Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

greddy TT prob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:12 PM
MAS952

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy TT prob?

Hello all,

Name is Tony. Part owner of a install shop here in MN.

We installed a Greddy TT kit on a g35 and never ever had it running correctly. 3 times it has blown excessive smoke out of the tail pipes burning massive amounts of oil. First 2 times the turbos were sent back for seal repair. 3rd time they said that the turbos were machined bad and there was too much clearance causing the oil leak into the exhaust. So now they sent us brand new turbos, we put them in and BAM, sam thing happens. We cant figure out also why the oil pressure is hitting at times 80+ psi upon start up and WOT. after start up it will settle down to 15 psi or so. which now to control that we have an oil restrictor on the main feed fitting. With that restrictor, it hits about 50 psi at WOT. Seeing that we are going to crank the pressure up and see if that helps. At idle oil pressure sits at 10-15 psi.

any info would be gretly appreciated.

thanks for the space.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:39 AM
joshcrz

what other mods have been done to the G besides the turbo kit
Old 09-04-2005, 10:18 AM
MAS952

the G is bone stock besides the kit. never had it running right since the install. everytime we start it it would blow out lots and lots of smoke out of the tail pipes. almost as if you were to lay under the car with 2 fire extinguishers.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:55 PM
joshcrz

I've never had that prob when i installed any kits now I'm sure you have already done this i just have to ask.. you've taken down the cats and have seen lots of oil in the down pipe? and its black not blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe? oil pressure at the sending unit is 80 psi start up that seems to be a lot( cant find my damn z disk manual) what is it at idle?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM
joshcrz

i meant blue not black smoke ......
Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
MAS952

yea the smoke is black oil in the tail pipes and in the cats. bo blue smoke, which i assume is a good thing?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
002-M-P

All i can think of is that there could possibly be something blocking the oil return lines cause the pressure to build up in the turbo, which could blow out the seals. Not sure, but its an idea, good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

80+ psi at start up is not uncommon. If the oil pressure stays at that PSI after the oil is up to temp 160-180 degrees F, then that can be an issue. once the car is warm, seeing 60-80 psi is also not uncommon at WOT. All that said, I don't think your oil pressure is the issue. I would ensure the the drains are not kinked, blocked, etc.

Does it smoke all the time, under acceleration, under decel?? if it smokes all the time or under acceleration, I would me more worried than if it smokes under decel.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 AM
joshcrz

ok blue smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. so if it is in fact black i would check other things such as emanage or the injectors. i know the color is hard to tell between the two but it helps if its in the sun light or use a flash light behind the smoke....
Old 09-06-2005, 11:03 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

has the motor ever run w/ boost? or have the current problems been with start-up only?
i always get scared when i see smoke coming out of the exhaust (as one should)...i broke 3 ringlands...smoked like crazy...the most current scare: filled the oil a little bit more than i should have (plus i shimmed the oil pump to raise the oil pressure)..the extra volume caused the oil to back up in the turbo return lines and backed up forcing small amoujnts of oil through the seals...i drained about 1/3 quart of oil, problem was gone in 30 seconds
good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car idle normally....sound wise? Aside from the smoke, does the engine sound normal?

With that much oil, it sounds like a blocked or restricted drain line, or something as simple as too much oil in pan? How much oil did you add after installing the Greddy kit?

I have never heard of smoking Greddy turbso right out of the box...but I guess anything is possible. Becuase you had the turbos rebulit and are still having this issue, signs should point to other areas. Try the drain lines and oil level.

As mentioned, 80-90psi of oil pressure at cold start is totally normal. The oil is colder and thicker, and the oil pressure will remain high until the oil starts to reach operating temp.

If the car has a rough idle, or sounds like crap, then I would look to the eManage for possible problems. Things like deleted or corrupted firmware, etc.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
joshcrz

just checking in to see the progress. have u guys had any luck solving ur issue or is still being a pain in the rump?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:24 AM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a greddy oil pressure gauge today to monitor how much oil pressure was reaching the turbos. At WOT I saw 100psi! Turbos are only supposed to run anywhere between 45-60psi!!! This excessive oil is shooting down against the bearings and ultimately draining down but in doing so it creates oil pressure to build up in the core of the turbo housing. ANY pressure being created there is gonna make the oil push through the Oil seals. It is a common misconception to think that these seals break or blow out. These are merely "piston-ring like seals" its just a metal ring and if you were to place a small amount of oil in the core, place your thumb in the return port to block it and blow into the oil pressure port, you could easily blow the oil past the seals! So... it seems like the logical thing to do is to reduce the oil pressure in those lines to a modest 40-60psi and this should easily fix the problem.

This theory came from Bill at Redat of North America here in Orlando. He has over 30yrs of experience in the field of turbos and he rebulds and balances car and truck turbos all day long.

No one I've called here in orlando has the restrictors in stock. Are these universal and where can I find them???
Old 05-13-2006, 12:27 AM
tecni

Believe me when I say I will not rest until I find a cure for this problem!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:01 AM
BoOsTedz33TT

Take It To A Shop That Knows There **** For You Make A 8k Boo-boo
Originally Posted by MAS952
blue smoke, which i assume is a good thing?
You own a shop?? which one..i must know

Last edited by BoOsTedz33TT; 05-13-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:14 AM
tecni

ummm, it MIGHT be too soon to call this one a victory over my smoke problem BUT...

Like I had mentioned before, I got the oil pressure gauge hooked up and the Greddy oil filter block adapter and since then I have not seen any more smoke come out of my exhaust! What could this adapter have done to fix the problem?---> I have no clue but all seems to be running perfect.
I'll be taking a drive down to Tampa tonight so I will have some good drive time to make sure its not a false alarm.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 PM
tecni

I took the drive to tampa and back and the car runs great. I'm seeing 371whp!!! Wooo hooooo!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 AM
tecni

I got an EGT gauge yesterday and after I bought it I realized I was gonna have to drill into the turbo manifold. This wouldn't be a problem if I could just take it out, drill it and put it back on. The problem I'm facing is that the shavings from the drilling will blow into the tubro once I start the car up and ruin the exhaust fan.

I was wondeirng if I could just tap it into the down pipe since its right after the turbo? Taking my exhaust manifold off is a pain in the butt.