Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help on the shake rattle and roll!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
ktown z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on the shake rattle and roll!

Heres the scenario- I haven't driven my car for about 2 weeks and it was in the garage. Today I decided to drive it. I stepped on the clutch and turned the ignition. A loud metal to metal grind noise was heard and I felt it in the clutch pedal. As I drove around the "clutch chatter" started getting louder and louder, it started to get play in the clutch pedal, and it got harder to get in gear. As I drove it home to park it the noise was a very loud rattle (like something was loose and rattling in a thick walled can). This noise was intermitten depending on if I depressed the clutch pedal. The car idles well and no smoke. I think my CLUTCH DONE BLOWED UP. I do have the jwt clutch and flywheel. Does anyone know what the h*ll this noise is? I didn't drive it hard before parking it or after starting it. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks man. if you jack the car up and remove the crank angle sensor, as it is at the very bottom of the bellhousing, you could atleast find metal shavings or if a bolt came loose. it might be a stretch though. sounds like you will need to pull it apart to see for sure though.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 PM
ktown z

Thanks, I remember reading a thread several years ago of a starter bolt working its way loose and ending up in the bell housing. I wonder if I take it to a shop if they can tell me if it is installer error. The shop that installed the clutch was very unproffesional. They left the two top most bolts on my bellhousing off and got the inside of my car very dirty. I guess I will take it to a tranny shop on monday. Will they have to remove my wastegates to drop the tranny?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:17 PM
overZealous1

i'm sure they will have to take them off (wastegates). trans needs to pull back about 5-6 inches to clear the input shaft.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Could be a bad TO bearing. Do you race this clutch and drive it hard? If the TO bearing seized up, it will make a horrible noise, as you described, when you depress the clutch pedal.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
ktown z

Yeah I drive it like I stole it. I will take it to a shop on monday morning. If it is the TO bearing, is that expensive to fix? I hope it didn't mess up the clutch and flywheel assembly because that would be money wasted. Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by ktown z
Yeah I drive it like I stole it. I will take it to a shop on monday morning. If it is the TO bearing, is that expensive to fix? I hope it didn't mess up the clutch and flywheel assembly because that would be money wasted. Thanks
The TO bearing is inexpensive, but the labor is going to be around $500-$800 to remove and replace the tranny. If the clutch is operating normally, aside from this noise, then its probably OK. If the TO bearing is seized, then the springs on your pressure plate are going to be destoryed, so that part will have to be replaced. On the ATS clutches, the spring and bolt kit is about $135. Has the clutch ever slipped at all? Do you drag race with this setup?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
ktown z

I took it to the shop today and the owner stated it was the input bearing. It will cost the same as putting in a new clutch. The clutch operated fine this morning and the noise would come and go. If I pressed the clutch all the way to the floor the noise would stop. The shop will have my car for a couple of days. Just when I save up some money to start on the engine build. Thanks for the support and I will keep you updated.