Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Turbo Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
TJMAudio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo Automatic?

I was talking to another forum member, and he told me that Automatics should be supercharged and not Turbo'd... Why is this? Is the supercharger more efficient with an automatic, as the automatic has rev-limit (so a manual would spool more)? Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
StarcraftBW

automatic should stay NA hahaha j/k
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
taurran

Actually from everything I read, autos work great with turbocharged motors. You can actually build boost straight off the line. I KNOW I have seen some greddy kits installed on auto Z's, not sure about APS.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
TJMAudio

Which one overall would be better for an automatic though? Either?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
tabrizio

The best thing to do with an AT is to sell it and buy a MT. LOL JK. I really don't know for sure... but I know you can get the vortech supercharger for an AT but the only problem with AT is that they dont **** fast enough...thats were the manual shift mode comes into play.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by taurran
Actually from everything I read, autos work great with turbocharged motors. You can actually build boost straight off the line.
You are absolutely correct. That is why automatic turbo Supras will always beat manual turbo Supras in a drag race. Also why you see drag race teams going with aftermarket auto tranny's to replace the stock manual gearbox.

IMHO, I will never by manual, but I will also never hardcore drag race. From the drag racer aspect, autos win, but from the circuit racer perspective manual is king.

As for the question about turbo on a AT. I would prefer turbo anyday over SC for any reason that a MT tranny user would choose one over the other. It is just depending whether or not the fuel management works with the AT. That question I don't know the answer too. And now I'm just rambling...
Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabrizio
The best thing to do with an AT is to sell it and buy a MT. LOL JK. I really don't know for sure... but I know you can get the vortech supercharger for an AT but the only problem with AT is that they dont **** fast enough...thats were the manual shift mode comes into play.
Nothing a reflash can't fix... even the L-spec... just need to raise the rev limiter 300 rpm.. then you can shift in full auto as well...

Also, guys...let's do away with the 'sell the AT and get the MT' stuff... Yes, the MT has advantages over the AT, but that kind of talk is just plain ignorant.

G
The following users liked this post:
Lord-Onyx (05-16-2020)
Old 05-06-2005, 07:55 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sure you can turbocharge your automatic.We have installed quite a few of the SFR turbo kits on auto tranny cars.400+ at the wheels is typically what we get out of the automatics.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...35turbokit.php
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 AM
GMADD

I have the Greddy TT kit on my auto coupe and love it !
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 PM
zzzya

A rev limiter increase, upgraded torque converter, and valve body combined with a TT and the 5AT Zs will be making the TT 6MTs look tiny in the rear view mirror all day long.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 PM
TJMAudio

Originally Posted by GMADD
I have the Greddy TT kit on my auto coupe and love it !
What kind of gas mileage are you getting (daily driving), if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
CESAROTORRES

1+
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
GMADD

Originally Posted by TJMAudio
What kind of gas mileage are you getting (daily driving), if you don't mind me asking?

For some reason I think I'm getting better mpg but only when not in boost.

When in boost mpg drop but nothing drastic though. I strongly recommend a TT setup but that's just me.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
TJMAudio

As long as I don't drop under 15 MPG city I am all over it... :P
Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by zzzya
A rev limiter increase, upgraded torque converter, and valve body combined with a TT and the 5AT Zs will be making the TT 6MTs look tiny in the rear view mirror all day long.
What do you mean by an "upgraded torque converter"? I know either a higher or lower stall is involved, but I don't know which for sure. Is it a higher stall? How much higher, and why? Thank you.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by bullseye
What do you mean by an "upgraded torque converter"? I know either a higher or lower stall is involved, but I don't know which for sure. Is it a higher stall? How much higher, and why? Thank you.
I have heard that a higher stall is best for drag racing, so you can build boost off the line, making your hole shot much better given you can get traction. You will need upgraded half-shafts probably too for this.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:27 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
I have heard that a higher stall is best for drag racing, so you can build boost off the line, making your hole shot much better given you can get traction. You will need upgraded half-shafts probably too for this.
I've heard a higher stall speed helps you build boost off the line, too. I've read a few threads about new TCs/stall speeds; however, I've never seen a comparison/critique to date. I wonder what optimal characteristics a truly upgraded TC would have, with regard to our 350Zs and G35s:

Billet/forged pieces?
Higher stall speed? (What speed is "best" for street/mild race applications?)
What else???

If you install a new tranny valve body, do you even need a new TC for steet and mild racing?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:43 PM
zzzya

A more efficient TQ will decrease the amount of power that is lost in the tranny and effectively increase TQ and HP to the rear wheels. You can change stall rpms for more aggressive launching, but the more aggressive you get the worse the streetability. The upgraded VB will yield faster, firmer shifts increasing acceleration and decreasing 1/4 mile times due to more efficient shifting. Level Ten offers a combo upgrade. I have mine sitting in the garage right now waiting for me to install them this weekend Others in the past with 5ATs that did just the TQ and or VB were exteremely happy and raved about the upgrades.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:54 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.sgpracing.com
Buy Valve body upgrade, torque converter, and tranny cooler.. and u will be shifting faster then manual can . The torque converter and tranny cooler are not listed on the site.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:24 PM
thillskier

Originally Posted by zzzya
Ahhh, excuse me...where do u get your "experience"? Your sig says NA, bolt on's only.
Why would you give this info to someone when you aren't qualified (or maybe have no experience yourself with these mods?)

The APS SINGLE turbo would work VERY well and wouldn't be as hard on the tranny as boost could be kept lower till $$ was raised to upgrade the tranny, and STOCK, 91 octane, it puts out 390 HP (see thread)! PLUS saves enough to PAY for the tranny upgrade between 1/2 (approx) estimated cost to install that TT, and if Greddy or other turbos except Turbonetics ST (another choice for you possibly) they have blown engines quite REGULARLY for another BIG expense!! YIKES!
MIAPLAYER can fill you in on the Tnetics info as his is up and running and he is very happy with it.
I have my order in for the APS ST kit just to be honest here...
DEPOSIT in tomorrow AM!
just my 02.....