Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BOV for a Turbonetics kit....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
+1 Mine also
HEYYYYYY YOU MADE IT!!!!! How is everything out there.....
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Any BOV if adjusted right should relieve all pressure low or high... On my Raptor when I even get to 0 PSI (even pressure before the cross into boost) and let off the pedal it still releases the air that was in the pipe that was begging to be compressed.

mine dont even do that....i have to hear the turbo spool, then i hear the bov. i think mine is broke...lol...hmmm....my bov is not all that loud, ive had people tell me that my turbo is louder than the bov, whys that?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
mine dont even do that....i have to hear the turbo spool, then i hear the bov. i think mine is broke...lol...hmmm....my bov is not all that loud, ive had people tell me that my turbo is louder than the bov, whys that?
Of course the more boost you're under the louder the BoV will be. If you're cruising at 2k rpm's and under vacuum, and then shift, it has no boost pressure to blow off.

My Raptor BoV is pretty loud when I'm WoT and under full boost. Not that I really want it to be really loud...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
Of course the more boost you're under the louder the BoV will be. If you're cruising at 2k rpm's and under vacuum, and then shift, it has no boost pressure to blow off.

My Raptor BoV is pretty loud when I'm WoT and under full boost. Not that I really want it to be really loud...
+1 couldn't have said it better///
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 PM
VeilsideZ33

i wish i can buy turbo parts just to spend money... i was very close to being able to afford the ST until something happen :'(
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Raptor BOV sounds like a wild turkey call when I lift off the gas....No whoosh about it. Not sure I like the sound....Not that I've gotten to drive it in the last week.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by kcobean
My Raptor BOV sounds like a wild turkey call when I lift off the gas....No whoosh about it. Not sure I like the sound....Not that I've gotten to drive it in the last week.
Are you serious? Definitely something not right there. Mine makes a "qwoooosh" noise.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 AM
kcobean

Yep, I'm serious. Not sure what could be wrong.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:26 AM
xluv2eatx

hahaha! mine too...i thought it was my imagination until i heard someone else say it....my cousin said it sounds like i ran over a bird......let me ask a quick question. if you loosen the screw thats on top of that bov, will it mess with the tension on the inside of the bov? i think its time to experiment of this part of the turbo kit...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I think I recall hearing that turkey sound in one of MIA's videos. Is it actually the wastegate that makes that sound vs. the BOV?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:23 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I think I recall hearing that turkey sound in one of MIA's videos. Is it actually the wastegate that makes that sound vs. the BOV?
Its the BOV and yes adjusting the screw will change the tension on the spring. Too loose though and you will start leaking boost...Too tight and it won't vent properly and will cause compressor surge.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

so MIA did you adjust yours to get the wooosh sound versus that turkey call I heard????
Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
so MIA did you adjust yours to get the wooosh sound versus that turkey call I heard????
No I think I know what they are talking about though. Under low to equal pressure the BOV does make a wierd fluttering sound when coming off throttle. Thats just the way the BOV sounds. Greddy BOVs do it as well. Just a bit different sound. Under full boost though there should be no flutter. It should be a solid pshhh.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

For an example of what the Greddy Type R sounds like doing this go to http://members.***.net/w.suarez go to video downloads and watch the video called Team Driven Dyno Day Part 1 600+ HP Supra that has a Greddy Type R BOv...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
HKS SSQV.

Not mainly for the sound, but for the fact that its a "dual stage pull type" valve. It releases both light and heavy loads of presure to prevent any compressor surge whiles holds all the boost.
I've seen dozens of cars with the HKS SSQV that still have compressor surge.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
I've seen dozens of cars with the HKS SSQV that still have compressor surge.
Really?
how do we know if we are experiencing compressor surge?
Should adjusting the spring fixing it?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
kcobean

No I think I know what they are talking about though. Under low to equal pressure the BOV does make a wierd fluttering sound when coming off throttle. Thats just the way the BOV sounds. Greddy BOVs do it as well. Just a bit different sound. Under full boost though there should be no flutter. It should be a solid pshhh.
Even backing out of WOT results in the flock of turkeys.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Really?
how do we know if we are experiencing compressor surge?
Should adjusting the spring fixing it?
Not all the time....you will hear a strange fluttering sound kind of like blowing into a PVC pipe that is capped. I know it wierd but if you heard it you would know. The reason why you get surge from the HKS SSQV is that it can't flow enough to properly vent the excess boost when the throttle plate closes. In the case of a turbo this big I doubt you would want to run two HKS SSQVs to properly vent the air. Although I'm not sure what the CFM rating of the HKS BOV is nor do I have exact figures on CFM produced from the turbo right here off the top of my head but I imagine a single HKS would be ok. Personally I love the way the Raptor sounds and will be sticking with it...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:16 AM
MIAPLAYA

Even backing out of WOT results in the flock of turkeys.
From what you are describing it definitely sounds like your tension screw is too tight.....
Old 07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
kcobean

From what you are describing it definitely sounds like your tension screw is too tight.....
Actually, when I got the kit back, I was able to unscrew it by hand. It's a good thing I checked this or it might have fallen off while driving. I snugged it down with a wrench, but didn't use the lock nut to change it's seat-depth any. If I were to adjust it, would I back it out, or adjust it so it sits further in to the BOV housing?

Quick Reply: BOV for a Turbonetics kit....