Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How to put together your own supercharger kit?? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:22 AM
keepupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put together your own supercharger kit?? help!

I was browsing Vortech's site and they stated that they make kits for all vehicles. Of course the 350Z is not on there yet....but, I thought that it might be possible to custom fabricate a kit with the right materials. What I would like some help on is what I would need to do this. I know Vortech will sell just the head unit, but what else would I need? CPU reprogram? Fuel injectors? piping? etc. Is this something a local speed shop could manage? Please help me. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2002, 12:28 PM
keepupp

Thanks VQ. I know Stillen is making a kit but it seems that the roots type superchargers don't produce as much horsepower. Why? I dont know! But, I would like my Z superchargered soon...I just cant wait!! I know I can buy the head unit which is basically universal...I would just need to customize the other hardware. I wonder if I could somehow use a JWT pop charger and custom some piping to connect it, the ECU, supercharger unit, throttle body, etc...and connect to the intake manifold? The Stillen unit wont be out for at least a few months, and I would like to work on something ASAP since my cart will be garaged until Spring. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2002, 02:25 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought only centrifigal(spelling isnt my forte) sC could use a blowoff, not regular ones, just like they can use a intercooler and regular cant.

anyway, yeah, a shop could point you in the right direction for a custom kit, it would be just that, all custom, done to your specs that they could help you make.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ hope you have alot of it.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:05 AM
cabalisticfire

Vortech is centrifigual, which means that it is like a turbo that's driven off of a belt connected to the crank instead of by the exhaust. Centrifugal superchargers tend to make more peak HP than roots type, here's more info:

Taken from superchargersonline.com
"What is the difference between a centrifugal supercharger and a roots type supercharger?
Answer: A roots-type supercharger is a positive displacement supercharger that forces air into an engine with two rotating, intermeshing rotors. A centrifugal supercharger has an impeller that pulls air through the center and directs the air into a scroll using centrifugal force. The scroll resembles a large blow-dryer with a circular shape and a discharge tube. The air is directed in the scroll, pressurized and forced out of the discharge tube and into the engine.

The two types of superchargers have different performance characteristics that have led to several debates on which supercharger is preferable. Proponents of roots blowers argue that more boost is available at lower RPM to provide off the line acceleration. Centrifugal supercharger enthusiasts argue that roots blowers are limited at higher RPMs and can increase air temperature and decrease horsepower. Paxton Superchargers offer significant horsepower at low RPMs with superior mid and high RPM performance. In situations where you demand performance from your vehicle, you are spending most of the time in the mid to high RPM ranges.
"
Old 11-25-2002, 12:22 PM
sschmuve

If it was that easy, kits would be a lot cheaper. There would be a lot more competition in the market. Let them do all the R&D, and spare yourself the headaches and $$$$.