Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno Comparison Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM
B18CXr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Mustang MD-500 is around 13-16% off the local Dynojets.

As stated above, the operator can influence the numbers with ease....
Old 01-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Sam405

Hey b18cxr is your name jack? at p1 auto?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
onyx350z

Great info... good to know that the numbers are just that, numbers. I'm glad to see my numbers would be higher on the other dyno's, so am I correct in saying I have 26 more horse power on a dynojet compared to a dynamics?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
UnderPressure

Originally Posted by onyx350z
Great info... good to know that the numbers are just that, numbers. I'm glad to see my numbers would be higher on the other dyno's, so am I correct in saying I have 26 more horse power on a dynojet compared to a dynamics?
Ask the operator who runs the DD dyno you tested on. Ask if there was an additional correction factor applied to create a DJ number, or if the number was a straight out DD number. The best way to ensure you have a DD number w/ no correction is to have the last run post tune in Shootout Mode. Shootout Mode eliminates the additional correction factor feature and locks down the correction to our standard.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does a Dastek dynamometers compared with a dynojet and a mustang one??? I believe mustand and dastek are similar but not sure. Any inputs???
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
UnderPressure

Dastek has a very small foothold in the US market.
They started out as a knock off of Dyno Dynamics. Basically took our design and tried to reverse engineer it. Devil is in the details.

I'm note 100% sure of the std rating for Dastek. I believe they come from the factory on par w/ our numbers. However the operator can modify the correction factor to create a DJ or Mustang type number.

Remember the true measure of a dyno isn't to spit out numbers, but to provide a stable and repeatable testing platform for the operator/tuner.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
booger

Can a DynoJet dyno be made to print out bigger numbers ?

Ive seen some DynoJet numbers that seem very high on a SC . Double the stock WHP on only 11 to 12 psi . When it takes 14.7 psi to double the N/A whp of a car . And I know there are other factors that decrease the hp output , like exhaust .
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
UnderPressure

Yes , any dyno can manipulate the numbers to produce a desired result. Some shops of questionable integrity are know nationwide for having obscenely high numbers.

DJ numbers can be manipulation by a number of methods.

Remember the key is gains and losses, pre vs post parts/tune/build.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booger
Can a DynoJet dyno be made to print out bigger numbers ?

Ive seen some DynoJet numbers that seem very high on a SC . Double the stock WHP on only 11 to 12 psi . When it takes 14.7 psi to double the N/A whp of a car . And I know there are other factors that decrease the hp output , like exhaust .
Just out of curiousity, why do you say it takes 14.7 PSI to double the N/A WHP of a car? I would think with the other variables involved (timing being one of them) simply increasing the pressure to a standard 1 atmosphere doesn't necessarily equate to doubling the HP. Just wondering.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
booger

Red face

Originally Posted by UnderPressure
Yes , any dyno can manipulate the numbers to produce a desired result. Some shops of questionable integrity are know nationwide for having obscenely high numbers.

DJ numbers can be manipulation by a number of methods.

Remember the key is gains and losses, pre vs post parts/tune/build.
Thats what I figured . There have been some huge numbers being posted with SCer's and turbo cars . Some gaining 50 to 80 whp with only a 1 1/2 to 2 psi increase on a SCed car
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by booger
Thats what I figured . There have been some huge numbers being posted with SCer's and turbo cars . Some gaining 50 to 80 whp with only a 1 1/2 to 2 psi increase on a SCed car
There is a shop out here in VA that produces such ridiculously high numbers on their dyno that I completely discount the validity of any results produced there. Too bad many of the people that "shop" there don't realize that they're just wasting their money.

This leads to a question though...how do you calibrate one of these machines?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 PM
booger

Originally Posted by kcobean
Just out of curiousity, why do you say it takes 14.7 PSI to double the N/A WHP of a car? I would think with the other variables involved (timing being one of them) simply increasing the pressure to a standard 1 atmosphere doesn't necessarily equate to doubling the HP. Just wondering.

Of course there are other factors involved . Most of the factors involved decrease the possiblility of making double WHP . In a perfectly tuned motor with a no back preasure exhaust , an IC that cools enough with out any restriction , You can double the WHP of a NA car with 14.7psi . Now, how many of us with a SCed car have all this ? Not many and still ,, how many guys post dyno's that show there car made double the NA whp of thier car with less then 14.7psi ? quite a few .

Im refering to a SC car here . Turbo cars can produce double the WHP on less psi

Last edited by booger; 05-11-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
UnderPressure

Calibration.
There is a sticky subject. I'll try to cover the various type of dynos and their calibration procedures.

Calibration on any inertia dyno is really non-existant. The mass of the rollers does not change significantly over time. Hence the mass value used to calculate the rate of change in acceleration doesn't change. The only part to calibrate is the airgap betweeen the Hall effect sensor and the trigger wheel.

Eddy current/Water brake dynos measure tractive effort input force a set distance from the axis of rotation. The brake mechanism applied a counter force to create load or steady state conditions. The the measured force @ distance x is compared to the resitance force (brake) and input force is derived.

Now the part about calibration. Dyno Dynamics load cells are self calibrating (zeroing). Meaning, when the rollers are in a static condition the computer is looking @ the analog input value from the load cell, making incremental changes to bring the value back to a null value. Not + or - force on the load cell. This compensates for changes in the k value of the materials used. Temp changes affect the distance from axis rotation, durometer of the rubber insulator, etc.. The load cell measures to 0.001newton. It is a very sensitive system.

Mustang's system of calibration is as follows. Their load cell has no closed loop system. Once evey 6 months, depending on use, the operator has to disassembly part of the dyno to have access to the load cell and retarder. A plumb weight is suspended off a rod of a predefined length. This rod and plumb weight is hung off the load cell parallel to the floor.

-----------------[]
|
|
V

[]- cell
--- rod
V - weight
(my ascII art sucks)

The weight @ a given distance applied a predefined level of force to the load cell. This should produce a given reading in the software. The operator then adjust this constant as needed to compensate for conditions that might have changed since the last calibration. Wear in the system, temp change, etc...
Usually this takes the better part of 2-4 hours depending on the operator. I know of some Mustang dynos that have not been recalibrated since their initial setup. Other operators I know have made their own plumb weight and suspension rod instead of purchasing one from Mustang. If the weight or rod length if even off slightly then the load cell constant for that machine will be different than what is defined my the mfg.

I can guess the calibration procedure for a DJ/SuperFlow/DP load cell is near the same as Mustangs'.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 AM
kcobean

^
^
That is great information. I've always wondered about that, and now I know! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
UnderPressure

Welcome, glad I can help.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:08 PM
BrianLG35C

Sorry for this probably dumb question, but what dyno does oem auto manufacturers typically rely on for their advertised crank hp?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
UnderPressure

A little history lesson on Dynojets:

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/S...e/scan0001.pdf

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/S...e/scan0002.pdf

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/S...e/scan0003.pdf

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/S...e/scan0004.pdf

http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/S...e/scan0005.pdf
Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Sorry for this probably dumb question, but what dyno does oem auto manufacturers typically rely on for their advertised crank hp?
An engine dynomometer, tested under very strict conditions.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanted to post this in this thread to show people the difference in numbers on my car. Both of these were done within hours of each others on the same day. The DD was not "corrected" to read like a Dynojet.

Dyno Dynamics STD correction (No BS Dj correction)

13psi - 488whp 470ft/lbs
15psi - 541whp 540ft/lbs

Dynojet STD Correction

13psi - 525whp 494ft/lbs
15psi - 578whp 562ft/lbs
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Stock block, 93k miles - Greddy TT, Nismo cams, UTEC, custom 3" race exhaust
91 octane, and 11.6 psi wastegate springs - 10.2psi @ the MAP

Got a dyno day on a dyno jet going on this Saturday so I'll post that dyno as well

Quick Reply: Dyno Comparison Thread