Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pros and Cons of Single or Twin??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005 | 09:23 AM
rs350z

Default Pros and Cons of Single or Twin??

Hey i was just wondering if anybody had some input on whether or not to go twin or single turbo. What are the benefeits of either. Is it easier to gain more HP from the single or the twin. I heard from all sorts of people that single is better. Then others says twin Just trying to get some opinions to better settle my mind
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:01 AM
CompiledMonkey

I don't know much about FI yet, so take this with a grain of salt...

From what I understand, the twins will come with smaller turbos and spool faster. The single has a large turbo but takes longer to spool.
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by CompiledMonkey
I don't know much about FI yet, so take this with a grain of salt...

From what I understand, the twins will come with smaller turbos and spool faster. The single has a large turbo but takes longer to spool.
In practice the difference in spool up time is minimal however twin turbo kits typically have a larger amount of torque down low then the singles. The singles however make just as much hp in the end and are much more affordable options...
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:50 AM
rs350z

MiaPlaya, is the Tnetics kit upgradable turbo wise. Lets say you wanted a diffrent trim is that possible?
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by rs350z
MiaPlaya, is the Tnetics kit upgradable turbo wise. Lets say you wanted a diffrent trim is that possible?
Yes it is...Turbonetics can do damn near anything you want...
Old 09-11-2005 | 03:01 PM
James@APS
Banned

Hey i was just wondering if anybody had some input on whether or not to go twin or single turbo. What are the benefeits of either. Is it easier to gain more HP from the single or the twin.
On the VQ V6 engine it's far easier to generate strong torque (strong ow to mid range torque) and high Horsepower from an intercooled twin turbo system. There's just not sufficent space to package a really large single turbocharger and down pipe for really big HP unless you are prepared to make some significant mods in the engine bay imho.

Ultimately is all comes down to your power and torque needs, if you want around 500 WHP or more then I believe that most guys would choose to go with twin turbochargers, if you are happy with 350 to 400 WHP then a single turbo system may well suit your needs, hope that helps.

James
Old 09-11-2005 | 03:46 PM
rs350z

I have heard that a few peopole say the single is better because of weight. Is this a significant diffrence? Also I would like to say that i am shooting for around 425-450 HP. I would also like to pull 12's at the track. Once I get to 425 the question is will that be enough??
Old 09-11-2005 | 08:02 PM
thawk408

I would imagine a twin setup would be better for track purposes b/c of the spool time. (track as in roadracing)
Old 09-11-2005 | 09:37 PM
AznTwins

Yeah it all depends on what you want to do with the car, road racing, 1/4 mile, street, hwy car that can run with a supra or bike on the high end.

Twin Turbo
Pros: faster spool and smoother powerband.
Cons: the high end isnt too great

Big Single Turbo:
Cons: longer spool time
Pros: throws you back in your seat when it hits full boost and usually has a better high end than the twins.

James@APS: Do you offer bigger turbos for your twin turbo kit? Also since you seem to think twins are the way to go with the VQ V6, will the APS twin turbo kit be able to keep up or beat a Big Single turbo supra? Some people dont care about the 1/4 track and just want to be able to beat a 800+ whp supra on the high end.
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:15 PM
James@APS
Banned

Originally Posted by AznTwins
Twin Turbo
Pros: faster spool and smoother powerband.
Cons: the high end isnt too great
Pros - correct, a faster spool and stronger low, mid and top end power from twins if thoroughly engineered and matched well to the engine capacity, though generally a more expensive approach to turbocharging.

Cons - incorrect imho. The high end power is absolutely dependent on the mass air flow delivered from the turbocharger or turbochargers, the number of turbochargers utilised to deliver the mass air flow is absolutely irrelevant to the top end power achieved.

Big Single Turbo:
Cons: longer spool time
Pros: throws you back in your seat when it hits full boost and usually has a better high end than the twins.
Cons - Correct though with the latest ball bearing turbo technology spool is improved on big single turbochargers.

Pros - Incorrect imho, the high end power is totally dependent on the mass air flow from either the large single turbo or twin turbos.

James@APS: Do you offer bigger turbos for your twin turbo kit?
APS has a good number of larger ball bearing turbochargers curently being tested for the VQ engine - more information over the coming months.

Also since you seem to think twins are the way to go with the VQ V6, will the APS twin turbo kit be able to keep up or beat a Big Single turbo supra?
This simply depends on how serious the owner of the 350Z is compared to the the owner of the Supra. I think to be fair you need to acknowledge that the Supra has had 10 years of product development whereas the 350Z is a much newer car and at the start of it's development cycle. That said, I am positive that there will be plenty of 700 to 800 WHP Z cars roaming the streets overthe next 2 years. APS currently has developed 743 WHP from the VQ engine (more info on this at a later date) and I am sure there is plenty more power to be found. The drive train required to deliver this amount of power/torque will be the real challenge for the aftermarket to address and we all know that the Supra has an awesome drivetrain.

Some people dont care about the 1/4 track and just want to be able to beat a 800+ whp supra on the high end.
I have no doubt that the 350Z with the right total gearing and areo package will some day give the Supras a real run for the money on the high end,all good.

James
Old 09-11-2005 | 11:15 PM
AznTwins

James@APS: Thanks for the fast responses and answering all of my questions.

The future of APS products for the VQ engine looks to be great, keep up the good work. I'm looking foward to see what APS has to offer in the near future.
Old 09-12-2005 | 04:35 AM
rs350z

I cant wait to find out about these bigger turbos from APS!
Old 09-12-2005 | 02:06 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

i got twins, and went for a ride in a single, you can tell the difference, single has alot of lag, to me its like day and night, if you never had a turbo on your Z, it would be hard to tell, I gave the guy a ride in my car after i road in his, he admitted it too
Old 09-12-2005 | 06:10 PM
rs350z

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
i got twins, and went for a ride in a single, you can tell the difference, single has alot of lag, to me its like day and night, if you never had a turbo on your Z, it would be hard to tell, I gave the guy a ride in my car after i road in his, he admitted it too

What would you say that you liked better??? Just curious from an already FI Z owner.
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:03 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

who wouldn't like twins better?

the only con is price and an extra 25-30 lbs
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:42 PM
rs350z

Is there a diffrence in sound of spooling fomr the turbos, single or twin. Or do you just hear plain old spooling?
Old 09-12-2005 | 09:13 PM
VeilsideZ33

i wonder if there is a difference in sound of ST and TT? I'll find out when my friend takes me for a ride in his APS TT g35! =)

I got the tnetics ST and I'm happy with it because
a) it was $5000 (install +kit) cheaper than any of the TT's.
b) because I didn't get it for racing purposes I like the lag b.ci t boosts when I want it to... up until 3000rpm it drives like a stock Z
c) it has great show aspect to it and it was a complete bolt on with all the little things included! =)
Old 09-12-2005 | 10:13 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Is there a diffrence in sound of spooling fomr the turbos, single or twin. Or do you just hear plain old spooling?
there is a big @ss difference in sound, you hear twins spool, the single doesnt really get in boost till high rpm, and the echaust note covers the sound