Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HELP with turbonetics kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:24 AM
foochdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often do you guys throw those codes? Is it due to the safe 11.5 A/F the TN kit shoots for? I don't mind clearing the code every once in a while but is this a daily occurance?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foochdawg
How often do you guys throw those codes? Is it due to the safe 11.5 A/F the TN kit shoots for? I don't mind clearing the code every once in a while but is this a daily occurance?
LOL...when I was running the Tnetics reflash, my "nice safe" A/F was in the 9.x:1 ratio from about 4200 RPM up to around 6400 RPM. People are discovering that the A/F ratios are all over the place with the reflash. Some folks are about right, some are WAY rich (like I was prior to the emanage install) and some (I think Ryan) are actually a little on the lean side. It's really a crap-shoot with the reflash, sad to say. Having gone down the road now, I'm a big proponent of the tuner version of this kit.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Phatmitzu

Im running too rich. Low 10s:1 at WOT. And Im throwing all kinds of codes. CEL came on a week after the install, and its been on ever since. Most of the time its the miss fire code.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 AM
foochdawg

That really sucks. I already started buying supporting mods for this kit and now the flashes are bad? I should have figured considering all the issues I saw with the flashes people were getting to get the most out of their mods. I don't have anyone around me that I trust enough to tune an emanage ultimate. And I am not familiar with how exactly it works, how to use it, how to adjust it, etc. Is there a tutorial anywhere I can read or something? I am a quick learner and am willing to learn anything givin the resources lol. How difficult is the Emanage ultimate to install? It is a piggy back correct? Is there a harness like that will plug in between the existing connector and the ECU which will have a connector to mount right up to the Emanage?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 AM
foochdawg

I apolagize for the hijacking, if you guys want to PM me, feel free.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 AM
kcobean

That really sucks. I already started buying supporting mods for this kit and now the flashes are bad? I should have figured considering all the issues I saw with the flashes people were getting to get the most out of their mods. I don't have anyone around me that I trust enough to tune an emanage ultimate. And I am not familiar with how exactly it works, how to use it, how to adjust it, etc. Is there a tutorial anywhere I can read or something? I am a quick learner and am willing to learn anything givin the resources lol. How difficult is the Emanage ultimate to install? It is a piggy back correct? Is there a harness like that will plug in between the existing connector and the ECU which will have a connector to mount right up to the Emanage?
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable trying to tune the Emanage on the street, even if you had a wideband O2, but that's just me, I'm a chicken like that.

As for install, it is a piggyback. You can do one of two things...a) splice into the ECU harness, or b) purchase the autosport harness that basically allows you to "plug and play". The latter is what I did. Check with ForgedInternals.com for pricing.

How far are you from AAM? If you need something that is a "day trip", they might be a good option for you.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 AM
bverschage

Originally Posted by kcobean
Yep, I get all three of those codes. Have you dyno'd yet or do you have a wideband to verify your A/F ratio? I'm guessing given the O2 codes you'll find yourself running a bit rich. Glad you got things figured out.

the car has not been on the Dyno yet, everyone here is at Sema. Yes i do have the wideband 02 sensors.

so is the car safe to run in boost?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:34 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by bverschage
the car has not been on the Dyno yet, everyone here is at Sema. Yes i do have the wideband 02 sensors.

so is the car safe to run in boost?
You say you have wideband O2 sensors..does that mean the ones that came on the car or did you install a Wideband sensor and gauge so that you can monitor your AFR in-car?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:37 AM
foochdawg

AAM? Aren't those the people that make the return fuel system? I am from Erie, PA. But I am currently living in Pittsburgh. Where is AAM?

And I wasn't planning on "tuning it on the street" lol. I just don't liek buying things and not know how they work. I want to know if there is an issue how to diagnose it more or less. How to pull information from it. Check things. Make sure the tuners are doing it right, etc. I don't plan on tuning it myself. I just don't buy things I don't understand lol. I don't want to be ignorant to ANYTHING that could hurt my Z lol
Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 AM
kcobean

AAM? Aren't those the people that make the return fuel system? I am from Erie, PA. But I am currently living in Pittsburgh. Where is AAM?

And I wasn't planning on "tuning it on the street" lol. I just don't liek buying things and not know how they work. I want to know if there is an issue how to diagnose it more or less. How to pull information from it. Check things. Make sure the tuners are doing it right, etc. I don't plan on tuning it myself. I just don't buy things I don't understand lol. I don't want to be ignorant to ANYTHING that could hurt my Z lol
Yes, AAM is the company that makes the fuel-system, but they are also a full-service shop with an in-ground dyno, etc. They are in Gaithersburg, MD so they're probably not more than a couple of hours from you. Give 'em a call.....http://www.alteredatmosphere.com.

As for interfacing with the Emanage, it's done via laptop/USB. I'd like to learn how to do some data logging as well on the Emanage, just to see it work. I wouldn't dare to change settings though.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
foochdawg

Ok, so I would have to buy the tuner kit, but what is lacking from that kit? I want the entire kit except the reflashed ECU. I think I remember saying the only things missing in the tuner kit is the injectors, fuel pump, and ECU flash. Is that right?

So I would have to buy my own 440cc injectors, a Walboro255 pump, and an Emanage, correct?

So if I install all that(I am pretty mechanically incluned and my father is a mechanic) will it be safe to drive down there? I would think it would be dumping WAY too much fuel in there. because nothing is telling it to hold back fuel. I am REALLY worried about doing that. And I don't have a trailor or a truck to tow it there. I could probably get one, but it is a hassle.

AAM is over 4 hours away from pittsburgh and 6 hours from erie.

Last edited by foochdawg; 11-04-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 AM
kcobean

Ok, so I would have to buy the tuner kit, but what is lacking from that kit? I want the entire kit except the reflashed ECU. I think I remember saying the only things missing in the tuner kit is the injectors, fuel pump, and ECU flash. Is that right?

So I would have to buy my own 440cc injectors, a Walboro255 pump, and an Emanage, correct?

So if I install all that(I am pretty mechanically incluned and my father is a mechanic) will it be safe to drive down there? I would think it would be dumping WAY too much fuel in there. because nothing is telling it to hold back fuel. I am REALLY worried about doing that. And I don't have a trailor or a truck to tow it there. I could probably get one, but it is a hassle.

Yes, the tuner kit would require you to procure your own injectors, pump, and fuel-management computer (Emanage). If you "self install", I'm positive that the emanage would need some basic programming to make the car safe to drive. I believe it would have to be told # of cylinders, injector size, and probably loaded with a base map of some kind. I'm not sure about all this though. You should talk with a tuner before you proceed for sure.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 AM
foochdawg

Great, looks like I may be going APS then. There is an Unichip dealer near me and right out of the box the car will be safe to drive it there(less than an hour away). I was really looking forward to this kit too. But that damn reflash. When you go tuner, but the pump, injectors, and emanage you are around the same price as APS. And APS will be safe to drive to tuner after install, this kit will not.

If the reflash is so crappy, why do so many people get it?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:14 AM
kcobean

Great, looks like I may be going APS then. There is an Unichip dealer near me and right out of the box the car will be safe to drive it there(less than an hour away). I was really looking forward to this kit too. But that damn reflash. When you go tuner, but the pump, injectors, and emanage you are around the same price as APS. And APS will be safe to drive to tuner after install, this kit will not.

If the reflash is so crappy, why do so many people get it?
I wouldn't call the reflash crappy. I think it's worked fine for more people than not. I just have really bad luck with such things. Honestly, if it's an issue for you, get the full tnetics kit, have the reflash done and drive the car. IF (and it is an if, it's not a when) you have problems with the reflash, you can add the Emanage after the fact and have it installed at the tuner. If you're sticking with stock power, you can use the 380cc injectors that came with the kit with no issues. That way, you're only looking at few extra dollars for Emanage install and tuning. The Turbonetics kit has way better 'show value' than the APS S/T kit and the performance is awesome. Don't change your mind based purely on the install.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
bverschage

You say you have wideband O2 sensors..does that mean the ones that came on the car or did you install a Wideband sensor and gauge so that you can monitor your AFR in-car?

i have the wideband sensors that came with the car, not aftermarket.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:46 AM
foochdawg

I wouldn't call the reflash crappy. I think it's worked fine for more people than not. I just have really bad luck with such things. Honestly, if it's an issue for you, get the full tnetics kit, have the reflash done and drive the car. IF (and it is an if, it's not a when) you have problems with the reflash, you can add the Emanage after the fact and have it installed at the tuner. If you're sticking with stock power, you can use the 380cc injectors that came with the kit with no issues. That way, you're only looking at few extra dollars for Emanage install and tuning. The Turbonetics kit has way better 'show value' than the APS S/T kit and the performance is awesome. Don't change your mind based purely on the install.
I wish there was like a percentage lol. I have horrible luck as well. You would not believe that crap I went through supercharging my eclipse. I do not want to go through that crap again lol. I'll probably do what you said, get the kit and then if something goes wrong, upgrade. But TN prices are going up $500 a kit and it's starting to get close to the APS kit. And I am big into car shows and I like where the turbo is placed for looks but not for under hood heat. But I haven't heard of any problems yet.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by bverschage
i have the wideband sensors that came with the car, not aftermarket.
Well, those don't really do you any good because they don't tell YOU how rich or lean the car is running. I would just be cautious until you can get it on a dyno just for the purpose of verifying that your AFR is safe. This will give you time to check for leaks and such as well. Chances are, if the install was done properly, you're fine, but are you willing to bet your engine on it?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:00 AM
kcobean

I wish there was like a percentage lol. I have horrible luck as well. You would not believe that crap I went through supercharging my eclipse. I do not want to go through that crap again lol. I'll probably do what you said, get the kit and then if something goes wrong, upgrade. But TN prices are going up $500 a kit and it's starting to get close to the APS kit. And I am big into car shows and I like where the turbo is placed for looks but not for under hood heat. But I haven't heard of any problems yet.
If you're concerned about under hood temperatures, WRAP all the exhaust piping before you do the install. I've heard this makes a HUGE difference in under-hood temps and before the pipes go in is definitely the time to do it. I wish I had it done, but I haven't had any problems yet either.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 AM
foochdawg

Where can you get good header/heat wrap? And about how much is that stuff?

Also, I know the whole point of heat wrap is to keep the heat in the pipes and stop it from getting the engine bay too hot, but will this have a negative effect on the turbo? You would think this would subject the turbo(internally) to A LOT more heat. Would this shorten the life of the turbo?

Last edited by foochdawg; 11-04-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Phatmitzu

Where can you get good header/heat wrap? And about how much is that stuff?
www.summitracing.com

About $50 for a 2" x 50' package.

Quick Reply: HELP with turbonetics kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!