Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Unichip and E-Manage

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unichip and E-Manage

Well, I finally got started on my motor build. I went with Scott Performance in Santa Clara, CA. Ted, from SP will be putting in a Unichip unit in my car. Just wanted to ask some of you guys if any of you know anything about the Unichip and how it will work with the Greddy setup I currently have. He will be testing it first to see if it will be compatible or not, and if not, I guess I will be sticking with the E-Manage Ultimate, I might get the E-Manage Ultimate anyways to replace my old blue E-Manage in my car. So if you guys have any suggestions or knowledge with the Unichip unit, please feel free to chime in.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:10 PM
acg

I will be going to Ted some time soon to get my car tuned via the unichip, did he say how much the unichip unit it as he never told me that I needed to purchase one.
What I have heard though is that it can tune boost to whatever psi you want at each rpm, this also goes for AF and fuel, looks like it is a really good way to go to get the most out of your setup and still keep it tuned safely.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the increments on the RPM? 500? (btw, that is pretty normal)

So you are planning on running the ultimate emanage + unichip? Little overkill, wouldn't you say? It's going to be a PITA to wire and I don't see the point. Whichever engine management system is wired further up the wire(s) is the one that will be telling the engine what to do. (it adjusts via the settings from the engine management system further down the wire, so you'll need to do an extremely conservative tune on the unichip and fine tune on the ultimate emanage/emanage and vise versa (well, the unichip would have to be custom wired since it plugs directly into the ECU))

Hope this helps. Bad idea IMO. I know alot of people are worried about blowing another motor, but using two piggybacks/piggyback + reflash has just shown to be more trouble than anything. I would do one or the other. The ultimate eManage should be able to take care of anything you need done.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
What are the increments on the RPM? 500? (btw, that is pretty normal)

So you are planning on running the ultimate emanage + unichip? Little overkill, wouldn't you say? It's going to be a PITA to wire and I don't see the point. Whichever engine management system is wired further up the wire(s) is the one that will be telling the engine what to do. (it adjusts via the settings from the engine management system further down the wire, so you'll need to do an extremely conservative tune on the unichip and fine tune on the ultimate emanage/emanage and vise versa (well, the unichip would have to be custom wired since it plugs directly into the ECU))

Hope this helps. Bad idea IMO. I know alot of people are worried about blowing another motor, but using two piggybacks/piggyback + reflash has just shown to be more trouble than anything. I would do one or the other. The ultimate eManage should be able to take care of anything you need done.
I was trying to get him to get info on the Ultimate E-Manage myself. Maybe Sharif can give him a call and explain to him the advantages of the Ultimate E-Manage. Say I choose to go the Unichip route, will I have to remove the blue E-Manage that is already in my car? I will have him talk to Sharif or something so he can explain the whole ordeal. And ACG, he told me it was somewhere between 600-700 I think.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
fernandito7

How much is ted gonna charge u for the build up?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
I was trying to get him to get info on the Ultimate E-Manage myself. Maybe Sharif can give him a call and explain to him the advantages of the Ultimate E-Manage. Say I choose to go the Unichip route, will I have to remove the blue E-Manage that is already in my car? I will have him talk to Sharif or something so he can explain the whole ordeal. And ACG, he told me it was somewhere between 600-700 I think.
There are a few things that the ultimate eManage has over the Unichip (target AFR feature (if he determines it works)).

Ok, let me try to explain this more thoroughly...

Piggybacks can only retard or advance ignition timing, increase or decrease injector pulse width, etc. within a range that is given to them. The range that is given to them comes from whatever is sending the information through the wires (which would be the ECU, assuming there is nothing else done to the car).

So...say it is wired like this

Engine
^
|
Ultimate eManage
^
|
Unichip
^
|
ECU

The Unichip will only be able to tune between the range the OEM ECU is giving it. The ultimate emanage is only going to be able to tune between the range the Unichip is giving it. Understand now?

This is the way that I understand it at least.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 AM
cquence 350 [Z]

Originally Posted by fernandito7
How much is ted gonna charge u for the build up?
10K with the Unichip if I decide to go with it.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

cquence, have Scott call me...I'd be happy to chat with him about the eManage Ultimate vs. Unichip.

I dont think Scott was suggesting to use both units simulataneously. If you went with the Unichip, he could just remove the eManage blue. If you already have the eManage blue properly installed, then switching to the EU is very simply, and you just unplug the harnesses from the blue, and plug them into the EU. Then there is one additional supplemental harness that needs to be wired up.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:14 AM
SUD

There are a few things that the ultimate eManage has over the Unichip (target AFR feature (if he determines it works)).

Ok, let me try to explain this more thoroughly...

Piggybacks can only retard or advance ignition timing, increase or decrease injector pulse width, etc. within a range that is given to them. The range that is given to them comes from whatever is sending the information through the wires (which would be the ECU, assuming there is nothing else done to the car).

So...say it is wired like this

Engine
^
|
Ultimate eManage
^
|
Unichip
^
|
ECU

The Unichip will only be able to tune between the range the OEM ECU is giving it. The ultimate emanage is only going to be able to tune between the range the Unichip is giving it. Understand now?

This is the way that I understand it at least.
That is not correct for the APS TT & ST systems. The Unichip is upstream of the ECU and tells it what to do, not the other way around. This is a primary feature of the way the APS solutions are designed. For instance, wrt the OEM knock sensor and the safety protocols of the ECU....the Unichip 'knows' that you are FI, receives the signal from the knock sensor and tells the ECU what to do. Since the Unichip 'knows' that you are FI and the ECU doesn't the implication is enhanced safety and complete access to the ECU's safety protocols WITHIN THE CONTEXT of a known FI environment. The reverse, what you suggest eg. Unichip downstream of the ECU, would be inherently less safe, as it (the Unichip) would be just blindly modifying ECU output....ECU output which by definition doesn't truly understand the whole picture. That is inherently less safe and a potential recipe to go boom.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

SUD, I just want to make sure everyone understands this concept of the Unichip being "upstream". I can say the same thing about the MAF adjustments on the EU..and other functions. Whenever you have a piggy back that intercepts the signal, prior to the ECU seeing it, this can called "upstream". In the case of the EU, for instance, when we scale injectors, we intercept the MAF signal from the sensor, and then send a different signal to the ECU. This is exactly how the Unichip does its thing.

All of the fuel enrichment with the Unichip is done via MAF correction, rather than driving the injectors and coils with the EU.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 07-13-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

Plus even though you are "telling" the ECU what to do it doesn't mean the ECU can't just switch maps anyways. Not ALL parameters are intercepted...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by SUD
That is not correct for the APS TT & ST systems. The Unichip is upstream of the ECU and tells it what to do, not the other way around. This is a primary feature of the way the APS solutions are designed. For instance, wrt the OEM knock sensor and the safety protocols of the ECU....the Unichip 'knows' that you are FI, receives the signal from the knock sensor and tells the ECU what to do. Since the Unichip 'knows' that you are FI and the ECU doesn't the implication is enhanced safety and complete access to the ECU's safety protocols WITHIN THE CONTEXT of a known FI environment. The reverse, what you suggest eg. Unichip downstream of the ECU, would be inherently less safe, as it (the Unichip) would be just blindly modifying ECU output....ECU output which by definition doesn't truly understand the whole picture. That is inherently less safe and a potential recipe to go boom.
I never stated anything about the APS TT and ST and the Unichip not being 'upstream'. Heck, look at my diagram.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:01 AM
cquence 350 [Z]

So Sharif, what would you recommend Scott doing for my setup? I will have him give you a call and maybe he can switch over to the E-Manage Ultimate. But, if he can get the Unichip working correctly and safely while putting out max power, I wouldn't mind either. So yeah expect a call from Scott. Thanks Sharif!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
So Sharif, what would you recommend Scott doing for my setup? I will have him give you a call and maybe he can switch over to the E-Manage Ultimate. But, if he can get the Unichip working correctly and safely while putting out max power, I wouldn't mind either. So yeah expect a call from Scott. Thanks Sharif!
Scott is very good at tuning the Unichip, so I dont see a big reason to switch. I can talk to Tim and see what he thinks. The EU has some functions the Unichip doesnt, and vice versa. It really depends on how comfortable the tuner is with each system. If he has good success with the Unichip, I would stick to it.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are some of those differences?

what abilities does the unichip have that the EU doesn't?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by sentry65
what are some of those differences?

what abilities does the unichip have that the EU doesn't?
I think it's the other way around. The EU has a few things that Unichip doesn't. Unichip is comparable to the eManage + all harnesses.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what I was thinking, but if there is some special feature the unichip has that the EU doesn't have, I'd be curious to know what it is
Old 07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
SUD

I never stated anything about the APS TT and ST and the Unichip not being 'upstream'. Heck, look at my diagram.
Sorry. I did look at your diagram, which has the Unichip downstream of the ECU. You also stated
The range that is given to them comes from whatever is sending the information through the wires (which would be the ECU, assuming there is nothing else done to the car).
I am simply correcting this assumption which is wrong.

Shariff
SUD, I just want to make sure everyone understands this concept of the Unichip being "upstream". I can say the same thing about the MAF adjustments on the EU..and other functions. Whenever you have a piggy back that intercepts the signal, prior to the ECU seeing it, this can called "upstream".
I agree completely. Anything intercepted first and then sent to the ECU is upstream. Again, just trying to correct a misconception some people have. The point being that you can heavily influence what the ECU sees and does across many parameters. Important to know, yes?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
SUD

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Plus even though you are "telling" the ECU what to do it doesn't mean the ECU can't just switch maps anyways. Not ALL parameters are intercepted...
What's your point? The ECU makes the final choice in all cases. You can heavily influence it on anything you intercept upstream. You can do so 50, 60, 70, 80, 90% of the time...take yer pick. Your other choice is 0% of the time. Which do you prefer?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by SUD
Sorry. I did look at your diagram, which has the Unichip downstream of the ECU. You also stated

I am simply correcting this assumption which is wrong.

Shariff

I agree completely. Anything intercepted first and then sent to the ECU is upstream. Again, just trying to correct a misconception some people have. The point being that you can heavily influence what the ECU sees and does across many parameters. Important to know, yes?
That "assumption" is correct. That is the way piggyback/interceptor-style engine management systems work.

Quick Reply: Unichip and E-Manage