Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

emanage vs. f-con

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 09:14 AM
overZealous1

Default emanage vs. f-con

i have been reading on the forum here how the f-con is a better management system than the greddy. why? what would be the advantage of one over the other if each is tuned properly?
also, getting my greddy tt today and hearing also that people say it is not complete for a safe install. what else does it need? does the greddy kit only have waste gates and not intake bov also, think i read that somewhere. thanks
Old 05-25-2005 | 10:35 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

the F-con has control over many fuctions of the engine, the Emanage relies on the ECU and adjusts some of the basic parameters based on the ECU's settings

The F-con controls everything directly. You get direct control over all parameters vs "indirect control" over a few parameters
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:20 AM
Gman2004

overzealous1,

If you have everthing listed in your sig the only thing you will need is the CAS wire, a BOV, and a good tuner.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:26 AM
ZRAYGO

i would suggest that you speak to gq626 and get the skinny on the emanage vs the fcon. I have the fcon and pretty much everything you have on your engine. Point blank, he is at 550+ hp and i am at 400 (barely). I have heard different things as maybe its the tuner and maybe its the fcon and maybe its the engine. But for the most part, I am still confused and a little on the edge about the whole subject. But if you really want a true answer, call on Sharif Abdulbaset (Forged Internals a.k.a. GQ626) and he will have most if not all of the answers. Other people to consult would be PHUNK (a.k.a. Charles of CP Motorsports) or GURGEN.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:28 AM
Gman2004

ZRAYGO,

What boost are you running? Last time I heard Sharif was at 17psi.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:38 AM
ZRAYGO

not even 1 bar. due to (according to the tuner) my exhaust is not equipped for a turbo setup and also my waistgate's need to be relocated. also keep in mind, the only difference between my car and sharifs is:

1. he has emanage and i have fcon
2. his car is black and mine is orange
3. my engine is sleeved and his is not
4. he has 9:1 pistons and I have 8.5:1
5. he is running 93 octaine and i am running 91

Now I have also heard that 500hp cant be reached with 91 octane gasoline and I have also heard otherwise. But before I take my car to another tuner and drop another 1g+ on tuning, I will make sure that I do reach 500hp.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:38 AM
taurran

I'm pretty sure for the FCON you need an installer/tuner who has been certified by HKS. Not many of these around to my knowledge. But there are MANY people who have experience with the Emanage. For that reason alone I'd think you're more prone to having issues with the Emanage than the FCON, but the Emanage is certainly a lot easier to work with.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:39 AM
ZRAYGO

...oh yea...i have a c/f hood. Basically we have the same car (down to the rims).
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:40 AM
ZRAYGO

Taurran,

I will tell you that the tuner that has tuned my car and installed my fcon is HKS approved and is also considred to be in the top 3 of tuners in the USA. But, I still have questions. Im still investigating the why's and why nots of the tuning of my car...
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:42 AM
ZRAYGO

Taurran,

You are right about the emanage (from what I have heard). Here is the catch on the FCON. Here in southern cali, there are about 4 tuners that are certified. The price goes from about 150hr to about 350hr. Supply an demand is the issue. As more tuners get certified hopefully the price will go down.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:48 AM
Gman2004

ZRAYGO,

The problem is definatley not the F-CON. Phunk had his car up to 467whp on the stock block with the F-CON.
Old 05-25-2005 | 11:50 AM
Gman2004

[QUOTE=ZRAYGO]not even 1 bar. due to (according to the tuner) my exhaust is not equipped for a turbo setup and also my waistgate's need to be relocated. QUOTE]

What exhaust are you running?
Old 05-25-2005 | 04:01 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by ZRAYGO
Taurran,

You are right about the emanage (from what I have heard). Here is the catch on the FCON. Here in southern cali, there are about 4 tuners that are certified. The price goes from about 150hr to about 350hr. Supply an demand is the issue. As more tuners get certified hopefully the price will go down.

sorry you are still dealing with these issues...i think the carbon fiber hood is what is keeping you at 400hp
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:46 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

i would suggest that you speak to gq626 and get the skinny on the emanage vs the fcon. I have the fcon and pretty much everything you have on your engine. Point blank, he is at 550+ hp and i am at 400 (barely). I have heard different things as maybe its the tuner and maybe its the fcon and maybe its the engine. But for the most part, I am still confused and a little on the edge about the whole subject. But if you really want a true answer, call on Sharif Abdulbaset (Forged Internals a.k.a. GQ626) and he will have most if not all of the answers. Other people to consult would be PHUNK (a.k.a. Charles of CP Motorsports) or GURGEN.
Didn't Brainstorm tell you exactly what you needed?
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:55 PM
overZealous1

actually i talked with him this morning about using his torque plate and had a chance to ask him about the differences. i feel the emanage is the right way for me right now. atleast till aem gets theres done. thanks
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:58 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Gman2004
overzealous1,

If you have everthing listed in your sig the only thing you will need is the CAS wire, a BOV, and a good tuner.
thanks for the info, seems kinda silly they didn't put a bov on the kit to start with, but oh well, gives me a chance to shop more, lol.
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:52 AM
ZRAYGO

yes brainstorm told me exactly what I needed. I think Rashan is the best in the business. There are a couple of different things i need to do before i make my final decision. Overzealous1, good luck and please give us some numbers once everything is done.
Old 05-26-2005 | 09:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i have been reading on the forum here how the f-con is a better management system than the greddy. why? what would be the advantage of one over the other if each is tuned properly?
also, getting my greddy tt today and hearing also that people say it is not complete for a safe install. what else does it need? does the greddy kit only have waste gates and not intake bov also, think i read that somewhere. thanks

The eManage is IMHO, the best piggyback on the market today for the 350Z. It drives the injectors and coils directly, and is highly tunable, and very capable. That said, the HKS unit is a true standalone ECU..in terms of functionality. The HKS disregards the fuel and timing maps of the stock ECU, and completely generates its own signals. This allows for very precise and accurate control over timing and fuel across all the different load points.

The biggest drawback of the HKS unit is cost, and more importantly, it is not user or even professionally tunable, unless you are a HKS Pro Certified dealer, and there are very few of them around. Charles, JoTech, and SGP are probably the best ones out there for installing and tuning the HKS unit. Even very famous and reputable shops, are having difficulty getting good power out of the HKS. ZRAZYGO is an example of this situation.

The GReddy kit, once you address the fuel and timing, is a very safe kit. I consider it s tuner kit..rather than a complete bolt-on affiar. Meaning, there are some areas that need to be addressed and improved.

And finally, the Greddy kit comes with two 38mm tial external wastegates, but no BOV. You can install any BOV you desire, just prior to the MAF to avoid stalling or richness issues due to leakage in the post-MAF area.
Old 05-26-2005 | 10:26 AM
ZRAYGO

oh and by the way sharif, I have not forgotten about our plan of action. Its still on, I just have a few things to take care of before I go forward.....very important family things....ill hit you up later...