Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Unichip and E-Manage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUD
What's your point? The ECU makes the final choice in all cases. You can heavily influence it on anything you intercept upstream. You can do so 50, 60, 70, 80, 90% of the time...take yer pick. Your other choice is 0% of the time. Which do you prefer?
The ECU will not make the final choice of what the engine does if you are using an interceptor-style/piggyback engine management system. The ECU "thinks" it is still telling the engine what to do.

However, if the ECU goes into limp mode, the piggyback engine management system can NOT account for changing those parameters. I believe the ultimate emanage and AEM EMS will be about as close as we'll get to being able to account for the ECU referencing the three maps. (as you can just make your own maps on a standalone and operate off of those all the time)
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by sentry65
that's what I was thinking, but if there is some special feature the unichip has that the EU doesn't have, I'd be curious to know what it is

I wasn't refering specifically to the feature set, as I havent used the Unichip software extensively enough to know all of its capabilites. It's important to find a tuner that is experience with either device, and then use the one they recommend. Sorry if I caused some confusion.

You are correct, that there are numerous features present in the EU, that not present on the Unichip. However, if a tuner isnt comfortable tuning the eManage, then I would defer to Unichip. You can get a safe and quality tune out of both systems. I think the EU is superior in many ways, but it doesnt mean that the Unichip tune is inferior...does that make sense?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You are correct, that there are numerous features present in the EU, that not present on the Unichip. However, if a tuner isnt comfortable tuning the eManage, then I would defer to Unichip. You can get a safe and quality tune out of both systems. I think the EU is superior in many ways, but it doesnt mean that the Unichip tune is inferior...does that make sense?
Right, it just means the EU software owns him. J/K
Old 07-13-2005, 06:57 PM
dynamic6er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUD
The point being that you can heavily influence what the ECU sees and does across many parameters. Important to know, yes?
Peter,

Question for becasue I have asked multiple people and have actually stumped most with it. The Unichip and the Split Second box are wired into the Crank and Cam signals and either delay or advance these signals to determine timing. So the question I have is this. Is this not also modifying the point that the injector fires? Either before its supposed to or after its supposed to? In an extreme case or depending on cam, head, or valve design or even engine speed and the map could the injector actually be firing at a very inappopriate time? Could this cause puddling? Lose of atomization? or backfires in the intake? I know it may sound a littel silly but I figure you could answer.

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

Now Ted is Unichip authorized and he knows what he is doing with the Unichip. That is the reason why I am asking you guys, since he can master the Unichip. He was saying that he can make it as safe as he can as long as he is using the Unichip. So with him being an authorized Unichip tuner, should I just stick with the Unichip since he is doing my build? And if it doesnt come out as planned, I can always switch to the EU. I just want my setup to be safe but powerful.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
Now Ted is Unichip authorized and he knows what he is doing with the Unichip. That is the reason why I am asking you guys, since he can master the Unichip. He was saying that he can make it as safe as he can as long as he is using the Unichip. So with him being an authorized Unichip tuner, should I just stick with the Unichip since he is doing my build? And if it doesnt come out as planned, I can always switch to the EU. I just want my setup to be safe but powerful.
It's up to you, but personally i'd take it to someone who can tune very well on the eManage (and therefore should have few problems with the EU).
Old 07-13-2005, 07:16 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

thats the problem, I dont know very many tuners that has tuned the E-Manage up in Norcal. I have tried searching and haven't had any success.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

Now another question, if I was to go the Unichip route, will I be able to use the E-01 to display the boost, rpm, or any other goodies?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
Now another question, if I was to go the Unichip route, will I be able to use the E-01 to display the boost, rpm, or any other goodies?
Boost, and RPM yes. You just have to give an RPM signal to the e-01 brain. It will still funcation as a boost controller, but will not let you see all the inputs and the like, without the eManage.