oil pan 400 from APS and CAS wire 80.... so your looking about 6000 buying these things seperate to make a Turbonetics kit equal the amount of things included in the APS kit (if you feel the need to be safer)....
APS is not about being the cheapest rather about being the most complete and thoroughly engineered single turbo system available, I'm sure if you look at the products side by side and then make a real comparison you will see that the APS system is exceptional value for money.

The twin kit cost 7500 so minus one turbo and manifolds 6000 seems right about what I would expect..... if a group buy listed a price of 5500 or less I would buy one..... I still wish the APS kit would be cheaper but i for one dont expect much less than 6000.....IMO
The MSRP for the APS single will be around $5890 though I think you guys will be very happy with the special one off GB that GRD will offer in the near future.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by phile
You're prolly right. And although APS is knows their costs, and is seasoned enough to know what price to charge, there's no reason to give them reasons to charge more. so SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I can assure you if we could build a very complete highly engineered turbo system using the latest technology for a lesser price we would do it in a heart beat.

Seems like import car mods are so expensive.
I'm not sure that correct, the more complete the system is the more cost involved.

I'd love to start a business and undercut everyone. Hey, who knows, maybe I will.
Give it a go I say, all you need is a couple of million dollars and about 20 really experienced staff, though you might find it more difficult to turn a profit than you think now.

Peter
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by APS
The MSRP for the APS single will be around $5890 though I think you guys will be very happy with the special one off GB that GRD will offer in the near future.
Now you're talkin'!!

Ok, now that it's established that the cap on this thing will be $5890, I think this kit is going to rock!

Though I still of course hope this GB gets big enough to take it under $5k.

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 04-05-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by APS
Great to hear Peter, looking forward to the GB; I'm in
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 PM
redline350ZZ

Just looked at my exhaust also and I dont think that I will be able to modify it without changing the configuration of the HUGE downpipe APS will provide or loosing the 2 barrels....That really sucks and I like the sound of my INJEN.... I need to figure out another solution....
Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
xxlbeerZ

Just looked at my exhaust also and I dont think that I will be able to modify it without changing the configuration of the HUGE downpipe APS will provide or loosing the 2 barrels....That really sucks and I like the sound of my INJEN.... I need to figure out another solution....
I think those pre mufflers just control sound. With a turbo, your exhaust will be MUCH more quiet, so I hope it'll balance out. Unless I'm wrong and those are more than resonators.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:34 PM
redline350ZZ

If they can be cut off and not change the tone too much im all for it...

So car will be more quiet with Turbo and those resonators cut off????? I think im gonna call Injen 2 morrow
Old 04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
xxlbeerZ

If they can be cut off and not change the tone too much im all for it...

So car will be more quiet with Turbo and those resonators cut off????? I think im gonna call Injen 2 morrow

I don't think you need to cut it, just make the custom Y go up to the flanges that are already there.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
redline350ZZ

The resonators of Injens TRUE DUAL exhaust system start about where APS has there conversion from Downpipe to stock exhaust piping.... u know that 3.5" tapered coupling..... I think you would have to bend the massive down pipe to a more extreme angle and I would assume by doing that performace would be sacrificed...... and thats if it would even fit which it proabably wont..... cutting the resonators off is an option but I dont know what it would sound like after doing this......Maybe the resonators can be relocated....

APS????????
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Now you're talkin'!!

Ok, now that it's established that the cap on this thing will be $5890, I think this kit is going to rock!
This MSRP is just a little higher than our target MSRP though the additional exhaust parts and the big GT 35 series dual ball bearing turbo just cost more than we had allowed for, I'm certain you guys will be thrilled with the entire package and the performance.

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Though I still of course hope this GB gets big enough to take it under $5k.
Guys don't get too carried away as there's no way this single turbo package GB will be under $5k though the GB price will be very worthwhile, there also may be another nice surprise for you, no promises though.

Peter
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by APS

Guys don't get too carried away as there's no way this single turbo package GB will be under $5k though the GB price will be very worthwhile, there also may be another nice surprise for you, no promises though.

Peter
Group buy will include a cat or exhaust and two APS license plate frames? I'm so in.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by zman1910
Thanks for the clarification Peter, When is this single exhaust gonna be released and any idea on pricing?
I believe the APS 2.5'' TD stainless steel exhaust to suit the APS single turbo system will be available at around the same time as the APS single turbo system, sorry I don't have a price yet though it will offer very high performance at a very competitive price, I'll up date you as soon as I have final pricing.

Peter
Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM
phile

Originally Posted by APS
I can assure you if we could build a very complete highly engineered turbo system using the latest technology for a lesser price we would do it in a heart beat.

I'm not sure that correct, the more complete the system is the more cost involved.

Give it a go I say, all you need is a couple of million dollars and about 20 really experienced staff, though you might find it more difficult to turn a profit than you think now.

Peter

It's almost like you don't understand my satire. :P Anyways, couple million: check, 20 or so experienced staff: check, now all I need is a business plan!

Oh, and I don't want to make a profit, initially. I just want to undercut everyone out of spite

Quick Reply: APS, where's the post-Easter Single turbo system update?