Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

540whp APS 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
tonio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540whp APS 350Z

I picked up a magazine today and there was an APS 350Z on the cover putting down 540whp that was done at Brainstorm. There were a couple of things that stood out to me, one being that he is running 13psi while most of us have been trying to figure out why we cant go past 12.. (the ones with built motors at least) is this an issue that was already known and addressed behind closed doors?

The other thing I found interesting is the owner went with forged rods and pistons with a compression ratio of 10.5:1 instead of lowering the compression. I kind of like the idea of raising the compression but figured it wouldn't be ideal. I forget what magazine it is but you guys should pick it up, its a pretty interesting article.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Gman2004

Maybe they had a set of actuators custom made.

Hey tonio kinda off topic but did you loose function of your washer fluid when you installed the water injection from Z1 that uses the washer tank? Also what exactly do you put in the washer tank?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 PM
RedLeader

Tonio-
I just had upgraded actuators installed that should hold up to 20psi. Hoping to fire it up later today, if everything goes according to plan. I won't know how it's going to perform until the break-in is done and I take it back for tuning.

Bruce
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
tonio

Nope, windshield washer still works like before. Right now I'm injecting windshield washer fluid, I think it varies with the different brands but generally windshield washer fluid is a mixture of water and methanol which is ideal. Thinking about going that route?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by tonio
Nope, windshield washer still works like before. Right now I'm injecting windshield washer fluid, I think it varies with the different brands but generally windshield washer fluid is a mixture of water and methanol which is ideal. Thinking about going that route?
Yeah, I am getting worried about these piston/cooling issues at high boost. I am probably just go to have a 9lb and 12lb setting. I will have it tuned 11:0:1 and use the water injection for extra precaution. I don't want any problems and if I have to turn down the boost that is fine with me....too much has been invested already. I will up the boost when these issues have been resolved.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
tonio

Originally Posted by brucekgt
Tonio-
I just had upgraded actuators installed that should hold up to 20psi. Hoping to fire it up later today, if everything goes according to plan. I won't know how it's going to perform until the break-in is done and I take it back for tuning.

Bruce

Yeah I saw the thread, I'm very interested to see how that goes. I'm considering building another engine on the side so I can up the boost myself.

I just thought it was interesting that people were banging their heads on the monitor over not being able to boost that high then I read the magazine of someone already doing it.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Lorca@Z1

There were a couple of things that stood out to me, one being that he is running 13psi while most of us have been trying to figure out why we cant go past 12.. (the ones with built motors at least) is this an issue that was already known and addressed behind closed doors?
Considering that Brainstorm worked so closely with APS on the G35 install recently, it would not suprise me if APS advised Brainstorm to upgrade the actuators along the way.

I honestly don't know why people are so suprised that something has to be changed in order to go way beyond the stock setup. Nobody thinks twice about upgrading the springs when going for big power on the GReddy or PE kits

I'm stuck at 8.5, but I still love it
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Lorca@Z1
Considering that Brainstorm worked so closely with APS on the G35 install recently, it would not suprise me if APS advised Brainstorm to upgrade the actuators along the way.

I honestly don't know why people are so suprised that something has to be changed in order to go way beyond the stock setup. Nobody thinks twice about upgrading the springs when going for big power on the GReddy or PE kits

I'm stuck at 8.5, but I still love it
I think most people are upset that they can't buy these actuators not because they have to switch them. Even now that bruce found a solution they still have to be fabricated and it took some sourcing.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
RedLeader

I think it's all about future liability. I assume APS didn't want just anybody tuning their setup. They also probably didn't want the kind of reputation that ATI developed for popping motors. It's hard to believe they didn't consider low compression/high boost applications. I'm sure they'll catch up to the market and offer different actuators and maybe even more tuning access in the future.

The higher boost actuators don't really require fabrication. I think these are stock, off-the-shelf actuators, but the threaded section needs to be cut down and the actuator rod needs to have some additional threads cut. Finally, the shop used some sort of vacumn pump to set the base boost level. I'm sure this is all pretty standard stuff for an experienced shop. It's just all new to ME.

Bruce
Old 06-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Gman2004

Bruce,

I am glad you got these actuators and I can't wait to see what your monster puts out. Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats my bro's car. He's on the boards quite often. I think that may be a typo on the boost. He told me that it's at 12pounds of boost but you never know, he's kinda sneaky
crazy ****
Old 06-07-2005, 02:38 PM
g356gear

I picked up a magazine today and there was an APS 350Z on the cover putting down 540whp that was done at Brainstorm. There were a couple of things that stood out to me, one being that he is running 13psi while most of us have been trying to figure out why we cant go past 12.. (the ones with built motors at least) is this an issue that was already known and addressed behind closed doors?

The other thing I found interesting is the owner went with forged rods and pistons with a compression ratio of 10.5:1 instead of lowering the compression. I kind of like the idea of raising the compression but figured it wouldn't be ideal. I forget what magazine it is but you guys should pick it up, its a pretty interesting article.
Which magazine?????
Old 06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
thawk408

Don't believe everything you here in magazines, they lie a lot. A friend of mine put an rb26dett in a 240 and it was in a few magazines and they say in the mags that he had swapped the stock internals out for forged ones when he really didnt
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
DSport G35

g356gear - DSport Magazine July 2005 Issue # 31. Make sure you guys check out the second to last page also...(Project G35 Update)

Originally Posted by thawk408
Don't believe everything you here in magazines, they lie a lot. A friend of mine put an rb26dett in a 240 and it was in a few magazines and they say in the mags that he had swapped the stock internals out for forged ones when he really didnt
thawk408 - You're right, some magazines lie a lot. Fortunately we tell the truth no matter what. Whether its Test&Tunes or Feature Cars, we give you the facts and technical information needed to educate the reader.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
hurahn

Originally Posted by DSport G35
g356gear - DSport Magazine July 2005 Issue # 31. Make sure you guys check out the second to last page also...(Project G35 Update)

thawk408 - You're right, some magazines lie a lot. Fortunately we tell the truth no matter what. Whether its Test&Tunes or Feature Cars, we give you the facts and technical information needed to educate the reader.
That's refreshing. It's a little disappointing when you find some stuff was just creative writing.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
dirtroad

I'm loooking at the mag right now... it's also running 100 octane and says the 540 whp is at 7100 rpm.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
narkotic

I took a ride in it yesterday. Fun car

The wastegates are completely stock.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
G3po

If they are running 10.5 and 13psi reliably , it is most likely not on pump gas. Most likely 100octane min.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by brucekgt
Tonio-

Bruce
what CR are you running?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
xxlbeerZ

APS chose those actuators since that's what the fuel system is good for.

Since APS will be coming out with a bigger fuel system upgrade soon, I would think they'll have upgraded actuators available.

APS has more of a complete package mentality so IMO it doesn't make business or logical sense for them to sell one part for you to "modify" your turbo kit when they'll have a full package available in the near future.

I'm guessing besides dual throttle body capability, 12 injector capability, full fuel return system, dual pumps, etc. the gigantor package will also of course include some sort of upgrade for the turbos. IMO, anyone wanting to go crazy should just wait for this package to come out rather then hack up their "stock" APS kit.

Quick Reply: 540whp APS 350Z