Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

difference between stock oil pressure and aftermarket oil pressure gauges/sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default difference between stock oil pressure and aftermarket oil pressure gauges/sensors?

just wondering since the Z has an oil pressure gauge already, why the need for an aftermarket gauge? Is it just for a 2nd reading because it's really important?

Or is the stock oil pressure gauge not that accurate?

Is it wise to just scrap the stock gauge/sensor and just use aftermarket ones in place?

and is the temp gauge on the dash really just a water temp gauge, not an oil temp gauge? That's almost misleading - I've always thought it was oil temp
Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just rely on the stock one, it has good response and thats what matters. It appears to be accurate but even if its not totaly accurate, knowing your precise oil pressure doesnt help you much, its just nice to be able to compare your oil pressure under different circumstances. oil pressure can help tell you that your engine is up to temp and its safe to start giving it hell... if it reads lower then normal it can sometimes tell you if there is a leak... but what it does best is tell you if there is zero oil pressure and you already ruined your engine by looking at the gauge and pondering rather then shutting off the car.

oil pressure gauge is one gauge that i look at a lot... my stock ones seems consistent and response enough for me.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the guys seem to want conformity in their dash so they change them all out to a single brand like HKS, Defi, etc.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
mcderns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
and is the temp gauge on the dash really just a water temp gauge, not an oil temp gauge? That's almost misleading - I've always thought it was oil temp
It is just water temp. Not oil temp. For oil temp, you would have to get a new gauge and sensor.