Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A little trouble after turbonetics install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
vitaminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a better look at the clearance today from the bottom. the headers themselves do not touch the down pipe. however, the v band clamp on the down pipe touches the header by like a milimeter, i mean it is like the skin of my teeth! i might be able to put a piece of paper in between. i have no problems with vibration so far, i don't really expect it either.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:52 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by vitaminZ
had a better look at the clearance today from the bottom. the headers themselves do not touch the down pipe. however, the v band clamp on the down pipe touches the header by like a milimeter, i mean it is like the skin of my teeth! i might be able to put a piece of paper in between. i have no problems with vibration so far, i don't really expect it either.
I tried putting a peice of header wrap between the body and the band clamp, where mine was coming in contact with the body. It was a fix for a few days until it wore through/came off. We pulled out the downpipe to swap the headers back in and found that the v-band clamp on the downpipe was actually broken from the contact, and the fact that the pipes were misaligned.

Remember these headers and downpipe are EXTREMELY hot. About the only insulating material that can withstand that kind of heat is a header wrap.

Granted, after the swap, I did lose a slight bit of power up top, but I gained more under the curve down low. I was hitting 8.5psi at about 3900 rpms with the headers, and am now hitting 8.5psi at around 3300-3400 rpms.

I'm going to make a writeup of this kit headers vs without headers in a bit, I just need to get some usable dyno graphs first (the shop's printer was broken the day-of).
Old 09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
backagain

Went out for a test drive today with jaime (vitaminZ) and this is what we gathered so far. he hit like 8.5 to 9psi on his defi boost gauge. i would say his a/f but his innovate wideband has not been calibrated so i wouldn't trust the results just yet. the car pulled hard but 12nv's turbonetics turbo felt like it had more torque to me. jaime's Z felt really fast @3900 rpms by 4500rpms his Z was at full boost, maybe even 4700rpm. we will take a closer look in the days to come.

jaime has fixed all his problems minus a small oil leak coming from the npt fitting on the bottom of the turbo and he busted a v-band clamp on the exhaust. he should have everything buttoned up soon.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM
LaPuLaPu

I was reading thru TS's installation manual and I noticed they dont mention the torque setting for any of the bolts. How do you self installers know what torque to tighten any of the bolts?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:11 PM
1 2 NV

At the beginning of the directions they give torque specs in accordance with the size of the bolt being used.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
LaPuLaPu

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
At the beginning of the directions they give torque specs in accordance with the size of the bolt being used.
Good eye, thanks. I guess I got too excited and skipped to the meat of the manual.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 AM
down_shift

Did you do the install on Jackstands at your place? Or did you have air tools and shop environment?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did it on jackstands at an auto hobby shop with air tools a plenty.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 AM
1 2 NV

I did the install at my house on jack stands. It wasn't what I would call fun but it is do able. The end result was well worth it. I didn't have any air tools. Like the kit says simple hand tools. I have a 300 piece or so craftsman tool set and that was all I needed with the exception of maybe another extension or other little tool.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 PM
taurran

Yeah, after experiencing the tight fit on this kit, I'd definitely reccommend some extensions and some stubby wrenches.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 PM
LaPuLaPu

Did you guys remove the driver side motor mount to allow more room? What parts did you have problems putting on due to lack of room?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
1 2 NV

I cant remember every little tight spot but some that I do remember was the connecting the dump tube to the #1 down pipe, and one of the bolts that connect the down pipe to the turbo. Thats what I can think of off the top of my head but there are more than that. But when its all over you will think to yourself .......ah that wasn't to bad. But at the time of install there will be at least one time where you will be scratching your head wondering how you got that bolt or nut tightened. lol
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
1 2 NV

No I didnt remove the motor mount.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 PM
backagain

***this is vitaminZ posting under backagain's handle***

found the vibration problem!!! it was a loose o2 plug on the alphawerks header (driver side). apparently i only tightend it finger tight so it worked itself loose. it makes sense because originally it wasn't that loud.

My header clears, never was the header!!!! once again the alphawerks headers work well with this kit as far as fitment. fitment is tight but it works!!

now i am completely happy with my t-netics turbo and the fact that i took the time to install with the help of a few friends! thanks Dan and Ray!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by backagain
***this is vitaminZ posting under backagain's handle***

found the vibration problem!!! it was a loose o2 plug on the alphawerks header (driver side). apparently i only tightend it finger tight so it worked itself loose. it makes sense because originally it wasn't that loud.

My header clears, never was the header!!!! once again the alphawerks headers work well with this kit as far as fitment. fitment is tight but it works!!

now i am completely happy with my t-netics turbo and the fact that i took the time to install with the help of a few friends! thanks Dan and Ray!
Cool. Now you have me wondering why Alphaworks was able to fit without contact, yet the DC Sports headers rubbed? I was under the impression that they were basically the same design... guess not. Now, I'm not sure if the Nismo headers will be a problem or not... I know that Phatmitzu is going to try the install with the nismo headers, so I guess we'll see then. But, I understood that the DC sports were a direct copy of the Nismo headers. hmm....

Anyway, when are you hitting full boost now?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Z PHAT Z

Stillen headers dont fit too. It slightly rubs against the down pipe.