Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Injected Performance 350z, 4.3L, Spy Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
SSR Engineering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Primo8998
Yeah it is not a tubular front end. It is just a Rad support. We were planning on using the SSR intake manifold but it turned out to be the biggest piece of junk on the planet.
We told you guys before hand that it was custom and it might not fit, and cutting was definitely Required.

People keep in mind this was a CUSTOM manifold that they wanted made, not the stock location one.

Not only did we eat the labor intensive costs of making you a custom manifold, we also agreed to take it back when we told you guys it required modification (And all of our invoices state no returns on custom orders). You just can't please some people.

Last edited by SSR Engineering; 05-27-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by sentry65
Oh yeah. That's the one I just call the 'coffin'. For the rest of us, I don't see paying $200 extra for that over the new Kinetix manifold. I'm just waiting to see some numbers for the kinetix on a turbocharged car.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:35 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Primo8998
Yeah it is not a tubular front end. It is just a Rad support. We were planning on using the SSR intake manifold but it turned out to be the biggest piece of junk on the planet.
Any chance you'd be willing to sell one of those core supports? PLEASE PM me!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
mazzoo

Cars looking good!!

Here are pic's of the SSR Manifold on my motor.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:00 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well after reading more, I'm not convinced the SSR plenum is a good buy

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....7&page=1&pp=20

This manifold has been around for over a year and STILL no dyno numbers. Why no numbers? Maybe it's cause it just didn't perform and instead of taking it off the market, just leave it up for people to buy the "mystery manifold" and see if it's any good or not

they said to me that the plenum lost power on NA because of short runners, but gained around 20whp for FI.

The kinetix SSV gains at least that much with FI and gains huge amounts of torque, looks better, costs less, came right out and backed up their claims with dyno data.

I think because of how shy SSR has been with responding to the public and the fact that there are NO dyno charts available, and they lost power NA - maybe their manifold just isn't all that great.

It seems like it could be ok for certain types of racing when you're hovering around redline all the time, but otherwise I think I'll have to go back to the kinetix SSV

I'm just pissed cause I backed out of the groupbuy, got my money back and now if I want a SSV, I gotta wait back at the end of the line and pay $95 more....agh

I swear I'm not going to listen to certain "knowledgable" individuals whom I won't mention on these boards anymore and just go with my gut
Old 05-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This manifold has been around for over a year and STILL no dyno numbers. Why no numbers? Maybe it's cause it just didn't perform and instead of taking it off the market, just leave it up for people to buy the "mystery manifold" and see if it's any good or not

they said to me that the plenum lost power on NA because of short runners, but gained around 20whp for FI.

The kinetix SSV gains at least that much with FI and gains huge amounts of torque, looks better, costs less, came right out and backed up their claims with dyno data.

I think because of how shy SSR has been with responding to the public and the fact that there are NO dyno charts available, and they lost power NA - maybe their manifold just isn't all that great.

It seems like it could be ok for certain types of racing when you're hovering around redline all the time, but otherwise I think I'll have to go back to the kinetix SSV

I'm just pissed cause I backed out of the groupbuy, got my money back and now if I want a SSV, I gotta wait back at the end of the line and pay $95 more....agh

I swear I'm not going to listen to certain "knowledgable" individuals whom I won't mention on these boards anymore and just go with my gut
This is getting pretty off topic, but all of the Kinetix F/I numbers have been skewed, the peak numbers at least. (for the first set) Not to mention they never told us if it was SAE corrected, and if it was, what were the correction factors.

JMO, I think APS will end up having the best intake manifold for F/I, and 350EVO the best for N/A. (as far as power)

And as others have stated, is the turbo kit going to be produced? What engine management are you using?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
sentry65
the burninator

there's plenty of graphs here without that little blip at 7000rpms

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...ProdID=12&HS=1
Old 05-27-2005, 02:39 PM
SSR Engineering

It's not that it does not make gains, we just haven't had any time to test the before and after with any of our f/i cars. But I've yet to see any TT car with just a TT system, an intake manifold and exhaust make over 400WHP at 6.4PSi.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
narkotic

The stranger thing is that I've seen that exact looking manifold on a Top Secret car, namely the widebody custom turbo Z from months and months ago. Then all of a sudden SSR had an exact replica of it.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:50 PM
sentry65
the burninator

this car?
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...130_0406_350z/

looks nothing like the SSR
Old 05-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

there's plenty of graphs here without that little blip at 7000rpms

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...ProdID=12&HS=1
Lol...337 to 411 on an SSV...yeah, right. Tuning probably accounted for 75% of that.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:45 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I need a new manifold - I broke a bolt on my lower plenum and it's held together by silicon - it'll probably burst a pinhole leak with a TT

options are to:

- buy a stock lower plenum
- buy 2005 lower plenum
- buy SSR manifold
- wait who knows how long for the APS manifold - who's gains are again up in the air
- buy SSV manifold

I don't want to pay $200 for exactly what I already have with the stock lower plenum

the 2005 lower plenum seems like a waste to me

the SSR just sounds fishy that it's been way over a year and still no dyno. Well I'm not getting the SSR manifold until they post some numbers, even then it seems like it isn't the best option for a car that does some street driving.

I'm not gonna sit around for the APS plenum that's been in the works since last sept or whenever. I have a TT kit going on my car and am not going to delay that.

The SSV seems like the best choice for me at this point and am going to plan on buying it.

Even if the SSV does 1/3 of the hp gains it claims, I'll be happy and appreciate it's other benefits other than power gains.

nis350ztt, you really seem to hate the SSV. I know you think they got the design just all wrong, but how many others on the boards think that? So far there seems to be a lot of happy SSV owners out there - NA and FI.

Last edited by sentry65; 05-27-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
taurran

I'd say go with the Kinetix SSV.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:19 PM
narkotic

Thats it!

this car?
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...130_0406_350z/

looks nothing like the SSR
Old 05-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I need a new manifold - I broke a bolt on my lower plenum and it's held together by silicon - it'll probably burst a pinhole leak with a TT

options are to:

- buy a stock lower plenum
- buy 2005 lower plenum
- buy SSR manifold
- wait who knows how long for the APS manifold - who's gains are again up in the air
- buy SSV manifold

I don't want to pay $200 for exactly what I already have with the stock lower plenum

the 2005 lower plenum seems like a waste to me

the SSR just sounds fishy that it's been way over a year and still no dyno. Well I'm not getting the SSR manifold until they post some numbers, even then it seems like it isn't the best option for a car that does some street driving.

I'm not gonna sit around for the APS plenum that's been in the works since last sept or whenever. I have a TT kit going on my car and am not going to delay that.

There is the APS upper intake plenum, and then there is the APS intake manifold, two different things.

The SSV seems like the best choice for me at this point and am going to plan on buying it.

Even if the SSV does 1/3 of the hp gains it claims, I'll be happy and appreciate it's other benefits other than power gains.

nis350ztt, you really seem to hate the SSV. I know you think they got the design just all wrong, but how many others on the boards think that? So far there seems to be a lot of happy SSV owners out there - NA and FI.

I think it was a bad decision they made, just the material they used, the design isn't great, etc. Don't hate it, heck, I wanted it until I saw the gains, I can't justify $800 for something that does the same thing of something that's $350. If i'm going to spend $800 to lose 8lbs, I want it to perform for the price as well. I'm sure there are, i'm not saying that it doesn't make gains, the whole part doesn't justify the price... gains, material vs. gains, etc.
Can't post a quote anymore with vB3 without adding text after what you are quoting.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:33 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
There is the APS upper intake plenum, and then there is the APS intake manifold, two different things.
ok you're right they have 2 products coming out and neither are out yet

I think it was a bad decision they made, just the material they used, the design isn't great, etc. Don't hate it, heck, I wanted it until I saw the gains, I can't justify $800 for something that does the same thing of something that's $350. If i'm going to spend $800 to lose 8lbs, I want it to perform for the price as well. I'm sure there are, i'm not saying that it doesn't make gains, the whole part doesn't justify the price... gains, material vs. gains, etc.
I've been getting the impression that their manifold gains around 12ish whp for NA vs 8whp with the plastic plenum. That's still a 50% gain over what's currently on the market. Surely that'll transfer to FI. Is it worth it? I dunno, depends. In a way no aftermarket parts are worth it.

other than heatsoak, what's wrong with stainless steel?

If you don't like stainless steel for engine parts, I'm going to jethot coat my SSV and get the thermoshield gasket, that should keep temps down way below the stock/crawford manifold. Especially if I was going to be getting a vented hood anyway

Last edited by sentry65; 05-27-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 PM
axxizzer

I call BS on the 4.3 L statement

the engine cover clearly states 3.5
Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

ok you're right they have 2 products coming out and neither are out yet

The APS upper intake plenum is out.

other than heatsoak, what's wrong with stainless steel?

Price

If you don't like stainless steel for engine parts, I'm going to jethot coat my SSV and get the thermoshield gasket, that should keep temps down way below the stock/crawford manifold.
Read above.
Could have used a different material to get the same gains (since SS didn't gain enough for the price) for less money, JMO.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:40 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by axxizzer
I call BS on the 4.3 L statement

the engine cover clearly states 3.5
Ever heard of a stroker kit?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
sentry65
the burninator

isn't the APS upper plenum just a warmed over crawford?

(still doesn't solve my lower plenum problem)

I'll take any material over plastic. What other material could have been used? Carbon fiber? Aluminum? Plastic? Iron? Those all have their own drawbacks with price, heat, or durability/strength

Quick Reply: Injected Performance 350z, 4.3L, Spy Photos