Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:16 PM
jester7500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Kelly! The kit looks awesome. Can't wait until you take me for a spin in that red beast .
Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
phile

Did anyone decide to mate a fuel return system with the Turbonetics kit yet?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phile
Did anyone decide to mate a fuel return system with the Turbonetics kit yet?
I don't think there is a need for it with this kit. With the 380 cc injectors provided with this kit, there's no chance of them overrunning the the Walbro 255 LPH pump. The pump is delivering fuel at a rate such that the injectors at full duty cycle can't outrun the pump and the stock in-tank FPR is still functional.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM
phile

Originally Posted by kcobean
I don't think there is a need for it with this kit. With the 380 cc injectors provided with this kit, there's no chance of them overrunning the the Walbro 255 LPH pump. The pump is delivering fuel at a rate such that the injectors at full duty cycle can't outrun the pump and the stock in-tank FPR is still functional.
So basically what you're saying is it's the best value out there.

I wonder why they didn't go with a larger diameter downpipe...

Last edited by phile; 07-01-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by phile
So basically what you're saying is it's the best value out there.

I wonder why they didn't go with a larger diameter downpipe...
Yeah, it's a GREAT kit at a great price, that's for sure.

As for the larger diameter downpipe, I'm guessing the philosophy is that the exhaust system will be more restrictive than the downpipe, thus a larger DP wouldn't buy you anything. In my case however, they suspect that my exhaust is so open that I'm generating too much boost. I'd hate to see what a larger downpipe would do to me....13 PSI maybe

Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
arlingtonz

Kelly, have you been able to turn you boost down? Your numbers are so damn impressive, I wanted to do APS, but I think that it might be silly with those numbers.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:27 AM
trescincuenta

What did you have to do to get your EVO2 to work with the kit? As far as I know you get a single pipe coming out of the turbo right?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
Kelly, have you been able to turn you boost down? Your numbers are so damn impressive, I wanted to do APS, but I think that it might be silly with those numbers.
Turbonetics, with their fantastic customer service, overnighted me a pair of springs for the wastegate, one a 7 lb spring, and one a 5 lb spring as soon as I told them of the issue (Reggie is the MAN!!!). I will be verifying my gauge readings with a mechanical gauge on Wednesday, and if I really am hitting the 10.5 - 11 PSI mark, I will be installing one of these other springs.

I'm wondering if the change this lower tension spring produces will allow the gate to open farther, or just faster. Unfortunately, it's not that I'm spiking to 10.5 PSI, it's that I can run there through the entire RPM range (once the turbo is spooled up of course), so allowing it to open faster won't help, it actually needs to vent more pressure. I don't know if a boost controller would help either if the wastegate just simply can't release enough pressure. If that's the case, I'm not sure what the next step is. Potato in the tail pipe maybe?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
arlingtonz

Potato in the tail pipe maybe?
Yeah, give it the 'ol Animal House try....again congrats on the car...now there is no chance of keeping with you on the dragon.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
What did you have to do to get your EVO2 to work with the kit? As far as I know you get a single pipe coming out of the turbo right?
Basically, the shop cut the exhaust off at the back of the resonator (the single portion of the X pipe) and created an interconnect between the downpipe and the split back to dual pipes. The flow is very very direct now, which we believe may be contributing to the higher boost levels. It looks good though, and is still very quiet since the turbo is such a good muffler.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
Yeah, give it the 'ol Animal House try....again congrats on the car...now there is no chance of keeping with you on the dragon.
Thanks Brett..We'll have to arrange a meet since there's nothing scheduled this month and go for a drive.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Speed Dreams

Basically, the shop cut the exhaust off at the back of the resonator (the single portion of the X pipe) and created an interconnect between the downpipe and the split back to dual pipes. The flow is very very direct now, which we believe may be contributing to the higher boost levels. It looks good though, and is still very quiet since the turbo is such a good muffler.
That will do it..........
Old 07-02-2005, 06:48 AM
MIAPLAYA

Turbonetics, with their fantastic customer service, overnighted me a pair of springs for the wastegate, one a 7 lb spring, and one a 5 lb spring as soon as I told them of the issue (Reggie is the MAN!!!). I will be verifying my gauge readings with a mechanical gauge on Wednesday, and if I really am hitting the 10.5 - 11 PSI mark, I will be installing one of these other springs.

I'm wondering if the change this lower tension spring produces will allow the gate to open farther, or just faster. Unfortunately, it's not that I'm spiking to 10.5 PSI, it's that I can run there through the entire RPM range (once the turbo is spooled up of course), so allowing it to open faster won't help, it actually needs to vent more pressure. I don't know if a boost controller would help either if the wastegate just simply can't release enough pressure. If that's the case, I'm not sure what the next step is. Potato in the tail pipe maybe?
It will do both technically. The lower tension spring will crack open the valve sooner allowing some boost to bleed off and then will open a little further as the pressure continues to build. A boost controller could be used if you want to go with the lower tension spring. This would technically give you a lower maximum pressure ratio which you could then turn back up to 8 PSI via a manual boost controller.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
kcobean

Well, my day at AAM was eventful, and I think ultimately productive, but a little frustrating nonetheless. The change in WG spring solved the high boost problem, and I now hit right on 8 PSI at WOT. The remaining problem is a VERY unstable A/F ratio through the band. Turbonetics is all over this one, and I'm confident that we'll find a solution to this, it's just a matter of working the process.

Here's a copy of my dyno from today. Green is the initial dyno that was done after install on June 23rd. Red was my baseline dyno this morning to verify the accuracy of my gauge (still with 9 PSI spring). Green is post 7 PSI spring install. Note that Red and Blue are very similar. The A/F actually drops into the 9's as you can see. The car gives off black smoke through this RPM range.

Last edited by kcobean; 07-06-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I wonder if its your exhaust???
Old 07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

I wonder if the fuel pressure valve was modified...it would cause an overly rich condition...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:43 PM
1 2 NV

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I wonder if the fuel pressure valve was modified...it would cause an overly rich condition...
I thought it was suppose to be modified? Or am I thinking of something else? I remember having to use a 1/8(maybe) inch bit to have to make a hole larger on the.......fuel pressure rugulator....I think.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
I thought it was suppose to be modified? Or am I thinking of something else? I remember having to use a 1/8(maybe) inch bit to have to make a hole larger on the.......fuel pressure rugulator....I think.
Right...what I'm saying is I wonder if this was not done. I know Kelly got one of the first kits I just don't know if AAM did that though. The first kits did not say too. I talked to Brad about this this afternoon and he didn't know if that had been checked. That would definitely casue a rich condition of it was not modified..
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
1 2 NV

Gotcha
Old 07-06-2005, 07:31 PM
MIAPLAYA

Kelly as we discussed it seems to me that this is fuel pressure related. Looking at your AFR curve from the initial dyno it looks dead on...this one starts off much lower then the other likewise as compared to taurrans.... Heres what I mean... look at taurrans AFR

Yours....

Both of yours are a little leaner before 4500 then go rich..the difference is that his starts at 14:1 at 2500 and goes rich from there where yours starts at 11:1 at 2500 and gets richer with the same rich dip just after 4500 it seems to me like your fuel pressure is just to high and the injectors and flash are running as they should becuase they dont know the fuel pressure is higher...

Quick Reply: The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!