Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Going FI was the worst decision I've ever made

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:45 PM
baileyrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your crappy luck, but the chick in your avitar is pertty hot any more pics??
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened with your SGP motor? Im sure they tracked the package via the shipping company. Didnt anybody sign for its drop off? Is the shipping company saying they dropped it off at GRD? Is GRD saying they never received it period? What is SGP doing to take care of this? Sorry to hear of all your issues just curious to see how this motor situation turns out.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

yep - FI sh*t happens. All the little crap that goes along with FI can really suck. Sorry for your hassles man. I really hope it all gets worked out soon so you cna enjoy your car.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry about you're frustration. Fifty percent of the 350Z naturally aspirated drivers here say that they are “going forced induction.” I hope that they read your post. You and the other forced induction guys are an inspiration, but I know that it comes at a cost: dollars, downtime and headaches.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
What happened with your SGP motor? Im sure they tracked the package via the shipping company. Didnt anybody sign for its drop off? Is the shipping company saying they dropped it off at GRD? Is GRD saying they never received it period? What is SGP doing to take care of this? Sorry to hear of all your issues just curious to see how this motor situation turns out.
It's complicated...we used GRD's shipping company. GRD said they didn't know to look for a clutch; neither did I, I assumed it would be either shipped seperately or attached to the motor. SGP never took photos of how it shipped and there was never an itemized list to sign because GRD didn't exect anything other than an engine. The two shops spoke regarding shipping arrangements, but I guess nobody said anything about there being a clutch coming also. There's no real proof that it shipped and there's no real proof it never made it if it was shipped, since GRD signed for it as is. There's no doubt in my mind that the blame rests on the shipping co, but since SGP can't provide proof that it was shipped and how it was shipped, I can't pursue the shipper.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear, i know how you feel. This happened to my supra 2 years ago. Ever since then i have been skeptical on F/I for the Z.
Best of Luck
Old 09-26-2005, 04:25 PM
booger

Im doing a valve body with SGP along with them re doing my block next month . I'll make sure to ship both at different times . Hope it works out for you
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
It's complicated...we used GRD's shipping company. GRD said they didn't know to look for a clutch; neither did I, I assumed it would be either shipped seperately or attached to the motor. SGP never took photos of how it shipped and there was never an itemized list to sign because GRD didn't exect anything other than an engine. The two shops spoke regarding shipping arrangements, but I guess nobody said anything about there being a clutch coming also. There's no real proof that it shipped and there's no real proof it never made it if it was shipped, since GRD signed for it as is. There's no doubt in my mind that the blame rests on the shipping co, but since SGP can't provide proof that it was shipped and how it was shipped, I can't pursue the shipper.
Oh ok, not to say that doesnt suck but it was just the clutch? I took it as your motor was not found from your earlier post. I would put the blame on SGP for not shipping something like tha in a box, saving $20 shipping resulted in you not getting your clutch, thats just dumb. Hang in there, things will get better for you.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Sorry to hear, i know how you feel. This happened to my supra 2 years ago. Ever since then i have been skeptical on F/I for the Z.
Best of Luck
It's mainly vendors that I'm annoyed with at this point, not the act of going FI on a Z.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:29 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to go is stay on a stock block, and stay around 6-8 lbs of boost, hopefully you will never have trouble! I know a bunch of people on stock internals that are pretty fast too!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:29 PM
RedLeader

failsafe306-
Is either shop doing anything to help you out? Will they sell you a replacement at cost? Do they have a clutch they've been trying out in their "shop car" they can make you a sweetheart deal on? They've got to be as disturbed as you are about the whole thing. Here's a chance for them to look like heroes by going the extra mile...... Good karma.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:35 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by RedLeader
failsafe306-
Is either shop doing anything to help you out? Will they sell you a replacement at cost? Do they have a clutch they've been trying out in their "shop car" they can make you a sweetheart deal on? They've got to be as disturbed as you are about the whole thing. Here's a chance for them to look like heroes by going the extra mile...... Good karma.
GRD isn't really at any fault, but Mark at SGP said he's split the cost, but not absorb the entire cost, which to me seems fair given they didn't physically lose the clutch, they just had a small part in it. Irshad at GRD is still working with his shipper, hopefully they'll take the whole claim. The motor wasn't even strapped down to the pad when it arrived at GRD, and there was a huge hole in the plastic that was used to wrap the motor. That should be grounds for a claim right there. I should just say they damaged my motor in transit and make them pay for a new one!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Rayden2001

Wow dude, I hope your luck turns around for you real soon.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:42 PM
failsafe306

Alright. I think I've gotten over my little meltdown, and I'm thinking clearly now. There's a place in Chicago that everyone uses for coating, and supposedly they do 2000 degree coating, so I'm gonna use them, and hopefully I'll be ready for assembly by Monday. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks for the condolences everyone!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:48 PM
overZealous1

i think you walked under the same ladder i did, hahaha. i ran an ati first on stock block. 4 broken ring lands, 5 bent rods. ok, so i tear it apart for the forged bottom end. 3 times arp sends incomplete or non threaded nuts or studs on BOTH the main and heads bolts making my bottom end assembly take roughly 3-4 weeks. then the emanage i had and was brand new took a crap after 3 hours. i tow the car to a local shop and after 14 hours they can't figure out my probs, so i get to tow my car back @ $150 each direction. so i buy the e ultimate. now i have been trying to figure out a misfire problem for the last 2 months. this would all be fine, but i have been working on and building highpo cars for 17 years now!!! i need to remember what i learned a long time ago, the more you modify, the more work to keep it running. oh ya, and the money, lol.
good luck getting your clutch deal figured out. i would be hotter thasn hell about that one. btw- i used header wrap on all my exhaust and downpipes. it works better than the coatings for heat and is cheaper too. get at any performance parts place.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
MacRayZ

I am debating FI and this is why. It sounds like my safest bet for 400whp will be for a Vortech kit. Does anyone know about similar horror stories for that kit?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by MacRayZ
I am debating FI and this is why. It sounds like my safest bet for 400whp will be for a Vortech kit. Does anyone know about similar horror stories for that kit?
Don't let my horror story scare you away from forced induction. Keep in mind that I'm going all out, built motor and all, and I'm doing it the worst way possible, by using different vendors from all over the country, and trying to coordinate everything is a nightmare. If I could do it all again, I'd have trailered my car to SGP in Houston, and had them do everything locally. But, you live and you learn, and I'll never make this mistake again. If all you want is 400whp, pick the kit you like best and have it professionally installed and tuned by a reputable shop, and you'll be happier than a pig in **** when you get it back.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Badmonkey

There is a shop in Camarillo, CA that does 2200 deg. coating. I just sent my headers there and there is only a few day turnaround. PM me if you want the info.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
failsafe306

Thanks monkey, I'll pm you if the place in Chicago doesn't work out. Jet**** is overnighting my parts there.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by failsafe306
If all you want is 400whp, pick the kit you like best and have it professionally installed and tuned by a reputable shop, and you'll be happier than a pig in **** when you get it back.
That's good advice...it worked for me, anyway. Good luck with your car.

Quick Reply: Going FI was the worst decision I've ever made