Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Prolonged start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 AM
1 2 NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prolonged start up

Does anyone know what would cause a car not to just start right up? I have a few ideas but I dont want to put them out there with out getting other opinions first. It just seems like sometimes it will take my car 5 seconds to start while just holding the key in the start position. I am starting to think this has something to do with the multiple/random misfire codes that I have received. But the car..... after it is started runs great, I am not sure what would cause it not to crank right over.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 AM
barthelb
Master

Do you have cams? I get this randomly as well. Everynow and then its like it just doesn't catch. Other times for days or weeks on end its fine.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 AM
t32gzz

If this problem is not all the time, I would not be concerned. If you are running a return system, this is most likely your culprit. I always turn the key to the on position for just a second or 2, and you will hear the pump prime. After you have heard the pump prime, try to turn it over. It should start right up.

If the problem is getting worse, you are likely losing fuel pressure when you turn the car off. If you have a fuel pressure guage you can check this by seeing if the FP drops after you turn the car off. It should not drop much, if at all.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you car has a check engine light on, check your trouble codes. A missing CAS signal will take about 5 seconds for the engine to start as it switches over to default on the cam triggers once it realizes that the CAS signal is not gonna show.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 AM
MIAPLAYA

Hmm very true but I dont think think he is getting a CAS code. Just 0300 mutli misfire. I would also like to know what the fuel pressure is...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM
taurran

I just installed an alarm with a remote starter this past week and the car won't start. It just sits there and tries to crank over and never starts. I've been told that even on NA cars, with this alarms starter it seems to take longer to actually crank over and start. I'm thinking because of the larger injectors and possibly the fuel pump that it's unable to start for some reason... . . .

However, the car starts perfectly fine when I manually start it....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
I just installed an alarm with a remote starter this past week and the car won't start. It just sits there and tries to crank over and never starts. I've been told that even on NA cars, with this alarms starter it seems to take longer to actually crank over and start. I'm thinking because of the larger injectors and possibly the fuel pump that it's unable to start for some reason... . . .

However, the car starts perfectly fine when I manually start it....
I think its because of the immobilizer chip in the key.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I think its because of the immobilizer chip in the key.
Yep....key has to be in the ignition for it to start. Try the key in the ignition and then press the auto start button on the remote. Good way to check.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
Does anyone know what would cause a car not to just start right up? I have a few ideas but I dont want to put them out there with out getting other opinions first. It just seems like sometimes it will take my car 5 seconds to start while just holding the key in the start position. I am starting to think this has something to do with the multiple/random misfire codes that I have received. But the car..... after it is started runs great, I am not sure what would cause it not to crank right over.
A misaligned flywheel will do this exact thing.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:31 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by g356gear
Yep....key has to be in the ignition for it to start. Try the key in the ignition and then press the auto start button on the remote. Good way to check.
Good point. We have a spare key in the bypass module for the ignition that should allow this to work. I'll try this when I go to lunch. Thanks again, sorry for taking the thread off topic.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a return fuel system, that is definately the cause. There really isnt much you can do about it. You can reduce the fuel pressure to about 40psi and the car will start right up. But then your fuel pressure may be insufficient for your power level.

I run 52psi of fuel pressure, and I just give it some gas as I turn the key. This cracks the throttle plate slightly, and allows more air into the engine. When cars start slowly, they are almost always running too rich at the start. This is the reason a lot of return system cars will fire right up when cold (when a rich fuel mixture is needed to get combustion), and then dont start easily when hot (when a leaner mixture is needed to start the car).
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
1 2 NV

I dont have a return system, or cams. I am all stock with the exception of the T-netics kit. I didn't mess with the clutch/flywheel/tranny so I dont think it would be a missed aligned flywheel. It doesnt happen all the time just occasionally. When I turn the key to the on position I here the pump kick on for a few seconds, I assume it is priming the system. It isnt till I hear the pump kick off that I try to crank it over. Its not a huge deal I am thinking though it could be triggering my SES light to come on thinking thinking that it is misfiring. I really appreciate everyones insight. Hopefully I can figure this thing out with everyones help. Thanks